Can You Take Small Dogs On The Train?

loubrockbank

Having a torrid time finding a car hire place which allows a one way rental without asking for silly prices or you aren't even allowed to drive it out of Phuket due t their insurance policies.

We have two small dogs (Shih Tzu's) and were wondering whether the trains from Surat Thani will allow them onboard. I've emailed and called them but either no reply or they don't understand what a dog is.

Anyone have any experience or seen dogs on trains (that were meant to be there :) )

If so, do they need crates/cages?

Flying is not an option by the way.

i think you will just get a fine for each dog, in the range of 160 Baht each....

Edit: no cages, free style, however i think if they are inside one of those small portables ones and when the ticket man comes he just see "a box" you might get a bonus ....

Edited by surayu

My impression is that they are not allowed, however i didn't made any research on it and i might well be wrong, i just talk from past experiences, quick tip: AVOID overcrowded trains at any cost, if you can get a private cabin just for your own and that might well be the perfect solution for your 2 small friends too

I don't know if it has changed, but back in 2003 dogs were allowed in 2nd and 3rd class but not in first. Back then I brought a dog (the one in my avatar) on the train from Songkhla to Bangkok and later from Bangkok to Hua Hin (both times in a box) without any problems. I just showed the dog when buying the ticket,. I think I paid a little extra for the dog but I'm not sure if I did or not. Either way, it wouldn't have been very much.

Sophon

Believe you have to pay for the dog, even more than for a person. For items such as animals and bikes a much higher price is charged. A Thai friend once told me his train ticket was 50 baht, the mother cycle was 500. Remember the same about animals.

I say "no". I tried to take a dog onto a bus from Bkk to Korat and they wouldn't allow it other than to put it in the luggage hold. I had no choice but to accept. The reason for "no animals" was because of the "Buddha" effigies on the bus.

I say "no". I tried to take a dog onto a bus from Bkk to Korat and they wouldn't allow it other than to put it in the luggage hold. I had no choice but to accept. The reason for "no animals" was because of the "Buddha" effigies on the bus.

you can try the small minibus departing from New Savoury(Victory Monument), they even have a fixed price for pets which is about 2/3 of a full price but you get no seat for it and you have to hold it, so, make sense to buy a full ticket and get that extra sit, ohh and pleanty of Bhudda images, amulets, Kitty, Doraemon, Winny & Micky stuff too on them

My impression is that they are not allowed, however i didn't made any research on it and i might well be wrong, i just talk from past experiences, quick tip: AVOID overcrowded trains at any cost, if you can get a private cabin just for your own and that might well be the perfect solution for your 2 small friends too

Yes , you are allowed dogs on trains, but you must Not throw the bones out the windows when you finish eating..!

Yes you can. I took a small dog from Bkk to Chumphon 3rd class on the Thonburi - Langsuan train with no problems. A cage was required but that was for me, not the dog. :) I do not remember how much extra I paid, but it was not too steep. Good luck.

If you still want to consider a car then the Budget Car Hire firms allow one wayrentals for a nominal fee. I'm sure they have a branch in Phuket as they seem to be everywhere. Once when I wanted a minibus to go to Bangkok from Samui they had one that needed to go back up there anyway. So they let me have it for the normal hire price with no extra fee, and it suited both parties.

HL :)

Yes , you are allowed dogs on trains, but you must Not throw the bones out the windows when you finish eating..!

Great minds think alike, I had to trawl though this topic not to duplicate that answer. I would say as most long distance journeys on Thai trains include food, they may operate a no outside catering policy, and you may get your collar felt…..And have to pay a fine.