Confused About Visa

I'm planning on coming to Thailand in about a month. I'm not going for work just for pleasure. I want to stay longer than the 30 days allowed American tourists who arrive with just a passport. A friend who has been to Bangkok many times suggested a multi-entry non-immigrant visa. Seemed straightforward enough. However, I downloaded the application from the Thai Embassy website and there is a line right at the top stating " Non-immigrant visa applicant must submit an invitation letterproofs from persons/institutions concerned stating the purpose of visit and length of stay."

I am not going at the invitation of a company or person. I am a self-sustaining person who is not going there for business. I just want to spend some time in Thailand - maybe up to a year or more - relaxing, seeing the region.

So the question is this... Are they likely to deny me a multiple-entry non-immigrant visa based on the fact that I do not have an invitation from a person or institution?

If so, is there another type of visa I simply don't know about that would be more appropriate?

Thanks for any help.

After you arrive, you can go to Immigration in Soi Suan-Phlu and request an extension for another 30 days.

As long as you are on a holiday then it is easy to do.

I hope you enjoy your holiday here.

You never said how old you were but if you are over 50 you could apply for a Non Immigrant visa at your local Consulate based upon retirement.

If your under 50 there are a couple of options open to you...........you could apply for a Non Immigrant O multiple visa based upon visiting family and friends (Believe Houston to be a friendly Consulate for such applications.....someone correct me if i/m wrong)

Alternatively you could apply for a double entry tourist visa..........this gives you a 60 day stay upon arrival which you can extend within Thailand by 30 days fee 1900 baht........you/ll need to step over a border at the end of the 90 days to activate the second entry on the visa to obtain a further 60+30 days stay..................after you use both entries ie 180 days you could travel down to Penang (Malaysia) and apply for a new double entry tourist visa and repeat the procedure.

In short the non imm is the best solution ,but a double will give you 6 months here which in turn can be added to by a trip to Penang.

A non-immigrant visa is very easy to get without all the 'official' paperwork. Call the number below. They are very helpful on the phone. Basically, you only need the application form, photos, passport, and money. You get a one-year multiple-entry non-immigrant visa. Each stamp is good for 90 days

ROYAL THAI CONSULATE-GENERAL

1123 AURARIA PKWY, SUITE 200

DENVER, CO 80204

Tel : (303) 892-0118

Fax : (303) 892-0119

E-mail : [email protected]

Honorary Consul-General, Mr. Donald W. Ringby

The contact person at the Consulate office in Denver, Colorado, is: Jen Gauthiere, Consul assistant, email [email protected], the office hours are: Monday-Thursday, 9:00am to 12:30pm, and their phone number is:(303)892-0118. Jen is the consul assistant and is most helpful.

Edited by Ajarn