Are Thai Women Married To Aussies Discriminated Against At The Aust Immigration.

Good point.

Mason says in his OP

my wife went to Aust on a 3 months visa, we returned to Thailand for about 4 months and she applied for a 6 months visa which was granted but she was told that she shouldn't apply for anymore tourist visas as she was married

Which looks to me that the immigration officials thought that, due to the frequency of the visit and their marriage, that they were trying to use visit visas to by-pass the residence rules. Certainly a UK visitor would not be able to spend 9 months out of 13 in the UK, regardless of their nationality or that of their spouse (if any).

It seems from some of the posts that this is not a 'rule' that applies to all Thais married to Australians.

Contacting the embassy as suggested above may have this note removed and she would then have no problems getting a visit visa.

Have you tried that, Mason?

Have you spoken to anyone at the embassy?

Has she actually applied for any type of visa since she was refused 5 years ago?

Or is your whole argument based on information given to you 7 years ago which may very well now be out of date?

Yes, all very well but can the OP accept that the Aussie Immigration rules state that as a Thai woman married to an Aussie, his wife MUST get a spouse visa? There's no telling when circumstances can change like (heaven forbid) some accident or illness that leaves the Aussie spouse somehow unable to return to Thailand as planned. His wife, if on a Tourist visa would probably not be granted any extra rights to stay longer whereas the Spouse visa may have such benefits.

Is the application for a Spouse visa so harrowing and time consuming?

Visa rules are written to encompass a WIDE range of options and events not just the OP's declared intent of never (for now) living as a married couple downundah. Bite the bullet, apply for a Spouse visa and be done with searching for some answer to 5 year old legalese mumbo jumbo that is probably quite easy to understand when you take off the blinkers.

Totally deceptive and disingenuous title to the post btw.

Please check the facts prior to leading others astray with false and misleading information.

If the OP has not checked with the Departmant of Immigration for the last few years them he deserves to be in his self-induced prediciment.

These are direct quotes from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship

"TOURIST VISA OVERVIEW - For people to visit Australia for a holiday, sightseeing, social or recreational reasons, to visit relatives, friends or for other short-term non-work purposes."

"EXTENDING YOUR STAY - To remain longer in Australia than your original visa allows, you are required to obtain another visa. If you wish to remain in Australia for tourism or recreational purposes or to visit family or friends, you may apply for a Tourist visa.

If you are refused a further visa, you must leave Australia before the expiry of your original visa."

www immi gov au / visitors / tourist /

False information and misconceptions are more damaging than silence.

Im actually with Mason on this one. It certainly sounds like he (and his wife) are getting the short end fo the stick. From what he has told us I can't see how his wife has not satisfied the 'geniuine visitor' criteria. Secondly, given the frequency of the previous applications, I can't see that any inference can be drawn that his wife is attempting de-facto residence through multiple tourist visa applications. Next application draft a submission to submit with the application. PM if you want some helpful tips.

Regards

Bridge

Bridge,

I agree. It seems as if Mason did

get a bad decision but we know that

it happens.

I was trying to find out if Mason had

been advised by DIAC in writing that

a tourist visa won't be issued.

It was such a long time ago now that

he should just apply again and take

it from there.

Regards

Will

Im actually with Mason on this one. It certainly sounds like he (and his wife) are getting the short end fo the stick. From what he has told us I can't see how his wife has not satisfied the 'geniuine visitor' criteria. Secondly, given the frequency of the previous applications, I can't see that any inference can be drawn that his wife is attempting de-facto residence through multiple tourist visa applications. Next application draft a submission to submit with the application. PM if you want some helpful tips.

Regards

Bridge

Bridge,

it happens.

it from there.

Regards

Will

Ok let's move on, let's presume my wife applies for a spouse visa and it's granted, can she move freely outside of Australia during the temporary phase of her spouse visa, otherwise she's back to square one. To me a spouse visa is a real over kill in her situation considering she would probably only spend 90 days in Australia every few years. Let's clear up one thing never has one Aust Govenment done anything for us expats, they give us very little consideration in our partners visa applications, they cut our age pension after 6 months out of Aust or they make you wait for 2 years to requalify, they want to slug us on a higher tax rate with no $6,000 threshold and they will even delete us from Medicare if they think that we're overseas residents. Most of us expats aren't crying poor but we still expect a fair go, people from other countries who migrate to Aust seem to be on every lurk going at our expense, we don't want any special privelleges and handouts, all we want is a fair go for things that come automatic when you reach retirement age. If all us expats united instead of talking about attitude problems etc then we may see some change. I'd like to see some one with the expertise to draft a petition to the appropiate Federal minister and his opposition counterpart and really highlight how Aust expats are treated outside of Aust. If we all emailed the draft then you never know what may happen but it must be an united effort.

Regards

Bridge

Bridge,

it happens.

it from there.

Regards

Will

Ok let's move on, let's presume my wife applies for a spouse visa and it's granted, can she move freely outside of Australia during the temporary phase of her spouse visa, otherwise she's back to square one. To me a spouse visa is a real over kill in her situation considering she would probably only spend 90 days in Australia every few years. Let's clear up one thing never has one Aust Govenment done anything for us expats, they give us very little consideration in our partners visa applications, they cut our age pension after 6 months out of Aust or they make you wait for 2 years to requalify, they want to slug us on a higher tax rate with no $6,000 threshold and they will even delete us from Medicare if they think that we're overseas residents. Most of us expats aren't crying poor but we still expect a fair go, people from other countries who migrate to Aust seem to be on every lurk going at our expense, we don't want any special privelleges and handouts, all we want is a fair go for things that come automatic when you reach retirement age. If all us expats united instead of talking about attitude problems etc then we may see some change. I'd like to see some one with the expertise to draft a petition to the appropiate Federal minister and his opposition counterpart and really highlight how Aust expats are treated outside of Aust. If we all emailed the draft then you never know what may happen but it must be an united effort.

Mason,

I wouldn't apply for a spouse visa in your situation.

At least not at this stage. It's expensive and pretty

time consuming. And you're right, you won't get the

full benefit out of it. Just apply for another tourist

visa. I'm sure it will be approved.

To answer your question, she can move in and out

of Australia as much as she wants during the 2 year

period of the spouse visa.

Don't get me started on the Ozzie government and the

lack of help and benefits. But that's for another forum.

Best of luck.

Will

How many more times are you going to ask this question Mason...???

gburns, as long as it takes me to get a satisfactory reason as to why my wifes visa application got refused 5 years ago. Everytime I make enquiries I keep on getting referred to the letter that was sent to her, I admit I'm no leagle eagle but I did have a tertiary education and the wording of the letter is well over my head and let's not forget it was sent to her. All I want is a straight answer, how can I rectify a problem if I don't know what the problem is in the first place.

Shouldnt you be asking the Immigration people, or your local Oz MP, or The Minister for Foreign Affairs. No one on this forum can help you. By the way, my Thai wife gets 1 year multiple entry tourist visas with no fuss at all, but I complete application, dot all i's and cross all t's, and make sure that they get all documentation to support application.

Regards

Bridge

Bridge,

it happens.

it from there.

Regards

Will

Mason,

To answer your question, she can move in and out

of Australia as much as she wants during the 2 year

period of the spouse visa.

Don't get me started on the Ozzie government and the

lack of help and benefits. But that's for another forum.

Best of luck.

Will

Will, thanks for your reply maybe if this reply had've been a lot earlier then it would've cut out a lot of unneccesary crossfire. I wasn't really off topic in regards to the treatment of expats by all Aust governments but I thought it was worth a mention if someone could post a well written petition and the email addresses of the appropiate ministers both government and opposition then maybe we could make some leeway. We may not get much but we may get a few concessions if we can make enough noise considering there's a Federal election year in Aust.

How many more times are you going to ask this question Mason...???

gburns, as long as it takes me to get a satisfactory reason as to why my wifes visa application got refused 5 years ago. Everytime I make enquiries I keep on getting referred to the letter that was sent to her, I admit I'm no leagle eagle but I did have a tertiary education and the wording of the letter is well over my head and let's not forget it was sent to her. All I want is a straight answer, how can I rectify a problem if I don't know what the problem is in the first place.

Shouldnt you be asking the Immigration people, or your local Oz MP, or The Minister for Foreign Affairs. No one on this forum can help you. By the way, my Thai wife gets 1 year multiple entry tourist visas with no fuss at all, but I complete application, dot all i's and cross all t's, and make sure that they get all documentation to support application.

I agree, I have just done the same myself and it was approved within 5 days. A 12 month Multible Entry visa with a 90 day per visit limit on it. NO DRAMAS at all.

Regards

Bridge

Bridge,

it happens.

it from there.

Regards

Will

Mason, with respect you are beggining to ramble on. Just stick to the substantive issue, and isn't it that your wife has been told no more tourist visas. I offered you some sound advice a while back. Are you really seeking answers, or just using the forum as a venue to rant.

Mason,

Will, thanks for your reply maybe if this reply had've been a lot earlier then it would've cut out a lot of unneccesary crossfire.

You effectively did receive this reply a lot earlier; in the second post!

First make an appointment at the Embassy's Visa section to discuss a 12 month multi entry visa for your wife which can be based on family matters......
Are you really seeking answers, or just using the forum as a venue to rant.

It appears to be the latter: therefore; closed