Married - Which Hand Do You Wear Ring On?

britmaveric

What hand do you wear your wedding ring on?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Western custom is if you are married you wear your ring finger on the left hand. However Thai is the direct opposite and right indicates married or taken.

Although I am not married I wear my rings on my left hand - which makes my Thai Gf happy. :o

Any thoughts?

Western custom is if you are married you wear your ring finger on the left hand. However Thai is the direct opposite and right indicates married or taken.

This statement is not 100% correct. There are European countries where the tradition for the wedding ring is the right hand.

I'd had many discussions with former colleagues on this matter, none of which has either resolved the differences or been able to come up with a plausible explanation.

Any offers?

Edited by Thomas_Merton

This statement is not 100% correct. There are European countries where the tradition for the wedding ring is the right hand.

I'd had many discussions with former colleagues on this matter, none of which has either resolved the differences or been able to come up with a plausible explanation.

Any offers?

:o Stupidly, I asked the wife, and got the reply that it did not matter, but if I wasn't sure, why don't I buy her another ring for the other hand! :D

Stupidly, I asked the wife, and got the reply that it did not matter, but if I wasn't sure, why don't I buy her another ring for the other hand!

Geez, and you didn't see that coming from a mile away? How long have you been married? :o

Stupidly, I asked the wife, and got the reply that it did not matter, but if I wasn't sure, why don't I buy her another ring for the other hand!

Geez, and you didn't see that coming from a mile away? How long have you been married? :D

:o

Where I come from there is this nursery rhyme that ends '...with rings on her fingers and bells on her toes, she shall have music wherever she goes!'

So, prepare your budget for all twenty digits!

My Thai wife to, has often wished for an additional differently-coloured' ring set, like white gold, to complement her new-found fashion attire! Will it never end?

The origins of the wedding ring are a bit unclear. It seems to have symbolised being someone else's possession (men didn't wear wedding rings) in the same way as slaves wore a thumb ring to indicate their status.

Gradually, it became an iterm of jewellery rather than of obedience (yeah, right - ask my gf about that!) and the practice of wearing a ring on the third finger of the left hand stems from the ancient belief that the vein from that finger is connected directly to the heart.

Germans (and others) wear them on the right hand. No idea why. Ask a German.

Never worn one :D

Long time ago when I was an apprentice "Spark"one of our guys used to wear a expensive chunky goldy one plus matching watch until one day while doing some testing works he had to put his hand between some 3 phase supply bus bars....... :o

I understand many Europeans wear their wedding ring on the right hand

as it's close to the heart.

That's the hand you put over your heart when you sing your national anthem or do a pledge.

My wife and I both wear our wedding rings on the 3rd finger on the left hand...

Thinking about it though, we also both wear rings on our 3rd finger on the right hand, so I guess we're covered both ways... :D

RE Mainland Europeans wearing on the right hand.... probably did it to be different from us Brits... same as the "driving on the wrong side of the road" thing..! :o

totster :D

Hi,

In Denmark, most married couples wear the ring on the RIGHT hand. Anyway, some Danes clam that the wedding ring belongs to the left hand. BUT that is incorrect, and may be an imported trend from Hollywood movies or the like.

I have that understanding that in Thailand, if you wear a ring, you have it on your LEFT hand. Especially the American trend with a BIG diamond on the LEFT hand for the woman.

However, it seems like many BIG, BIG diamond rings (often a bad quality as it looks yellow…) on the bride's LEFT hand are to disappear after the wedding party as it was a FACE thing only and can be sold afterwards.

I have never heard about wedding rings on the RIGHT hand in Thailand?

BTW, to wear the ring on the LEFT hand can be practical, in particularly if you use soft Thai gold or a BIG yellow diamond, as that hand normally is more active than the right.

Edited by KronbergTH

Although I am not married I wear my rings on my left hand - which makes my Thai Gf happy. :o

Any thoughts?

I wear my wedding ring on the right hand. My husband is the Dane. I belive the Danes ware their wedding ring on the right hand.

Hi,

In Denmark, most married couples wear the ring on the RIGHT hand. Anyway, some Danes clam that the wedding ring belongs to the left hand. BUT that is incorrect, and may be an imported trend from Hollywood movies or the like.

I have that understanding that in Thailand, if you wear a ring, you have it on your LEFT hand. Especially the American trend with a BIG diamond on the LEFT hand for the woman.

However, it seems like many BIG, BIG diamond rings (often a bad quality as it looks yellow…) on the bride's LEFT hand are to disappear after the wedding party as it was a FACE thing only and can be sold afterwards.

BTW, to wear the ring on the LEFT hand can be practical, in particularly if you use soft Thai gold or a BIG yellow diamond, as that hand normally is more active than the right.

At the risk of diverting this thread to a discussion on Danish customs...

My first wife (who was Danish) and I, during our time in Copenhagen (over 20 years), always wore our rings on our left hands.

We were aware there were some Danes who used the right hand, but in Copenhagen, they were, as far as we could observe, in the minority.

We always had the opinion that the right handed wedding rings were mostly worn by those closely following their Jysk traditions (those from the mainland of Jylland).

This mainland being connected to Germany and therefore, perhaps more influenced by the German custom.

Never worn one :D

Long time ago when I was an apprentice "Spark"one of our guys used to wear a expensive chunky goldy one plus matching watch until one day while doing some testing works he had to put his hand between some 3 phase supply bus bars....... :o

For this reason I do not wear a ring. It is smart IMHO

My wife does not wear a specific wedding ring either, she has never asked about it and I have never mentioned.

Each to his/her own I guess

I wear a ring on the ring finger of my right hand and am frequently asked by Thais (who point at the ring) if I am married - but perhaps this has nothing to do with which hand it is on and just the ring itself which is silver and plain. Im aware its a common question regardless.

Have to ask the girlfriend..

Edited by OxfordWill

Hi, In Denmark, most married couples wear the ring on the RIGHT hand. Anyway, some Danes clam that the wedding ring belongs to the left hand. BUT that is incorrect, and may be an imported trend from Hollywood movies or the like. I have that understanding that in Thailand, if you wear a ring, you have it on your LEFT hand. Especially the American trend with a BIG diamond on the LEFT hand for the woman. However, it seems like many BIG, BIG diamond rings (often a bad quality as it looks yellow…) on the bride's LEFT hand are to disappear after the wedding party as it was a FACE thing only and can be sold afterwards. I have never heard about wedding rings on the RIGHT hand in Thailand? BTW, to wear the ring on the LEFT hand can be practical, in particularly if you use soft Thai gold or a BIG yellow diamond, as that hand normally is more active than the right.

At the risk of diverting this thread to a discussion on Danish customs... My first wife (who was Danish) and I, during our time in Copenhagen (over 20 years), always wore our rings on our left hands. We were aware there were some Danes who used the right hand, but in Copenhagen, they were, as far as we could observe, in the minority. We always had the opinion that the right handed wedding rings were mostly worn by those closely following their Jysk traditions (those from the mainland of Jylland). This mainland being connected to Germany and therefore, perhaps more influenced by the German custom.

I am theologian, so I think I know what I am talking about when I say, wedding rings belong to the right hand in Denmark...

Hi, In Denmark, most married couples wear the ring on the RIGHT hand. Anyway, some Danes clam that the wedding ring belongs to the left hand. BUT that is incorrect, and may be an imported trend from Hollywood movies or the like. I have that understanding that in Thailand, if you wear a ring, you have it on your LEFT hand. Especially the American trend with a BIG diamond on the LEFT hand for the woman. However, it seems like many BIG, BIG diamond rings (often a bad quality as it looks yellow…) on the bride's LEFT hand are to disappear after the wedding party as it was a FACE thing only and can be sold afterwards. I have never heard about wedding rings on the RIGHT hand in Thailand? BTW, to wear the ring on the LEFT hand can be practical, in particularly if you use soft Thai gold or a BIG yellow diamond, as that hand normally is more active than the right.

At the risk of diverting this thread to a discussion on Danish customs... My first wife (who was Danish) and I, during our time in Copenhagen (over 20 years), always wore our rings on our left hands. We were aware there were some Danes who used the right hand, but in Copenhagen, they were, as far as we could observe, in the minority. We always had the opinion that the right handed wedding rings were mostly worn by those closely following their Jysk traditions (those from the mainland of Jylland). This mainland being connected to Germany and therefore, perhaps more influenced by the German custom.

I am theologian, so I think I know what I am talking about when I say, wedding rings belong to the right hand in Denmark...

Wasn't sure it was a theological question - I thought the use of rings predated even the late arrival of Christianity to Denmark. Also despite having officially a high number of members in the Folkekirke (because all birth registration procedures have to take place through the parish church offices), Denmark has one of the lowest, if not the lowest, church attendance records in Europe.

It would be interesting if you could display your knowledge and therefore explain why Denmark should have another tradition from e.g. the UK.

I just googled and this is what I came up with

Post-wedding customs

Before medical science discovered how the circulatory system functioned, people believed that a vein of blood ran directly from the fourth finger on the left hand to the heart. (This belief allegedly dates to the 3rd century BC in Greece.) Because of the hand-heart connection, people named the putative vein descriptively vena amori, Latin for "the vein of love". Due to this tradition, it became accepted to wear the wedding ring on this finger. By wearing rings on the fourth finger of their left hands, a married couple symbolically declares their eternal love for each other. This has now become a matter of tradition and etiquette.

Western Christians and traditionalists who revere Western European culture wear the ring on the left hand, while Orthodox Christians, East Europeans and Jews traditionally wear it on the right hand.

Etiquette frowns severely on the making of sexual overtures to a man or woman wearing a wedding ring.

totster :o

The Danes have always been a little special. :o

The Swedes, Norwegians and Finish people all where them on their left hand(unless connected with some minority-religion). Probably Icelanders too, but I have only meet single ones. ^^

Where my ring on the left and so does my wife.

Hi,

Also the Danes celebrate Christmas on Christmas EVE. Go figure! On the left thats what i was lead to believe. That everyone done. Until i read this thread. My missus wears her engagement ring on the left hand and shes Thai.

Wasn't sure it was a theological question - I thought the use of rings predated even the late arrival of Christianity to Denmark. Also despite having officially a high number of members in the Folkekirke (because all birth registration procedures have to take place through the parish church offices), Denmark has one of the lowest, if not the lowest, church attendance records in Europe.

It would be interesting if you could display your knowledge and therefore explain why Denmark should have another tradition from e.g. the UK.

err.. 1-0? :o

Hi,

Exactly, no Thai told me that they wear it on the right hand in Thailand, so who's wrong?

I just know that Thai men often do not wear it not to make it difficult to find Mia Noi...

;-) and that Thai wife accept...

And I confirm that even in France it's ont the left hand, but are you sure for German on the right? Never heard about it!

Actually I was thinking people wear a ring on the right hand when they are engaged but not yet married.

In Germany, engagement ring on the left and wedding band on the right hand.

Not so in Switzerland, just across the border, wedding ring on the left.

Oh well. Decided long time ago not to wear any.

Wasn't sure it was a theological question - I thought the use of rings predated even the late arrival of Christianity to Denmark. Also despite having officially a high number of members in the Folkekirke (because all birth registration procedures have to take place through the parish church offices), Denmark has one of the lowest, if not the lowest, church attendance records in Europe.It would be interesting if you could display your knowledge and therefore explain why Denmark should have another tradition from e.g. the UK.

What ever church attendance records, most Danes are still baptized, confirmed, married, and buried in the Danish National Church, and the minister are still the one to putt the rings on the fingers (even that is a new Church ritual). And that has nothing to do with any birth registration procedures.

Wedding on the RIGHT, and engagement on the left, but some do it opposite. Many are very confused, and that may be the main reason for a mix-up and for using Hollywood traditions.

I have no idea why it is different in UK, Thailand, USA, etc. I am just telling about how we do it in Denmark and how I have experienced it in Kingdom.

Wasn't sure it was a theological question - I thought the use of rings predated even the late arrival of Christianity to Denmark. Also despite having officially a high number of members in the Folkekirke (because all birth registration procedures have to take place through the parish church offices), Denmark has one of the lowest, if not the lowest, church attendance records in Europe.It would be interesting if you could display your knowledge and therefore explain why Denmark should have another tradition from e.g. the UK.

What ever church attendance records, most Danes are still baptized, confirmed, married, and buried in the Danish National Church, and the minister are still the one to putt the rings on the fingers (even that is a new Church ritual). And that has nothing to do with any birth registration procedures.

Wedding on the RIGHT, and engagement on the left, but some do it opposite. Many are very confused, and that may be the main reason for a mix-up and for using Hollywood traditions.

I have no idea why it is different in UK, Thailand, USA, etc. I am just telling about how we do it in Denmark and how I have experienced it in Kingdom.

With respect, you are telling how they do it in Denmark, not why? It is the Why? that is the interesting part.

Also I am not sure I understand this referance to the Hollywood traditions. The USA is a very young nation compared to the countries of Europe. Surely the usage of the wedding ring in these countries pre-dates anything displayed on the silver screen?

Venlig Hilsen,

TM

The situation in Holland is that the wedding ring is for Catholics on the LEFT hand and for Protestants on the RIGHT hand.

IMHO it has to do with religion. That's why in mainly catholic countries like Belgium, France, Italy the wedding ring is worn LEFT and in mainly protestant countries like Germany, Denmark the wedding ring is worn RIGHT.

In my situation (Dutch, Catholic) I wore my engagement ring RIGHT and after marriage my wedding ring LEFT.

in other countries of Eastern Christan faith, there's no such a thing as engagement ring. so, wedding ring worn on RIGHT hand and in case of divorce of pass-away - on the LEFT hand. pretty easy and very usefull. women show their hands and everything is clear.