Question About Dvds And Subtitles

FuninPlural

This nice woman who I want to buy a gift for (as she has been helping me out) has a liking for DVDs. She has all of the Brad Pitt movies, CSI New York, etc. Anyway, I Want to introduce here to one of the greatest shows ever: "The Wire". Now, what I need to know is if the people selling these DVDs outside will (a.), have decent quality (if I had brought my laptop I would've done the DVD quality myself), and more importantly (b.) Have Thai subtitles? The 2nd question seems silly, but I just never envisioned "The Wire" being sold in Thailand legally and thus needing Thai subtitles. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

In Mah Boon Krong on the 3rd floor there is a shop that sells legit DVDs called Look Maew (or something like that). It's located next to a better known DVD chain called Mang Pong (or something like that). You can try either place. They have a lot of foreign DVD shows with Thai subtitles. Don't know if they have the Wire though.

In Mah Boon Krong on the 3rd floor there is a shop that sells legit DVDs called Look Maew (or something like that). It's located next to a better known DVD chain called Mang Pong (or something like that). You can try either place. They have a lot of foreign DVD shows with Thai subtitles. Don't know if they have the Wire though.

I don't know the name of the vendor but as tangoll has said, MBK is the place. I go right off the escalator to the first vendor on the left in the thoroughfare (sorry, not that helpful direction-wise!). Never a problem there in years and they tend not to bother selling the poorer quality stuff, or at least warn you. I bought the entire Wire set there - just checked one and yes it has Thai subs; always best to ask at the time though. Expect to have to wait 30-40 mins for them to go and get your order.

Edit - it SAYS Thai, but can't play it here at the moment. Definitely ask/check about the subs on the bootlegs. Jingthing may well be correct, and probably knows better than I.

Edited by Damacles

If you really like that person and don't mind jumping through a few hoops then just get a good quality DVD without Thai subtitles from your vendor of choice. Next, download the Thai subtitles here from Opensubtitles.org and then recompile the bought DVD with the downloaded Thai subtitles and burn after testing onto a new DVD.

Et voila mon ami! :)

If you really like that person and don't mind jumping through a few hoops then just get a good quality DVD without Thai subtitles from your vendor of choice. Next, download the Thai subtitles here from Opensubtitles.org and then recompile the bought DVD with the downloaded Thai subtitles and burn after testing onto a new DVD.

Et voila mon ami! :)

Good idea, but the OP has problems finding his own condoms, so I think that might be a bit much for him. :D

You should ask your friend if she uses the Thai subtitles on the dvds she already has. I find that many Thais will just use the English subtitles because their English reading skills are much better than their listening skills. The copies will definitely have English subtitles.

It's shown on True Gold in the movie section with sub titles..

What is True Gold,? I hope its a store because she doesn't own a TV, only a portab;e DVD player.

-I don't have my laptop on me, if so, I would consider asking my brother to sort out that whole subtitle thing. He's pretty good with that, and he'd guide me through doing it.

-She can speak English well enough and this is the only reason I am able to talk to her, but the Wire is a very intricate show. She will need the subtitles.

It's shown on True Gold in the movie section with sub titles..

-She can speak English well enough and this is the only reason I am able to talk to her, but the Wire is a very intricate show. She will need the subtitles.

I needed English subtitles and I'm bloody English! All that street talk and I started to lose the plot without a prompt! :) What a great series.

Yesterday I went to the 2 places mentioned in MBK. The first one said they didin't have it all. Then Look Maew said they don't have it, but they can get it and even deliver it to my house, but it won't have Thai subtitles. I don't really feel like buying the ones I've seen on the street unless they have a portable DVD player on the spot where they can show me it has subtitles. If I can't get it I'll just wait till I get back to Japan and send her the copies from there. I should be no problem sending regular DVD-Rs, right?

This thread seems to be about pirated DVD's, which is not allowed. Discus where to buy legal copies only, or it will be closed.

Thank you.

Sorry about that Mario. I was just asking as I honestly was not sure if The Wire was available here in any other form other than pirated. And then when you have pirated DVDs being sold in stores, boundaries start to cross.