Thai Personal Income Tax Withholding

Like most of you, I need to fill out my Thai income taxes before the end of next month. Repeated attempts by me to my ex employer for the data so I can fill this out have gone unanswered.

Is there a way to obtain this information directly from the government tax office? If so, how? What are the deadlines for the company to file the necessary PND 53 and other associated forms? Are they required by law to send this information to me also if I request it?

My ex employer and I have always been on speaking terms before, so I've never been faced with this problem. What is the appropriate solution when confronted with a recalcitrant ex employer? Since I was not provided with pay slips for most of last year, I have no records of my own as to what they actually did.

How should I proceed?

try get tax certificate from your ex-employer

:)

The tax office issues a tax certificate (the tax card with your tax ID number on it), not the employer.

The OP is looking for a statement of wages and tax withheld.

I believe employers are required to make this available by the end of February, to give you one month to file your taxes before the March 31st deadline.

If your employer is western, tell them you will be reporting them to the local tax office if a tax slip is not provided by March 1.

If your employer is Thai, that won't work--threatening will just worsen the situation. Simply go to the tax office and report them (take as much information as you can to identify the employer: address, phone, owner name, bank, employer tax ID number, etc.), and then ask the tax people what you should do next.

You may also want to review this English-language website of Thailand's revenue dept.

This separate website has an English call center which can also help you.

Good luck!

Your ex-employer has to provide you with this form.

post-3742-1266996173_thumb.jpg

If he refuses he probably did not forward your taxes as required. In fact you should have got this paper once you terminated your employment.

The Revenue department will have records but if he did not pay your taxes you'll have to pay them when filing your PND91

opalhort

"If your employer is Thai, that won't work--threatening will just worsen the situation. Simply go to the tax office and report them..."

It won't work, but report them anyway? I agree with the latter part. Contact the tax office and tell them your ex emp hasn't/won't give you the info.

They'll either call them and get it, or look up the info on the computer.

===========

"The Revenue department will have records but if he did not pay your taxes you'll have to pay them when filing your PND91"

I believe their is a provision that if the employer didn't pay, assuming he deducted them from your salary, that they can be held responsible.

If they didn't deduct anything from you, you are going to have to pay if anything is due.

"The Revenue department will have records but if he did not pay your taxes you'll have to pay them when filing your PND91"

I believe their is a provision that if the employer didn't pay, assuming he deducted them from your salary, that they can be held responsible.

If they didn't deduct anything from you, you are going to have to pay if anything is due.

Correct.

But the employee needs evidence that the tax was deducted at source of payment!

If the employer did not deduct the tax from his salary the employee will have to pay it at filing time.

If the employer did deduct the tax but did not pay it to the Revenue department the employee will still have to pay the outstanding tax at filing time (or face late payment fines!).

In this case the employee has to claim the amount from his ex-employer even it it means going through the courts.

opalhort

I have found the people at the Revenue offices (local, in your district, not necessarily the HQ) to be very helpful.

If you go there and tell them your problem, there's a good chance they'll call up your old employer on the spot right in front of you, and that'l surely "jolt" your old employer just enough to supply you with everything you need.