Atm 150 Bt Fee

How can the 150 baht charge / transaction be avoided? I don't like to carry a lot of money for the usual reasons. But, cost of a small withdrawal is too much. I have seen withdrawal slips for 1000 baht. That would make the ATM fee 15%. That is way too much just to get your own money. To stimulate the Thai economy, I might add. Thanks in advance for real info and for the inevitable humor. OC

Have a UK Nationwide Bank Blue Visa Debit card and use AEON or certain Krungsri ATM machines.

Alternatively do an over the counter withdrawal into your Thai bank account (Kasikorn bank is the easiest bank to get an account with, and the best Thai bank for non-Thais). It may be possible to do without a Thai bank account and just get cash. Best way for this to to request more then 30K baht as this is more then any Thai ATM will give in one transaction and is above what most banks will allow for a withdrawal on a single day.

There are lots of other options, you just need to search the forum....

Open an Account TMB bank you pay a 300 bhat fee to set up account and get the card, no fees at any ATM in Thailand and in the second year they will take another 200 bhat service fee out of your account. Thats it...No more charges. I had a good experience opening account with them at Wattana Branch near St. Louis Hospital. You just need your passport, and some money to put in the account (savings) they pay you about half a percent interest now.

Remember if you are using a foreign ATM card in Thailand your total charges will amount to about $10.00. Bhat 150 for the local ATM $5.00 fee leveled on foreign ATM cards and your home cards bank fee double the normal because you are out of country about $3.00.

SOMEone always mentions krungsri atm does not levy 150 baht charge....

i have yet to find one that would allow free withdrawal yet from any krungsri atm....

will poster be specific and mention exact location and town where no fee withdrawal is happening, pls.... :)

SOMEone always mentions krungsri atm does not levy 150 baht charge....

i have yet to find one that would allow free withdrawal yet from any krungsri atm....

will poster be specific and mention exact location and town where no fee withdrawal is happening, pls.... :)

Bangkok TMB any location and Bangkok Bank ATMs', St. Louis college no fee with my TMB card, those are the only 2 I have tried so far.

Even with a Thai account, if one's money comes from a foreign source, it is subjected to fees. Direct deposits may not, but my source won't deposit to foreign accounts. Thank you 9/11!

Any Thai ATM will allow fee free withdrawls with a Thai bank's card. It's foreign bank cards that are subject to the fee.

Apparently, there are certain Nationwide cards, when used at certain Ayutthaya ATMs, that will only get hit with a 15 baht charge. Not having any Nationwide card, I can't confirm, or deny this.

On 3 different occasions, at two different Kasikorn branches, I was told to use the ATMs to make a 150,000 baht cash advance with my card.

AEON is the only ATM that does not levy the fee, for any bank's card, and the rates are as high as I have seen.

Open an Account TMB bank you pay a 300 bhat fee to set up account and get the card, no fees at any ATM in Thailand and in the second year they will take another 200 bhat service fee out of your account. Thats it...No more charges. ((cut))

Above information is not completely true (unless something new and only for TMB). There is a charge to use a local card outside of the local area. You can use without charge up to four times a month in an ATM POOL member machines but after that there will be a charge for using another bank. These charges are much less than the 150 baht foreign ATM card fee but they are charged and do take up space on your passbook.

Open an Account TMB bank you pay a 300 bhat fee to set up account and get the card, no fees at any ATM in Thailand and in the second year they will take another 200 bhat service fee out of your account. Thats it...No more charges. ((cut))

Above information is not completely true (unless something new and only for TMB). There is a charge to use a local card outside of the local area. You can use without charge up to four times a month in an ATM POOL member machines but after that there will be a charge for using another bank. These charges are much less than the 150 baht foreign ATM card fee but they are charged and do take up space on your passbook.

As far as I know this is new policy this year with TMB. I read about this on Thai visa forum a few months ago and since they have a branch near me opened my account with them. I have not used the card outside the local area, but have used it many times at ABMs and when doing my shopping in lieu of cash, so far I have not seen any charges, although you may be correct.

Krunsri? Bank of Ayudyah (yellow atm) seem to be fee free. Bank also told me come inside at do the transaction there is no charge. It will help if you can aslo find english speaking staff, there are 4 at least in the branch I use in Ko si road, nakhon sawan,

But be careful that Krungsri may be able to set their own exchange rate instead of using the rate of mastercards - this is only with the red cash card - with the blue visa cards the exchange rates of visa's is used and is usually close to that of the interbank rate, plus there is the 0.84% that nationwide charge.

i have a normal nationwide cash card which always worked in every asian country i had been in. i didnt get charged when i used the yellow bank machines, not sure whats the name of the bank but i will be using them again :)

You got to love these guys that just say open a Thai bank account and the ATM withdrawal is free.

Of course the point is to get the money in your Thai bank account it has to come from an overseas account or else you would not have encountered a 150 baht fee!

The other point is that the withdrawal from your Thai bank is only free if you are withdrawing from the same province that you opened the account.

Take you ATM card into a bank along with your passport and you get access your foriegn funds with no fee.

Not all banks are set up for this type of withdrawal so you have to locate one in your area.

I also disagree with the few that are recommending Kasikorn I got rid of them 4 years ago becuase they could not figure out on line banking.

You got to love these guys that just say open a Thai bank account and the ATM withdrawal is free.

Of course the point is to get the money in your Thai bank account it has to come from an overseas account or else you would not have encountered a 150 baht fee!

The other point is that the withdrawal from your Thai bank is only free if you are withdrawing from the same province that you opened the account.

Take you ATM card into a bank along with your passport and you get access your foriegn funds with no fee.

Not all banks are set up for this type of withdrawal so you have to locate one in your area.

I also disagree with the few that are recommending Kasikorn I got rid of them 4 years ago becuase they could not figure out on line banking.

You can bring thousand of dollars in cash to Thailand and deposit in your Thai account to avoid an atm fee.

• 2 weeks later...