No Wonder Carrefour Is Buggerred!

billythefish

I was in Carrefour (Hang dong) yes I know it is dying slowly by the day!

Gradually, they remove everything you go there to buy, bread, potatoes, it is simply turning into a 30000 sqm cold water and Nam Plah shop, each time I visit it sells less, no eggs, no sugar, no milk...but 100 metres of fridge space taken up by bottled water. The place is a joke!

But today, I found a really useful product in the motor accesory shelves.

They actually used to sell 5 and 6 litre bottles of Shell and Castrol engine oil..that's gone too...but lo and behold... they were selling ANTI FREEZE! Imported American ANTIFREEZE!!!! not coolant...it was all in English on the bottle...it was ANTI FREEZE! Can you imagine the demand? Who on earth decided (someone did!) to pay to buy American Anti Freeze and IMPORT IT to Thailand?... was it a marketing strategy? Did they think that there might be a high demand out of the summer months when it gets down to about 8C????

Someone at Carrefour needs to be looking for a new job!

isnt that the new store?

didnt know they had troubles

was at the other store on the SuperHighway in Cm the other day, had everything I wanted, but theyve moved the ground coffee to who knows where, thats the 2nd time theyve done that, after i memorised the layout

Not suprising if you see what's happening with Carrefour in Belgium right now !

They seem in big trouble, I don't care.

A bit out off topic, but... Yes, you are right Carrefour in Belgium are all closed now due to a general employees strike.

Their management incompetence to adapt within different markets is making their lost.

And now, same as you: I do not care because even Camenbert in Bang Yai is not available anymore. :)

isnt that the new store?

was at the other store on the SuperHighway in Cm the other day, had everything I wanted, but theyve moved the ground coffee to who knows where, thats the 2nd time theyve done that, after i memorised the layout

Memorized the layout? Good lord, I have gotten familiar with a number of supermarkets in my day, but never actually memorized the layout.

The flip side of "antifreeze" is it actually raises the boiling point as well........... maybe the purchasing peeps at Carrefour aint all that dumb after all.

Then it would obviously have been better to state that on the packaging! Who in their right mind is going to buy Anti Freeze? (and I can read the labels...do you think any Thais are going to buy this?)

Yes indeed, those people at Carreffour are "SMART" in a sort of "subliminal" way!!!

isnt that the new store?

Yes it is the latest venture..and has become unstuck...when they opened we were able to buy anything, anything you wanted from outside of Thailand...now, they have removed all foreign produce and you have a thirty foot chiller of water bottles, no cheese, no potatoes, you cannot even buy EGGS! the place is a joke!

If you take away the crap clothes and the shit TV stands and furniture, you have more selection in a 7/11!

The fruit and vegetables are rotting on the shelves, you even have to check the food sell by date, which you never had to do in the city...buy a bottle of milk and you might end up with yoghurt!

I feel sorry for the people who have invested in the stalls and the outside businesses, they are closing by the day!

Can you imagine this place, it had about 100metres of foreign food stacked 2 metres high, now it has a 1 x 1 m shelf! it is not worth even visiting! Not for foreigners OR FOR THAIS!

isnt that the new store?

Memorized the layout? Good lord, I have gotten familiar with a number of supermarkets in my day, but never actually memorized the layout.

Why do you find that strange?

If you shop at some of these stores you need to memorize the layout! You pop in for a tin of beans and it has now been layed out with panty pads!

Otherwise ou would be there all day trying to find a tin of beans!

They (Tesco especially) practice this great annoyance regularly, apparently it makes you "notice" things!

To me, ( who memorizes the layout and only wants to get in and out ASAP) It only pisses me off!

I like to know where to go, I don't want to spend an hour pissing about in a maze trying to find out where they have hidden the Tuna!

Edited by billythefish

You should make some tasteful horror photos !

(though here they are affraid of people taking photo's in shops and never allow, but fukkit for the same prize they would food-poison you with their crap)

Waiting for your pics, nice to send them to the headoffice in France, sell to newspapers etc. for big fun !

The flip side of "antifreeze" is it actually raises the boiling point as well........... maybe the purchasing peeps at Carrefour aint all that dumb after all.

Then it would obviously have been better to state that on the packaging! Who in their right mind is going to buy Anti Freeze? (and I can read the labels...do you think any Thais are going to buy this?)

Yes indeed, those people at Carreffour are "SMART" in a sort of "subliminal" way!!!

I think this is one of those things that's historical to a given country. I live in sunny Southern California and it's always been labeled anti-freeze even though it's bought as coolant.

And if most Thais can't read it, it's not an issue at all. They just ask for coolant or what this is for, the clerk says coolant, and they buy it.

Just to clarify, antifreeze and engine coolant are commonly used interchangeably. Antifreeze is the actual product that is added to water to make engine coolant. Generally a 50% water to 50% antifreeze is the most common mixture for freeze and boil over protection used in engines.

Most liquid-cooled engines use a mixture of water and chemicals such as antifreeze and rust inhibitors. The industry term for the antifreeze mixture is engine coolant. Some antifreezes use no water at all, instead using a liquid with different properties, such as propylene glycol or a combination of propylene glycol and ethylene glycol. Wiki

It also lubricates the water pump. The dumb ones are the ones running straight water in their cooling systems.

The way that Carrefour makes all their employees throughout the entire store at, what is it 5 or 6pm, do that silly song and dance seems like an indication that things are out of control, to me. I wonder how the Thais themselves feel having to do it? How long have they had to do it?

It's a traditional and long standing practice in Japanese industry both in Japan and overseas, gets the blood flowing, wakes people up etc. Interestingly, they do the same thing at the Honda plant in the UK.

isnt that the new store?

not specifically, just generalised

ie as you walk in, electronics are first on right, then plastics, car stuff and home wares etc etc

:)

The way that Carrefour makes all their employees throughout the entire store at, what is it 5 or 6pm, do that silly song and dance seems like an indication that things are out of control, to me. I wonder how the Thais themselves feel having to do it? How long have they had to do it?

All Thais like to sing a song, its just a warm up for the Karaoke they will go after closing time. I am sure they love it.

isnt that the new store?

Why do you find that strange?

If you shop at some of these stores you need to memorize the layout! You pop in for a tin of beans and it has now been layed out with panty pads!

Otherwise ou would be there all day trying to find a tin of beans!

They (Tesco especially) practice this great annoyance regularly, apparently it makes you "notice" things!

To me, ( who memorizes the layout and only wants to get in and out ASAP) It only pisses me off!

I like to know where to go, I don't want to spend an hour pissing about in a maze trying to find out where they have hidden the Tuna!

im with you man

i hate buggering about & backtracking!!

It's a traditional and long standing practice in Japanese industry both in Japan and overseas, gets the blood flowing, wakes people up etc. Interestingly, they do the same thing at the Honda plant in the UK.

And what has carrefour and/or Thailand have to do with Japanese industry practices?

By the way they do this in Pattaya as well and it is called Carrefour time.Last time I was there I told the falang manager at the bakery that he was missing the event.All he did was giving a much explaining smile.

Edited by basjke

I agree with several others -- antifreeze is a coolant, also.

In general there's a lot of goofy stuff I see in Thai department stores. I live near the Emporium. Go through there on a daily basis. The first floor is all cosmetics. Probably well over 30 clerks there at any one time...and often not a single customer. Meanwhile the grocery store is so packed with customers you can't move and only takes about about a third of a floor. They have a decent array of food products, with a very poor arrangement (is there a good reason to have spices in 4 different aisles?); does any store really sell that much olive oil?

And then there's the store in that mall that is always pushing humidifiers. Gee I wonder why people don't buy humidifiers in the hottest and most humid city in the world?

There is also the Thai way of thinking price wise of course.

When business is bad, up the prices and finish up in more trouble as the shoppers go elsewhere for cheaper buys.

Incidently, I find it disturbing how much Tesco has changed and the constant price rises ( not by your odd Baht either ) and personally, I only buy selected items now rather than go thru the store, filling the trolley up.

Beware of the offers on the meat counters / bulk sections included, as I,ve had a couple of occasions when the stuff has obviously started to go off and they re froze it prior to selling it off.

Bought some chicken just recently and even though it was put straight into the fridge, it started to smell and on opening the fridge door, jesusssssss

No more will they tempt me with their meat reductions.

marshbags :)

Edited by marshbags