Why Even Buy A Dslr?

The Vulcan

For my trip around LOS, I brought my old D80+18-200VR as well as a good wide angle, and a Panasonic LX3 - supposedly one of the best P&S available 3 months ago.

LX3 can sometimes snap comparable images, but as a whole, it is still far behind a decent SLR.

Most P&S don't have a viewfinder. Usually no problem, but try to shoot outdoors in high light situations then it becomes a problem.

Start using Aperture priority and you will find problems with WB and exposure. Same with Shutter Priority. Bokeh is much worse than what I can get out of my DSLR.

I was lazy and mostly used the LX3. I find the pictures acceptable memory snapshots. But if I wanted to really take a nice picture with any sort of reliability and consistency, I would never even consider LX3. DSLRs are still way ahead of the game.

For my trip around LOS, I brought my old D80+18-200VR as well as a good wide angle, and a Panasonic LX3 - supposedly one of the best P&S available 3 months ago.

LX3 can sometimes snap comparable images, but as a whole, it is still far behind a decent SLR.

Most P&S don't have a viewfinder. Usually no problem, but try to shoot outdoors in high light situations then it becomes a problem.

Start using Aperture priority and you will find problems with WB and exposure. Same with Shutter Priority. Bokeh is much worse than what I can get out of my DSLR.

I was lazy and mostly used the LX3. I find the pictures acceptable memory snapshots. But if I wanted to really take a nice picture with any sort of reliability and consistency, I would never even consider LX3. DSLRs are still way ahead of the game.

This thread is discussing the merits of micro 4/3 cameras compared to a DSLR. Micro 4/3s have a larger sensor than the LX3 and can be equipped with viewfinders.

Having said that, I have an LX3 and find it to be a fantastic little camera. For an idea of what it is capable. check out Jim Radcliffe's gallery (using the re-badged Leica version): http://www.boxedlight.com/dlux4/index.htm

Much more than just snapshots!