How To Save Money Baht/gbp

brianw

With the low exchange rate I have decided that the only way to get over this on my forth coming visit to Pattaya is to stay in the hotel until; 8pm instead of 7pm saving the price of 2 beers and then Chase the Balloons saving the price of evening meal. Any other IDEAS

this sucks...

I suggest not coming to thailand.

Seriously. My folks are due in a couple of weeks. I'm going to see if they can get a refund on their flight and I'll go see them instead. F*** Thai Bhat.

:)

My suggestion to anyone coming to tourists spots in Thailand is:

1/ no ringing the bell

2/ no paying ridiculous bar fines

3/ refuse to enter go-go bars

4/ pay max 500 baht for st

This will reduce the cost for my friends visiting,but not a problem for me as i am considerably richer than yow lot

I went to the newly opened Sizzler in Khon Kaen and their top hamburger was the UK equivalent of over 8 quid. Even my mum and dad on holiday commented on it and told me as (just) pensioners a lot of pubs and restaurants back home do carveries for 2 people for a tenner.

Back in the good old days they used to get a room incl breakfast in Sofitel Khon Kaen for about 20 quid.

They usually come and see me 3 times a year but are even now considering making it 2 (and they're not short of a bob or 2)

My aunt and uncle visit me every other year and they've said they're going to have to give it a miss this year because of the expense.

Makes me wonder how many people will simply not come rather than try to do Thailand on the cheap because of the exchange rate. More than a few I reckon.

Edited by mca

I went to the newly opened Sizzler in Khon Kaen and their top hamburger was the UK equivalent of over 8 quid. Even my mum and dad on holiday commented on it and told me as (just) pensioners a lot of pubs and restaurants back home do carveries for 2 people for a tenner.

Back in the good old days they used to get a room incl breakfast in Sofitel Khon Kaen for about 20 quid.

They usually come and see me 3 times a year but are even now considering making it 2 (and they're not short of a bob or 2)

My aunt and uncle visit me every other year and they've said they're going to have to give it a miss this year because of the expense.

Makes me wonder how many people will simply not come rather than try to do Thailand on the cheap because of the exchange rate. More than a few I reckon.

my local carverie in uk now do a meal and a pint for less than 6 quid,still prefer my kai ped ma mung and leo though,lol.

It's not just the exchange rate. Things in Thailand have generally got to ridiculous levels through sheer greed. The notion that Thailand is cheap still drives many to visit but I think it will now be just the once rather than repeat holidays.

The more that it's reported that it is no longer in the good value category and that Thailand generally is now expensive, the more research into alternatives will invariably be done by potential tourists.

It may be a slow slide over a 5-10 year period. It certainly won't happen in one season.

Interesting, if it helps any, the amount of money I spend each month hasn't changed very much over the past five years or so, except where I have consciously chosen to cut back on things that I felt were wasteful or totally un necessary - many of my costs have actually gone down. A lot of this cost of living issue is driven my lifestyle hence it can be managed to a certain degree, sure, if you hit the tourist spots ever day and eat at Western style restaurants every day, life can get expensive very quickly. But you have to know that in broad terms, everyday costs here are not hugely different to what they have been for quite some time, if that weren't true, the majority of locals would be up in arms or destitute. The other factor of course is the exchange rate, if you come to Thailand on holiday and continue to spend at the 70 Baht per Pound rate it's going to hurt you badly.

Just go home as soon as the happy hours are over and use your right (or left) hand for making that typical movement up and down......

Or change as much pounds as possible into Baht at the beginning of the holidays. Then change whats ever left back into pound at the end. If the pound is dropping as fast at he is now, you may have had your holiday for free.

My suggestion to anyone coming to tourists spots in Thailand is:

1/ no ringing the bell

2/ no paying ridiculous bar fines

3/ refuse to enter go-go bars

4/ pay max 500 baht for st

This will reduce the cost for my friends visiting,but not a problem for me as i am considerably richer than yow lot

Drink Archa instead of Tiger :D

Eat Thai Instead of Falang food :D

Dont TIP :D

If you are still strugling get a flight home :)

MCA will you be around the bars of KhonKaen for songram I will be staying Pullman might meet up

Sorry Brian but I'm off to CM for that week. Another time mate and the drinks are on me. Do you take your 40 degree with red Fanta or M-150? :)

How to save money you ask? It's simple... eat less, exercise more, don't spend on anything that is not necessary and leave the women alone who are not working. Or, in the case of a woman, on the men who are not working. Take up the simple pleasures of life... such as walking, running, hiking, and hobbies like drawing, painting or taking photos. Ride a bicycle instead of a scooter. If you are in Thailand it is very easy to live on the cheap. Meals cost 40 baht or less. Supplement your diet with things that are nourishing and filling. Replace packaged snack foods with fruit. Drink water flavoured with lemon juice (limes called "Minow" in Thailand) instead of sugared drinks like Cola and flavoured soda. Leave the beer alone and all alcoholic beverages. Stay long term in Thai hotels a bit out of town instead of heart of the city farang hotels. You can get a nice room for 4000 baht a month.

Get a room for under 1.000 with a pump gun at the toilette, eat twice a day, morning rice soup, 15 Baht, at 14:00 some rice/noodle dish for 40, buy cheap seasonal fruit for the hunger in between and in the evening. Go fishing, look for herbs, check out the bars with the balloons, and places with lots of cars parked infront...

Spent nothing more, start meditation, consider India...

Edited by Birdman

For me it looks like social is out for the foreseeable future.

Now I will have more time to spend playing about with my computer, at least 15 hours per day, rather than my present 9 hours a day.

I will cut down on my fags, cut out the booze and eat healthier cheap Thai food instead of the more expensive Farang food.

Drink fresh water, no more of those sugar filled soft drinks, like Pepsi or cans of coke. Will stay at home more and not waste money on petrol driving to visit friends on my motorbike, therefore not having to breath in all that polluted air and fumes on the road.

Will take more frequent cold showers to stay cool that will mean not having to use the fans and air con, making savings on my electric bills.

In the end I will end up healthier and at the same time making huge savings with my Thai bahts.

So you see; who says; that suffering doesn't have it`s brighter side?

post-96287-1267660681_thumb.jpg

Edited by BigWheelMan