Have You Found Your Job Locally?

frenchFARANGbkk

Hi,

Just would like to know if many of you have found your current job when you where already in LOS or if you have been sent by your company in the west?

Just to know if it's easy to find a job locally (except teacher, because we know already it's easy to find).

Thanks.

Hi,

Just would like to know if many of you have found your current job when you where already in LOS or if you have been sent by your company in the west?

Just to know if it's easy to find a job locally (except teacher, because we know already it's easy to find).

Thanks.

Salut FrenchBKK,

If you want to work here legally -sans donner cours d'anglais - than try to get it from abroad. Chances are slim you'll find a legal job here when you are already here. Although not impossible, depending on your midset, personality and the contacts you make.

If you're not bothered about legalities, than LOS is like most other countries, but I'm afraid as this is a public board, I can't help you.

I used to work, the last year and half legally.

:o

Hi,

Thanks.

I was brought in by my company in Singapore for a 6 months contract. Completed the contract, went travelling, and was asked by my Thai boss if I wanted to work directly for the company for another project. When that job finnished, another one came along (with another company), then another one, and I just started my 5th contract (with my 4th company)here in Bangkok. 7 years and counting.......

My advise - unless you have contacts here - offer yourself at or below local salary (yes, it will cost you!), and then when you have showed what you are good for, and got a foot inside the industri/business, you MAY (!) be offered better terms/positions. It is not easy, but it is not impossible either. There is only one way you will find out.....

Trond

Don't totally disregard teaching--it can lead to other things. In my experience, I taught for 4 years (not that you would have to do it for this long--I just happened to really enjoy it), made contacts, got to know people and moved into other jobs, including a stint in a Thai government office (through an NGO). I'm now in a multinational advertising agency--none of this would have been possible if I hadn't been looking from within Thailand as interviews, and other face-to-face meetings are your best way in. Keep an eye out in the classifieds of the BKK Post & Nation...opportuntities for foreigners do often turn up there, dependent on your experience, of course (if you've got a Master's degree, you're a shoo-in for the tons of NGO and non-profit jobs around--and there are indeed other opportunities for those without). Persistence and making contact is key--all of which is best done from here. If you can get a job from the West that will send you here, all the better--but I figure you'd probably have to devote a few years to them in the home country before they'd ship you out to represent them overseas.

Just my spin on things...

alough not thailand, i came here following a bad typo experiance - on my third mission i decided to stay and go for it on my own - the most flattering comment came from a potential competitor of mine - "we'll offer you a job because we can't compete with you"

win win.