20,000 Baht Rule

Hi - I have heard that you now need 20,000 baht to enter thailand - I think its an old rule which is now being implemented.

Does anyone know if this just applies to the airport or also at land borders ie. for border runs. Also does it have to be cash or can you just show a recent bank statement or something?

Cheers.

I can't see how demanding to see proof of 20,000 baht is good for tourism. I think even one incident of enforcement would result in a massive tourism boycott. Does anyone actually know someone who was asked to show this proof?

It is the law but is rarely enforced. In my 10 years of travelling/living here I have never been asked to show - and I enter the Kingdom many times a year.

The 20,000 baht rule has been recently discussed already. it is not a new rule and many countries, if not most, have a similair rule. Is it often checked, no. Only when they have a real reason to question if you will be able to support yoruself during your stay. Just as you probly have nevr been asked for proof in the past, you will not be asked now.

here we go again :) chime in all the people that argue 20,000 baht isnt alot of money - spend it in one night etc, closely followed by the ones that claim they can live all year on that much :D

Edited by neverdie

I can't see how demanding to see proof of 20,000 baht is good for tourism. I think even one incident of enforcement would result in a massive tourism boycott. Does anyone actually know someone who was asked to show this proof?

No Panic lol if people come to thailand i think have more then 20.000 baht travellers cheque or other currencies

The immigration rule is not new, applies to all entry points, but is rarely enforced. Just make sure you have cash/ATM card with you so you have access to cash if you are asked, but is unlikely you will be.

Thaiphoon i have a question i have a ED VISA so im going next May to Canada for 2 weeks so when im come back i have to show 20,000 baht or no or just bring 700.00 Canadian $ Just in case the officer ask me Thank YOU

"I can't see how demanding to see proof of 20,000 baht is good for tourism. I think even one incident of enforcement would result in a massive tourism boycott."

What an odd thing to think.

I don't think most real tourists are going to worry about that. If anything, they might wonder why anyone had a problem with it.

"...all the people that argue 20,000 baht isnt alot of money - spend it in one night etc, closely followed by the ones that claim they can live all year on that much"

ND

Do you know any real tourists, those the rule is intended for, who claim this?

Tourist visas are not intended for those wanting to live/work here.

I believe you need to show 20000 baht or equivalent in any currency - not a lot , but a lot of CASH especially when traveling through a dangerous border post - where all the locals will know that every one has a lot of cash on them. Even if it is unlikely that you will be asked - you still need to carry the cash just in case. I think a bank statement will not suffice - as it is only accurate at the time you got the statement/balance.

This Immigration regulation has been on the books for many years. It is posted at every entry point for the Kingdom. You should be able to either have a ATM,d just credit card, TC, cash or statement showing you have funds for the duration of your stay. I usually print a fresh credit available for travels if I don't carry lots of cash. Years ago I used to watch Indian guys show the required funds of Baht 10,000 (1985) then pass to the fellow behind so that the same Baht 10,000 provided proof of funds for the 8 people in the group.

It is usually not asked to people that are dressed neat and act accordingly at points of entry.

:)

You can get a receipt showing account balance however - that is normally all that would be required. Travel with a current ATM receipt would likely be a good idea.

That did not work at the Penang consulate - even showing matching ATM Slip/Card same bank

Just bring the 20. Big deal -

I would suggest carrying some travelers checks.

I keep US$1k in tc as my emergency stash.

Showing a large amount of cash to a Thai official (or an official of any SEA country) would be like introducing your budgie to a street cat. :)

I've yet to be asked to show proof of funds. Yet.

• 2 weeks later...

no one carries travelers checks anymore. they dont even know what they are in the philippines a friend told me recently.

ive been doing a lot of jumping on 2 week runners and i have also not been asked - ever.

i still bring the 20k.

there are no atms at padang basar fyi

You can get a receipt showing account balance however - that is normally all that would be required. Travel with a current ATM receipt would likely be a good idea.

Would a passbook last updated just before you left the country also do the trick, if need be?