"visiting Friends" Visa

Some time ago - I copied the below details from the

Royal Thai Embassy - London.

I cannot now find the URL to check if this is still there.

Can anybody give me the URL please ...

Does anybody know anything about "Visiting Friends" visas?

Maybe no longer available?

Bill

Royal Thai Embassy, 30 Queen’s Gate, London SW7 5JB (tel: 020 7589 2944).

EVIDENCE OF REASON FOR VISIT TO THAILAND:-

a) Visiting spouse: Provide copy of marriage certificate (in English).

B) Visiting friends: Provide written guarantee (see below).

c) Retirement: Contact this office for details but please note that until further notice all applications for “O-A” Long Stay visas must be submitted to the Royal Thai Embassy, 30 Queen’s Gate, London SW7 5JB (tel: 020 7589 2944).

d) Charity work: Copy of letter of appointment from recognised charity.

e) BUSINESS:

i) Letter from company confirming employment/appointment and stating reason for visit.

AND

ii) Letter from company confirming that it will meet all expenses of visitor during stay in Thailand including costs of repatriation to UK.

WRITTEN GUARANTEE:-

Persons requiring Non-Immigrant Visas who are not able to provide a letter of employment or appointment or marriage certificate are required to provide a letter of guarantee from someone who is prepared to meet any costs incurred by the applicant which they cannot pay themselves including the cost of repatriation if necessary.

The wording of such a letter to be as follows:-

Name of guarantor

Address of guarantor

Date

I (name of guarantor) have known (name of applicant) for ___ years and understand him/her to have sufficient funds to meet any reasonable costs which may be incurred during their stay in Thailand including the cost of returning to the UK. However, in the event of it being necessary I (name of guarantor) hereby undertake to meet any expenses which may be incurred by (name of visitor) including the cost of repatriation.

Signature of guarantor

If you require further advice or assistance please telephone 01482 581668 or visit our website

Edited by WilliamIV

I concur, apply at Hull (by post or personally). Avoid the embassy itself.

Apply for a non-immigrant type 'o' with a reason of visiting friends / family.

If you go for the multi entry (1 year) you can stay in Thailand for up to 15 months with correct timing of border crossings.

You can even use this visa as the basis for a work permit.

Enjoy Thailand :o:D

If you go for the multi entry (1 year) you can stay in Thailand for up to 15 months with correct timing of border crossings.

How does one performe this magic-trick? =)

I from the start thought in might mean 15 months 'away from home', but you write 15 months _in_ Thailand, but the Visa only grants one 4 x 90 days of stay (i.e. 12 months)?

Edited by Zarkow

How does one performe this magic-trick? =)

I from the start thought in might mean 15 months 'away from home', but you write 15 months _in_ Thailand, but the Visa only grants one 4 x 90 days of stay (e.i. 12 months)?

The visa grants you multiple entries into Thailand within a 12 month period, therefore if you utilize the visa to it's maximum potential it is possible to use it 5 times to get 15 months.

For Example - if the visa expires on 31/01/06, cross the border on say 30/01/06 and when you return you will get 90 more days. - there's your magic trick, hey presto :o

totster :D

Ah, you are so correct. I'm my tired mind I looked at the Visa, saw the four round symbol on the paper and automatically assumed those where for one stamp each...reminding everyone that I have yet to do my first visa-run (~2 months left), so I have yet to see how they stamp the visa after my first entry. :]

Ah, you are so correct. I'm my tired mind I looked at the Visa, saw the four round symbol on the paper and automatically assumed those where for one stamp each...reminding everyone that I have yet to do my first visa-run (~2 months left), so I have yet to see how they stamp the visa after my first entry. :]

Ok I will bite. What are "the four round symbol on the paper"? Your visa should say "multiple" for number of journey(s) if hand stamp type or "M" for nr of entry if past on. It could be that a Consulate has issued you a four entry visa but this is not common practice these days in most countries. If it is a four entry visa stamp you are correct that 4 stays of 90 days is all you get.

Ok I will bite.  What are "the four round symbol on the paper"?  Your visa should say "multiple" for number of journey(s) if hand stamp type or "M" for nr of entry if past on.  It could be that a Consulate has issued you a four entry visa but this is not common practice these days in most countries.  If it is a four entry visa stamp you are correct that 4 stays of 90 days is all you get.

That dog just won't hunt. =)

No. of Entry: Multiple.

It's always written on the Visa.

Getting back to my original post ... hehehe ...

Which was about a "Visiting Friends" visa ...

Does anyone know if these are available generally

- or only offered for UK Residents ...

The potential Applicants are Resident in India & Sri Lanka

Bill

OK, I'm intrigued, my non-o (from 'Cardief') has nothing even resembling 4 round anythings.  :o

Time for a scan of the visa, just for enlightenment.

It's just a part of the visas background-pattern, but when you are new and start doing the math 12 months and 3 months a pop, and see something like that, it's easy to skip to conclusions. :]

Dr. Pat: Ofcourse also a 2-time entry-visa is in reality a multiple visa, but I hope they don't type 'multiple' on the Visa and charge for multiple and then secretly issue a 2-time, then people would start getting confused. :D

And since I moved and tried avoiden overpacking, I only brought my computer (which in retrospect I was quite lucky with...no-one bothered to even notice the 22 kilo heavy mainframe, even though they are supposed to be restricted and some content..illegal. O-well.) and left my big monitor, my second computer and so on. A scanner is on the 'buy'-list. Aswell as my own new monitor, the one here was a little on the small side for me...

I'm sorry, please do. =)

Edited by Zarkow

Does anyone know if these are available generally

- or only offered for UK Residents ...

The potential Applicants are Resident in India & Sri Lanka

Bill

They are available under the "O" class of Non Imm visa however as with everything it varies country to country and even within a country Consulate to Consulate as to whether they are granted or not (and the individual discretion of the officer granting said visa).

I asked last week about a visa to allow me to visit my wife who is working here in Thailand. Would this still be possible to do from Penang? I'm British and would prefer only to have to do a visa run every 3 month than 2 months.

I just got adviced that the only option was a tourist visa. :o

OliG

I asked last week about a visa to allow me to visit my wife who is working here in Thailand. Would this still be possible to do from Penang? I'm British and would prefer only to have to do a visa run every 3 month than 2 months.

OliG

What is your nationality ?

OliG

OliG my reply last week was in response to this question. :D

I need to get a mulitple entry tourist visa, how easy is it to get to the Cambodian Royal Thai embassy/consulate? Is it able to issue these visa's? searched on here but found very little.

Is there an easy way to get a bus there from Bangkok? I'm in Bangkok at the moment so any help would be great.

Thanx

OliG

This post has been edited by OliG: 2005-05-12 14:44:12

thaiflyer1 2005-05-12 15:23:10 Post #2

It is able to issue a double or triple entry however the Embassy in Phnom Phen are less than willing to do so..........if you want a definate double entry and possibly a triple go to Penang (Malaysia) .

OliG

My guess is that it would br possible for you to obtain an "O" class visa in Penang providing everything is above board with your wifes employment here and you have your marriage certificate.

Below extract from Ministry of Foriegn Affairs website.

REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE ISSUANCE OF NON-IMMIGRANT "B" VISA

- Official marriage and birth certificates (In case of the applicant’s family members)

VISA ISSUANCE FOR TEMPORARY RESIDENCE [ NON-IMMIGRANT "O-A" (LONG STAY)]

This type of visa will be issued to applicants aged 50 years or above wishing to take retreat in the Kingdom at least for the period of one year.

I. QUALIFICATION OF THE APPLICNAT

In the case that the applicant wishes to have his/her spouse stay together in the Kingdom but the spouse is not qualified for the “O-A” visa, their marriage certificate shall also be produced as evidence and should be notorized by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic/consular mission. (The spouse will be considered for temporary stay under category “O”).

I realise the second paragraph relates to long stay in the kingdom for retirees,just trying to point out that an "O" is available for their spouses.

Dr.P.P or Lop..........correct me if the above info is wrong. Also will his wife have to meet 400k baht rules? :D

OliG

My guess is that it would br possible for you to obtain an "O" class visa in Penang providing everything is above board with your wifes employment here and you have your marriage certificate.

Below extract from Ministry of Foriegn Affairs website.

REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE ISSUANCE OF NON-IMMIGRANT "B" VISA

- Official marriage and birth certificates (In case of the applicant’s family members)

VISA ISSUANCE FOR TEMPORARY RESIDENCE [ NON-IMMIGRANT "O-A" (LONG STAY)]

This type of visa will be issued to applicants aged 50 years or above wishing to take retreat in the Kingdom at least for the period of one year.

I. QUALIFICATION OF THE APPLICNAT

In the case that the applicant wishes to have his/her spouse stay together in the Kingdom but the spouse is not qualified for the “O-A” visa, their marriage certificate shall also be produced as evidence and should be notorized by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic/consular mission. (The spouse will be considered for temporary stay under category “O”).

I realise the second paragraph relates to long stay in the kingdom for retirees,just trying to point out that an "O" is available for their spouses.

Dr.P.P or Lop..........correct me if the above info is wrong. Also will his wife have to meet 400k baht rules? :D

No money reqired provided that the working spouse has a work permit and they are lawfully married. The spouse attaches to the workers visa.