Anyone Else Frustrated By This "service Charge" Concept In Thailand?

somefellow

Most of you are talking about restaurants whereas I earlier mentioned new waterslides in Phuket where they too charge a "service charge". Imagine if retail outlets now started charging a "service charge" to have your items rung up at a register, or the skytrain charging you a service charge on top of your ticket. No extra service was given, yet you still have to pay. This is a whole different can of worms than eateries.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will typically see the service charge added at restaurants that actually keep books.

From discussions I've had with restaurant managers, it is more like the "hotel tax" that one encounters. It is supposed to be collected and paid to one more "revenuer".

It never goes to, or is intended for, the staff.

And on the other hand tipping leads the staff just to annoy the customers by begging the tips in means of being in your face all the time asking "everything ok", "do you need anything else", "are you sure everything ok", "how about something more to drink", "if everything is ok? enjoy your meal"...

And this is exactly what happened to me during dinner just this wednesday in "farangland" with tipping culture. And it was repeated twice during the meal. Now nothing more annoying when you are trying to enjoy your food and have a conversation with your friend. They maybe think this justifies their 25% expected tips but i just call it bad service.

Being polite and providing good service (when it is required or asked for) is not about pestering your customers to death.

Edit: needless to say, i didn't leave any tip...

But sadly this is a way of life in Thailand. I have learned to love. It saves me <deleted> fortunes!!! WHen I go to the Mall and they come scurrying over to stand next to me for NO FRICKIN" PURPOSE!!! Its easier for me to just walk away and not shop. I love it. I have seriously been put of countless 4 figure purchases by this need they have to stand on top of you. I HATE it! Seriously makes me want to explode.

Critical difference here is most in the service industry don't reflect on their experience and adapt. For example. if you rush up to a customer three times and every time he changes from relaxed browser to guided missile away from you, in the west you would not crowd that customer. But here, you just smile and look for the next person to smother. Guess it must fall under that massive umbrella of "THai CUlture".

What the ***k ever... :)

it's not asinine, it's actually smart if they succeed in cheating you.

It's up to you to avoid being cheated by them by simply stopping going there and let them starve as they deserve.

you cannot be smart if you are able to cheat anyone in an dishonest way

successful maybe- smart- never

And on the other hand tipping leads the staff just to annoy the customers by begging the tips in means of being in your face all the time asking "everything ok", "do you need anything else", "are you sure everything ok", "how about something more to drink", "if everything is ok? enjoy your meal"...

And this is exactly what happened to me during dinner just this wednesday in "farangland" with tipping culture. And it was repeated twice during the meal. Now nothing more annoying when you are trying to enjoy your food and have a conversation with your friend. They maybe think this justifies their 25% expected tips but i just call it bad service.

Being polite and providing good service (when it is required or asked for) is not about pestering your customers to death.

Edit: needless to say, i didn't leave any tip...

But sadly this is a way of life in Thailand. I have learned to love. It saves me <deleted> fortunes!!! WHen I go to the Mall and they come scurrying over to stand next to me for NO FRICKIN" PURPOSE!!! Its easier for me to just walk away and not shop. I love it. I have seriously been put of countless 4 figure purchases by this need they have to stand on top of you. I HATE it! Seriously makes me want to explode.

Critical difference here is most in the service industry don't reflect on their experience and adapt. For example. if you rush up to a customer three times and every time he changes from relaxed browser to guided missile away from you, in the west you would not crowd that customer. But here, you just smile and look for the next person to smother. Guess it must fall under that massive umbrella of "THai CUlture".

What the ***k ever... :)

The trick is to be attentive but not intrusive.......clearly a training issue.......

But we'll just put it down to Thai culture?......not poor management?

i get very frustrated with the service charge here since it appears that service is an unknown concept here :)

Apparently, we are not frequenting the same places. :D

Service is far from perfect in every country I visited. Here in Thailand it is better than most and exceptional when considering what you pay for that service. As for the 10% service charge, I avoid these establishments unless there is redeeming factor.

I dont know where you guys are eating... but i must be eating at all the wrong places.

I have never seen a service charge on any bill here in Thailand ever. If I did I would refuse to pay it. (There would be an argument...I would possibly cave in after a FN HUGE scene and pay if it was displayed to me in writting on a menu).

I am Aussie and we don't tip either.

(I will tip however... with EXTREME excelence in service....10-20thb.. on very, very rare occasions.)

in 99% of cases any tip you give goes to the floor manager/owner/supervisor anyhow. If your waitress/waiter is caught pocketing it he/she may/maynot have that ammount deducted ontop of the tip removal from their wages.

Why tip?

Why give 10%?

What restaurants do this?

Can we start a boycot? :)

(edit: Farang ki niow!!)

Edited by walterego

I LOATH service charges, its not just at tourist areas it at most upscale places as well. How dare they tell ME what their service is worth, I decide that and I usually tip more than 10% if the service is good. If not I don't but it's my choice. It's insulting when they presumptuously take that decision out of your hands with a ridiculous service charge.

I'm guessing you're American? We're the only ones who get upset about this, because it's commonplace in the U.K. and Europe.

No it isnt, i dont think ive ever been charge it in England and i used to eat out all the time.

Maybe not if you have a big Mc, Chinese, or Indian, But try Italian, French, or any restaurant worth it's sort's and there it is in black and white. ++++ And has been for the last 20year's, at least.

I'm guessing you're American? We're the only ones who get upset about this, because it's commonplace in the U.K. and Europe.

No it isnt, i dont think ive ever been charge it in England and i used to eat out all the time.

Maybe not if you have a big Mc, Chinese, or Indian, But try Italian, French, or any restaurant worth it's sort's and there it is in black and white. ++++ And has been for the last 20year's, at least.

You must be one of those people who come out with such lines like "i like good food and fine wines" whilst firmly believing that youre unique by doing so, thing is ive yet to meet someone who openly claims to like bad food.

...any restaurant worth it's sort's and there it is in black and white. ++++ And has been for the last 20year's, at least.

I was at a nice restaurant in Aberdeen (yes, there are nice restaurants there) and the menu proudly proclaimed a 15% service charge. I received mediocre service and so paid the bill and left. The waiter actually caught me while putting on my coat and asked me why I didn't tip? I told him I did. 15%. He said most customers also left a special tip for the waiters. I suggested he should offer special service, then. But the point is, despite the built in tip, many staff expect an additional payment.

I'm usually a pretty generous tipper, but I want it to be MY choice. Not a prepaid certainty.

DOES ANYONE KNOW THIS????

TIPS

TO

INSURE

PROPER

SERVICE

TIPS ARE PAID IN ADVANCE. like when you greet the floor manager (Maitre D) of a "good" restaurant for the first time and pass him a concealed 20 pound note within the handshake. Its just letting him know you want to be treated well and you will reward accordingly. IT IS PAID UP FRONT.

Gratuities on the other hand, are what you leave after a meal if you want to express gratitude to the staff/establishment.

Quite simple really but seems to be widely misunderstood here.

If a place is so "low rent" that they need to put "service charge X%" on the menu, I agree with the above. Only pay the x% which is always less than I would tip if it was left to me. I was raised that 20% is normal unless you drink very expensive wines in which 20% of the food bill and a token towards the wine. ANything more would be for EXCEPTIONAL service. And no, that does not mean some prick with a hot towel on the back of my neck when I go for a pee!

What I'm more upset about is all these places that think they can increase my charges 3% just because I use an international credit card. I can't count the amount of times I've completely turned down a $3000 purchase on my business credit cards because they want to add about $100 to the bill. I usually threaten to get their merchant accounts shut down with the credit processor (I have good business relations with Visa, Mastercard and AMEX). Some of them just look at me like... what are you talking about? "It's illegal to do that? But they charge us to process payments this way... It can't be illegal!"

The service charge idea for me is fine, though. It's just like another tax, and usually they'll split it through to the staff, so no problems there. In most instances its written in small writing on the bottom of the menu. Have some class, stop biotching, and give them 20 baht for your 200 baht tab... what is that? 0.70 USD.

TIPS

TO INSURE PROPER SERVICE

And you don't know it, either. Tip started out in the 1600s as a slang term to provide someone with something, money, information, etc. And no one knows what the real meaning might have originally been. If you doubt me, look it up yourself. Google: etymology + tip or go to Snopes or Wikipedia. The only tip someone gets from me BEFORE they provide a service is advice: take care of me if you want a tip...

It is common worldwide in place for Tourists.

Additional often the prices are also without tax.

Why not add a meat surcharge, a cooking gas surcharge, a handling surcharge. a sitting surcharge, a dish washer surcharge......

Actually one of the big seafood rest. in Bangkok does have a "cooking charge" for the food that you selected.

TIPS

TO INSURE PROPER SERVICE

And you don't know it, either. Tip started out in the 1600s as a slang term to provide someone with something, money, information, etc. And no one knows what the real meaning might have originally been. If you doubt me, look it up yourself. Google: etymology + tip or go to Snopes or Wikipedia. The only tip someone gets from me BEFORE they provide a service is advice: take care of me if you want a tip...

The only tip you get from me:

Don't eat yellow snow :)

What I'm more upset about is all these places that think they can increase my charges 3% just because I use an international credit card. I can't count the amount of times I've completely turned down a $3000 purchase on my business credit cards because they want to add about $100 to the bill. I usually threaten to get their merchant accounts shut down with the credit processor (I have good business relations with Visa, Mastercard and AMEX). Some of them just look at me like... what are you talking about? "It's illegal to do that? But they charge us to process payments this way... It can't be illegal!"

The service charge idea for me is fine, though. It's just like another tax, and usually they'll split it through to the staff, so no problems there. In most instances its written in small writing on the bottom of the menu. Have some class, stop biotching, and give them 20 baht for your 200 baht tab... what is that? 0.70 USD.

i always thought they charged 3% extra on all credit cards transactions,whether international or not, as its a merchant charge, i could be wrong thou

TIPS

TO INSURE PROPER SERVICE

The only tip you get from me:

Don't eat yellow snow :)

one tip ive heard before;

ensure you always wear clean underwear, you never know when you will be hit by a bus

In the international chain managed hotels the service charge will be calculated and divided equally between all the staff (including back of house) at the end of the month.

No matter if they are an asset to the business or not. That is what i don't like about it. If I want to give a tip, I will give it to a person that deserves it.

You will typically see the service charge added at restaurants that actually keep books.

From discussions I've had with restaurant managers, it is more like the "hotel tax" that one encounters. It is supposed to be collected and paid to one more "revenuer".

It never goes to, or is intended for, the staff.

In the west, good luck finding anyone to help when you want it. I would much rather have people nearby -- it's very simple to let them know you are 'just looking' -- when you want them than to have to walk all over the store looking for someone, anyone, to assist