Keyboard Randomly Starts Typing Wrong Letters.

Mobi

I have experienced screwy typing that I isolated to a shortage of memory, PC RAM over stretched for the tasks it was doing/trying to do.

OK, I see. I would still assume that the PC rather crashes every now and then rather than showing consistent erroneous behavior like switching the keyboard layout. But I don't claim to know all the 'wonders' of Windows and hardware failures :)

Furthermore this is just an assumption on my part (that the keyboard layout switches) based on the fact that SHIFT-CONTROL is the default shortcut for switching input languages or keyboard layouts on Windows.

But the OP never responded to my suggestion of checking the settings for these shortcuts on his system. He seems to be satisfied knowing how to work around the issue and not interested in fixing the cause.

welo

Found the response below on Google answers.

It seems the cure is a standard short cut to change between multiple keyboard layouts on the computer.

I might appear as gibberish if the font for the country for which the keyboard is laid out is not loaded.

:-)

The standard key switch for the keyboard layout is Ctrl + Shift.

Extremely easy to hit by accident.

The setting is controlled from within the Regional and Language

Options applet on the Control Panel. Please take the following steps:

- Go to Control Panel>Regional and Language Options

- Select the Languages tab

- Click the Details... button in the "Text services and input languages" section

- Confirm that you indeed have both "Japanese" and "US" entries in the

Keyboard section under the English section

- As long as you have at least Japanese and US keyboard types created,

click on 'Key Settings' in the Preferences section

- there are two items to look for in the 'Hot keys' list:

- if you see entries for "Switch to English (US)" for different

keyboard languages, ensure that the key sequence for each has been

cleared by clicking on the "Change Key Sequence" button after

highlighting each, and unchecking the "Enable Key sequence" checkbox

in the window that appears

- as well, highlight the "Switch between input languages" action,

and again hit "Change Key Sequence"; you should see a checkbox for

"Switch keyboard layouts" that you will want to uncheck

- while you're here, you may want to consider disabling the "Switch

input languages" checkbox as well, unless you are actually using it

This should do it for you, but if you run into a problem, please let

me know using the "Request Clarification" button above.

Source: Here

Welo, I didn't respond because the problem hasn't reoccurred for quite a while now, and "if it ain't broke - I'm not too bothered about fixing it"!

I do appreciate all the posts, and if the problem does reoccur, I will have another go at fixing permanently using the suggestions in this thread.

It is odd that it seems to have stopped, but maybe I have just cleaned up my sloppy keyboard fingering.

I do tend to run quite a few applications, but nothing I would have thought that was particularly out of the ordinary.

Certainly pressing CNTRL/SHIFT twice has always solved the problem.

I will report back if the problem occurs again.

LOL, this is getting a bit too gross for me. :)

Found the response below on Google answers.

Cuban, I'm sure the OP values your effort and enthusiasm, but there was no need for bothering Google to get your findings. Just reading the current thread would have yielded the same result. :D

Just in my last post (which was actually a direct response to you) I pointed out the common usage of CTRL-SHIFT to switch input languages and keyboard layouts.

... based on the fact that SHIFT-CONTROL is the default shortcut for switching input languages or keyboard layouts on Windows.

And the exact link that you have referenced has already been posted here two weeks ago.

This guy here actually has no shortcuts assigned and the layout is still changing, unfortunately he didn't find any solution...

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/414358.html

:D

Edited by welo

I spoke too soon.

It happened two times tonight, but I was typing pretty frantically at the time, so I guess I hit the two keys by mistake. Fixed it both times in a trice, in the usual way.

I will investigate your suggestions further, as time permits.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just experienced this problem, then remembered seeing something about it here, so thought I'd do a quick search.

Only problem was when I tried to type "Keyboard what came out was gobblydigook...... :)

As you can see perseverance paid off. Thanks for the tips Gents.