Does The Situation In Your Home Country Affect How You Feel About Thailand?

Jingthing

For example, Americans have issues with access to health care that almost all other westerners do not have.

Most every yank I know loves their health care, so I would think your statement is pretty much a small %.

That is true about the vast majority of Americans which is why Obama can not get his health "plan" passed. whistling.gif

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At present, the economic downturns does not concern me. To start, we never live beyond our means, everything we own we paid cash for it......house, cars, kids education, furnitures, vacation, expensive gadgets .... The words 'loan' and ' lay-away' are alienate to us.

God Bless America !

Thank You for your post.

You will do well as living debt free is the way to go.

Chok Dee to you & yours

Edited by flying

I'm 68. Thailand today feels like the 50's were in the USA = freedom from the civil suits that prevail now in the USA. Fun hayrides disappeared one year and never returned due to suits for example. The term "Land of the Free" is more appropriate for Thailand now than for the USA. Thailand is more fun (in a good sense).

I'm 60 and my sentiments exactly.

And from another perspective: When I left the USA 7 years ago, my industry was at the peak of a cycle. Many of my friends and all my work colleagues thought I was crazy to change careers and accept a salary at 10% of my US wage. I was seeking a dream-job in academia and a less-stress environment.

In the last two years, the severe recession broke the back of that industry and now most of my former work colleagues are out of work, struggling with mortgages, taking low-level service jobs that can't pay the bills, pulling their kids out of college, and selling that second car (usually the 4x4 guzzler). To say the least, most of them now envy the move I made.

You bet it affects how I feel about Thailand! :)

For example, Americans have issues with access to health care that almost all other westerners do not have.

Most every yank I know loves their health care, so I would think your statement is pretty much a small %.

Well your personal sample of Yanks does NOT represent the actual reality in America, mate.

Overall, more Americans say they will be either disappointed or

angry if Congress decides to stop working on health care reform than say they will feel happy or relieved.

http://www.kff.org/kaiserpolls/upload/8051-F.pdf

^Hmmm seems PM of Canada likes Yank Healthcare - he basically said its my heart and I will seek the best treatment which is obviously yankland. (heart surgery)

Yanks are fortunate to have a great medical system from what I see, only wish it was the same in the UK.

Edited by britmaveric

^Hmmm seems PM of Canada likes Yank Healthcare - he basically said its my heart and I will seek the best treatment which is obviously yankland. (heart surgery)

Completely false info. Please check your facts before posting. Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

Sep 2 2009, 2:47 pm by Derek Thompson

Public or Private, Americans Love Their Health Care

Gallup has a new poll on American attitudes toward healthcare coverage and quality. The key number here is 80: About 80 percent of Americans call their plan "Excellent or Good," whether it's private or public care. Is that good or bad news for health care reform?

http://business.theatlantic.com/2009/09/pu...health_care.php

britmaverick is usually right. :)

Before I flip-flopped over where my wife and I would live, until last year. My wife and I went back to the States (Arkansas) last year and spent the Spring, Summer, and Fall there. I was looking forward to it very much since I hadn't been there in 5 years. I was thinking about seeing a few of my friends and going to all the places I wanted to take my wife. After I got there it wasn't the same. Rarely saw friends, too expensive to go anywhere (gas), and I was tired and wanted to be lazy. My wife and I did a lot of fishing in the creeks and river, some camping, and horseback riding. It was nice and enjoyable. However, with the job I have now, my wife and I will be set financially for at least 15 years, living comfortably, after 3 more years of work. As far as work in Thailand, I don't plan to look for a job there to pay the bills. I am working and saving now so that I don't have to. Not the same in the States. After the cost of living, taxes, and everything else, a person goes through a lot of money. The comment that was made about the politics is how I feel also. It has become so much of "we don't want this because they do" "that's bad because they say it's good" a bunch of whining, bickering kids. I am fed up with it and it affects my life. The politicians are playing games with the well-being of the citizens. Is there a right or wrong thing to do? I don't know. I just want to have a good life with my wife where ever we may be.

I also feel similar to mojaco. I am only 30, but am old fashioned and conservative. I feel that while I am in Issan, I have much more freedom to live by than I would in the U.S. Maybe its just paranoia, but I am always looking over my shoulder in the U.S. In Udon I only have to worry about motorbikes and finding the ice cream vendor. No worries for me there.

Before I flip-flopped over where my wife and I would live, until last year. My wife and I went back to the States (Arkansas) last year and spent the Spring, Summer, and Fall there. I was looking forward to it very much since I hadn't been there in 5 years. I was thinking about seeing a few of my friends and going to all the places I wanted to take my wife. After I got there it wasn't the same. Rarely saw friends, too expensive to go anywhere (gas), and I was tired and wanted to be lazy. My wife and I did a lot of fishing in the creeks and river, some camping, and horseback riding. It was nice and enjoyable. However, with the job I have now, my wife and I will be set financially for at least 15 years, living comfortably, after 3 more years of work. As far as work in Thailand, I don't plan to look for a job there to pay the bills. I am working and saving now so that I don't have to. Not the same in the States. After the cost of living, taxes, and everything else, a person goes through a lot of money. The comment that was made about the politics is how I feel also. It has become so much of "we don't want this because they do" "that's bad because they say it's good" a bunch of whining, bickering kids. I am fed up with it and it affects my life. The politicians are playing games with the well-being of the citizens. Is there a right or wrong thing to do? I don't know. I just want to have a good life with my wife where ever we may be.

Good honest post. I think that many can relate to how you feel. I left the U.S. to live in Thailand after having a career and spending just about everything I earned to survive. Here in Thailand it's much easier. The cost of living is reasonable. The people as a country, compared to the U.S., are much happier. If the U.S. was as it was in the 60's or even the 70's I would feel much differently. However, who knows what will happen next in the U.S.? The U.S. is definitely headed in the wrong direction. Thailand has a culture that is centuries old. Frankly, I feel more comfortable here even though I don't speak the language (which is really a strange realization). This is my home now. Not the U.S.

I know a lot of falangs in LOS complain a lot about being descriminated against. I think its simply a matter of them not being able to be the "Alpha Dog" maybe they once were. I, myself, have really had no problems to speak of. I feel that I have always been treated with respect. I don't dress rich or flash any money around either. When at the market I will haggle a little when possible just to show that I know a little about how things work and at times give a little than better tip when its appropriate. I have always found Thailand to be quite hospitable and accomodating. More so in the village. When I first moved to my wife's village and would go for a walk-about, the residents would just loooook at me and whisper to each other who I was and the kids would keep an eye on me as I seemed to stand out a bit (maybe its the whiteness of my skin and my rather big beard lol). But after a while, I would stop in a see some of the ladies cleaning onions and strike up a chat and wish them a good day. As far as I'm concerned, I am respeted because I respect them.

Not sure what its like in America, but in England the shopping malls are jam packed with shoppers, more then anytime in the 70s, 80s or 90s.

As for jobs, i was selling overseas property until a couple of years ago when business stopped, since then ive been in the oil industry and am getting job offers left right and centre from all over the planet, i left school at 15 hence have no degree and only have job specific qualifications that took about 2 months to get, my best mate set up a company selling VW's and is making a fortune and not 1 friend is out of work and most are in manual trades.

Maybe the recession will kick in when interest rates and taxes go up and Gordon stops printing money but for now i dont think its that bad.

However ive left the police state due to not wanting to pay 1 penny in tax to NuLabour or any of the 3 main political partys, aswell as the Big Brother nanny state, taxes that will soon go through the roof which will be paying for an even bigger government, needless beauracrats who wish to control my life and fine me for everything, being taxed to fund wealthy banks and bankers aswell as single mothers who get a free house for opening their legs and get 8 years of never having to look for a job funded by the taxpayer.

I'll not be returning anytime in the next 5 years even to visit, though i am buying a plot of land as one never knows what the future holds and a plan B is always necessary.

Not sure what its like in America, but in England the shopping malls are jam packed with shoppers, more then anytime in the 70s, 80s or 90s.

As for jobs, i was selling overseas property until a couple of years ago when business stopped, since then ive been in the oil industry and am getting job offers left right and centre from all over the planet, i left school at 15 hence have no degree and only have job specific qualifications that took about 2 months to get, my best mate set up a company selling VW's and is making a fortune and not 1 friend is out of work and most are in manual trades.

Maybe the recession will kick in when interest rates and taxes go up and Gordon stops printing money but for now i dont think its that bad.

However ive left the police state due to not wanting to pay 1 penny in tax to NuLabour or any of the 3 main political partys, aswell as the Big Brother nanny state, taxes that will soon go through the roof which will be paying for an even bigger government, needless beauracrats who wish to control my life and fine me for everything, being taxed to fund wealthy banks and bankers aswell as single mothers who get a free house for opening their legs and get 8 years of never having to look for a job funded by the taxpayer.

I'll not be returning anytime in the next 5 years even to visit, though i am buying a plot of land as one never knows what the future holds and a plan B is always necessary.

That's how it is to some degree in America, and continuing to get worse as it is in the UK. Really ridiculous. It's the main reason why I am here in the LOS.

I think a lot of expats have a tendency to tell themselves things that aren't true or exaggerate.

"massive long term employment" - there is no massive unemployment. If you are very low skilled, low skilled jobs are not that hard to come by. If you have specific skills, you will be recruited hard by companies and compensation packages will reflect it. In contrast, as a foreigner, what sorts of jobs are available to you in Thailand? It seems like very, very few people can do anything aside from being a teacher because of various reasons.

"skyrocketing health care costs and lack of access for so many" - most employers in USA offer heath insurance. Otherwise, high deductible insurance is very cheap. If you need emergency treatment, you will not be turned away anywhere and this is why you have Mexican nationals crossing the border to receive care. I hear stories about one procedure costing X in USA and X in Thailand, which is true, but these figures don't apply to vast majority of people in the US because they pay less than they would in Thailand because of health insurance. I looked at some procedures in Thailand and none of them made financial sense for me. The exception being cosmetic procedures that are not covered by health insurance.

"political gridlock" - political gridlock is a lot better than a coup and civil unrest. What do you think will happen when the King eventually dies? I don't see this as a negative.

Maybe I have been reading the wrong stuff. Your info seems to be much more positive. I have read nothing positive in a long time. I will add a few from this morning read for you to consider.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/spl2/debt-ring-of-fire.html

http://www.financialadvisory.com/article/2...rge-in-january/

http://seekingalpha.com/article/190412-nar...rce=from_friend

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/02/24...rd-low-january/

http://www.cnbc.com/id/35558503

http://www.prisonplanet.com/fdic-hits-reco...-9-billion.html

http://www.vancouversun.com/

http://247wallst.com/2010/02/23/underwater...t-11-3-million/

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Regulators-r...ml?x=0&.v=1

http://www.nationalpolicyinstitute.org/201...cy+Institute%29

Again, these articles are from this mornings read. Perhaps you could share some of your good news articles with me as I could use some cheering up.

That is true about the vast majority of Americans which is why Obama can not get his health "plan" passed. whistling.gif

Wrong again,

They like it if they can get it. However, 50,000 Americans die per year just because they can't get it, and that doesn't begin to count the people who die earlier than they should have because of long term lack of access to care for easily treated chronic diseases. It is a fact recognized by the American Medical Association that the US system is the most expensive in the world and has very poor outcomes relative to the money spent. WHO rates the US system 37th. Educated Americans know this. Sadly, uneducated Sarah Palin types believe the mindless nationalistic pablum lies that the US system is the best in the world, when actually it is the worst in the western industrialized world. BTW, a health reform package WILL be passed in the US within the next few months. It won't be as good as it could be though, and well short of what is really needed, a Euro/Canadian system.

Today's Washington Post --

Despite differences, Pelosi sees 'positive result' from reform

By John Amick

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said she is confident that once priorities are hashed out and the Senate has acted on health care reform, the House will move forward with a "very positive result" in final passage.

Edited by Jingthing

Understood that this should be more Thai related. However, we do have many Americans in Thailand and some of them (including me) were attracted to Thailand because of easier access to affordable health care in Thailand vs. the US. So in that sense it is Thai related. If my country had a Canadian health care system I would be more attracted to move back. I know for a fact many older Americans move back to the US to take advantage of the government health care program for those over 65 (especially if they get sick). In this sense the economics and politics and specifically the health care systems in our home countries does have a real impact on expats. It is also related to this thread because the US economy is very bad now, it is very, very difficult to get jobs there now, and in the US (unlike other countries) health care access under age 65 is directly linked to employment.

Edited by Jingthing

It certainly does ruin the sentiments of a return flight, albeit we all have our own personal reasons for the frying-pan-over-fire presumptions.

I would not be so tenacious about remaining in Thailand if Australia was once again the civilised country it used to be. Fact is though, it was because I speak a little of the basic language that I chose here before Bangladesh or somewhere I might have felt welcome, beyond all the hip-hoorays I give for the culture and higher ideals that it's probably best not to elaborate on.

The main point IMHO, is that Thailand is a civilised country, but surely it's not the only one left on this planet.

Have to assume you're joking. Thailand is a civilised country?

Concur.

Was it civilised what Thaksin did?

Civilised what happened in the South?

Mmm...I don't think so.. :)

Thailand is a relatively young "pseudo-democracy"...Give it another 50 years and it's "political system" might be what one would consider "civilised"...But with this chaos comes a certain amount of individual liberty.

Like many posters I feel "freer" in Thailand as opposed to my home country, the UK. Although certain aspects of Thai society are extremely worrying.

When Thailand has a healthcare system like the UK, the rule of law like the UK, perhaps even a political system like the UK or many other western democracies it'll be a better, fairer and safer place to live.

I still love it though :D

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Putting my money where my mouth is:

I have watched the USA over the last 10 years while both political and economic arrogance dwindled, and though on some previous visits I was the 'poor cousin' teaching in Thailand, now I avoid talking about my lifestyle to keep from kindling envy in some of my relatives.

My students in Thailand have largely expressed skepticism over my country's behaviour.

When I have been confronted in the case of the recent health care debate with friends back home who for some reason were jumping on the 'no public healthcare' train, I pointed out how Thailand was a country where for many people there truly ISN'T any real public healthcare (never mind the 30B aspirins available) and how that works- it tends to temper the debate.

. . . and to think Labour will likely win the GE!

It certainly does ruin the sentiments of a return flight, albeit we all have our own personal reasons for the frying-pan-over-fire presumptions.

I would not be so tenacious about remaining in Thailand if Australia was once again the civilised country it used to be. Fact is though, it was because I speak a little of the basic language that I chose here before Bangladesh or somewhere I might have felt welcome, beyond all the hip-hoorays I give for the culture and higher ideals that it's probably best not to elaborate on.

The main point IMHO, is that Thailand is a civilised country, but surely it's not the only one left on this planet.

Have to assume you're joking. Thailand is a civilised country?

Not the point though - I check the UK news every morning and find it more depressing by the day. The 'elite' are obviously taking everything they can whilst the country is being ruined. One can only hope that the people will eventually say 'no more'. But there are no signs that that will happen. As I say, depressing.

Agree totally with you and not to mention the amount of people that have been let into Briton to drain all our resources. NHS, housing and labour. You pay national insurance but have to wait a week to see a doctor, it wasn't like that when I was at school. Thailand has its faults but you don't get a £100 parking fine from a camera when stopping to let someone out of your car....

That's how it is to some degree in America, and continuing to get worse as it is in the UK. Really ridiculous. It's the main reason why I am here in the LOS.

I came "this close" (closes finger and thumb nearly together) to moving from London to Thailand this Christmas, but instead took up a job offer which will probably mean I'll keep the West as my base for the next 20 years whilst I put my kids through education, now they're of school age.

Can't agree with the OP that he's "missing something really bad" in the West at the moment. House prices may not be going up as fast as before, but in the UK, they are at least going back up. Employment is not easy to find, but there seems to be a fair amount of opportunities in the industry I'm in.

I guess it all does depend on the stage of life you're at. If you've already "made it" and are closer to retirement age than being a teenager, I can't say I'd find much reason to encourage anyone to move back to the West. But if one is 30-40, it's a big risk dropping out of your career to spend the rest of your life in flip-flops, even if you may feel you've "made it" already.

My country (UK) has never been a place that I would live. It's been on the slide since the early seventies and is, as far as I'm concerned, a sinking ship. Whether I'd chosen Thailand would not have made any difference to that fact. Sadly, during nearly 30 years in LOS, I feel that western culture is making big inroads here but then, that is the nature of so called "development" Is it not?

I can definately relate to your feelings JT, as far as having the same thoughts in regards to Australia. I came back in November and expected to pick up a bit of casual work for a few months..usually a snap at the busy time before christmas, but no, even at Xmas time this year business aint what it used to be. The working class can no longer afford the basic cost of living so the rich with their greed are tightening the screws even more.

In my working life ive always worked to the budget of rent (or housing, loans ect) being roughly 25% of income, but now the next generation (if they are lucky enough to get a job) is burning upto 50% of their income for rent, and THEN in some cities they are considered lucky to even get that house in the first place. :)

THEN add utilities, schooling for kids, health care and insurance and you would be lucky to save anything at all for the future

This to me is a disgusting state of affairs and the worst part is all the cream is going to the rich old greedy generation..our lot..those who are already set up, not needing the extra money, but yet still wanting to get even richer off the backs of those starting out.

And no wonder there are so many social problems, alcohol, violence, drugs and gambling addictions :D

We are now seeing the consequences of our greed robbing away all hope from the future of our young. If we let this continue then we will soon see a world where our young ordinary decent citizens will soon take on the same sort of thinking as terrorists. Actually its happening now.

I dont think JT is being overly negative at all, this is just the beginning of sorrows IMO.

Somethings gotta change BIG time.

Edited by ozzieovaseas