Restaurant(s) Closing

Oneman

Dear Valued Customer,

Mi Casa will be closed from 28th February 2010
until further notice.
(emphasis added)

Su Casa also will be closed from 7th March 2010 until early April.

Received above email today.

Both restaurants owned by the same couple, and have been mentioned here on TV.

Is this the start of restaurants (and other businesses) closing in CM -- due to the economic depression -- or just a long vacation for the owners?

Business climate here seems very confused.

One one hand, lots of remodeling and construction of small shops and small shopping plazas -- like the new electronics plaza across from Chiangmai gate and the announced expansion of Chez Marco restaurant.

On the other hand, many small, marginal stores closing and many signs "for rent/sale" all over town.

I'm wondering if the world-wide depression is starting to hit here, and what the long-term effects will be.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Oneman,

"I'm wondering if the world-wide depression is starting to hit here, and what the long-term effects will be."

I would suggest that it already hit here somewhere around January 2008 and the long-term effects are what they are today. Just look at the amount of businesses that have already gone under, both Thai and farang owned. Other examples are the textile manufacturing industry for export to Japan and ceramic manufacturing industry in Lampang. There are practically no exports these days. They are still trying to sell the stocks in their warehouses from last year. Thousands of people in Northern Thailand are presently unemployed.

Other examples are the textile manufacturing industry for export to Japan and ceramic manufacturing industry in Lampang. There are practically no exports these days. They are still trying to sell the stocks in their warehouses from last year.

Useful observations: thank you for posting.

No exports = no jobs :: No jobs => then what?

Will they go back to the rice fields, and be satisfied in an idyllic, pastoral, scene, walking behind the water buffalo for the rest of their lives?

Or will they stay in town and steal loaves of bread bags of rice and, maybe, cell phones (and more) from rich farang?

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Edited by Oneman

People are being more careful how they spend their money. The original Dukes is full almost every single night and I usually have to make reservations in order to get a seat at Chez Marcos - unless I get very lucky. Some businesses that really give value for money are making even more money than before the "depression".

I am not a big fan of Mi Casa and although it does have a lovely ambiance and many satisfied customers, it seems that more people tend to agree with my feelings.

We're doing fine at The Olde Bell, as is Chez Marco, must be about location as has been mentioned here before. Pirice is also an issue. Palm Beer Garden Closed and their high prices couldn't have helped. Right location and value for money and you've still got a business. just!! I hope mi Casa comes back. Poor location but great food- different to the average.

IMO, if someone opens a business just to keep their GF off the streets it's bound to fail.

Thai's are notorious for having minimal business acumen. As an example there was a travel agency on the north side of Loi Kroh immediately east of the drain of scum (close to the Meridian) a monk told the owner why don't you open a branch just around the corner. They did and it closed within three months.

The monk said it was a good location and the owner believed him.

Maybe he (the owner) just opened the 2nd branch to launder some drug money, who knows :)

There are businesses and then there are businesses. There are places like O'Malleys, Red Lion, Mad Dog, Pun Pun, Spotlight, even the Irish Pub that are run by people with a bit of grey matter between their ears and there are the others run by people who wouldn't know shyt from Shinola.

Why do they go under? "go figure"

There are businesses and then there are businesses. There are places like O'Malleys, Red Lion, Mad Dog, Pun Pun, Spotlight, even the Irish Pub that are run by people with a bit of grey matter between their ears and there are the others run by people who wouldn't know shyt from Shinola.

Don't know about the other guys and their grey matter, but I think my head must be cracked as my grey matter seems to be leaking out all over my face and head..... no problem though as it seems also to be disappearing now ...

:)

Gonzo

It looks to me from the messages sent that Mi Casa is being done up while they go on holiday, whilst at Su Casa they know when they will be back from holiday, being Thailand they may have been told when the renovations at Mi Casa would be completed...but don't believe them, so rarther than give a date I think it very wise to say "until further notice"

I enjoy dining there, however the last time I went (Valentines Day) I was 20 minutes late and got a "Your late" greeting instead of a "wecome" from the woman who seemed to be in charge.

But it did not stop our enjoyment of the wonderful banquet they gave us