Thai Immigration Goes Online

george

When going through transit in BKK and continuing to Chiang Mai, you can remove the sticker and pretend you're a domestic passenger and walk right out into Chiang Mai.

Same deal in Phuket- you could walk off the plane, turn right instead of left and totally bypass passport control.

Total security weakness!

wow, that's a big loophole. Never thought of that one. :D

Thanks for the info. :o

Yes, not good. But I guess they will fill it up soon.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prefering to go through immigration and customs in Chiang Mai, I have made that trip many times. On the first trip, the thought did occur to me that it would be a small matter to lose my sticker.

It then occurred to me that a passport is required to identify you when you "check in" at your place of origin. Your name is on the computer at the airline. Thai Airlines is government owned. If the number of passengers doing this added up to any significant number, a small security matter to correct. I doubt many do it as most people are honest.

Somehow, I wouldn't want Thai Airways to have the option to turn me into immigration as one of the passengers booking through and having immigration check to see if I logged in. Avoidance of immigration control is possible and borders are usually fairly porous, even in the U.S. where they havre really worked at border control and immigration control, yet the flow of illegals continues unabated, an in fact maybe increasing.

I guess the motivation is smuggling, I don't see any reason why I should do it. Has anyone checked to see if there are any hidden security cameras at work in Chiang Mai airport arrival and transit areas?

Immigration goes online 

He noted that the new system would help prevent bribery and corruption.

--TNA 2005-05-13

A great idea.

But you'll see an increase in percieved "non-permitted items" found in luggage, after all the little darlings will have to make up the wage packet some way. :o

Immigration goes online 

Pol. Lt. Gen. Amarin Niemsakul, Head of the Immigration Bureau, told reporters that the new system would allow foreigners to extend their visas without having to request an extension from immigration personnel.

--TNA 2005-05-13

How?

do they get their supporting evidence online, without submission to an official?

Bank letter?

Bank book?

Wedding certficate?

Wife's tabien baan?

And what? no more photocopies?

I remain to be convinced....... :o

It could be like the Passport office, where the documents are scanned straight into the system

which means they can be recalled and viewed on the screen with the minimum of fuss.

However I agree a physical officer will still need to be involved.