Tracking Cookies

gravion

Hi. Whats up with these tracking cookies????? I havent been to dodgy sites or pron sites thesedays, yet I got em heaps. HUH?

What is going on????? I googled some of these weird names, and were identified as spyware tracking cookies. HUH? Is this really legal for webmakers to put these scripts and inplant some tracking stuff in my pc??? Isn;t it like putting camera in ladies toielt?

Aswell, are they able to monitor what you type? like password? Shiznit yo. ery hesistante to do internet banking and online purchasing,

btw i've got full versio AVG 9 installed with anti spyware, virus and all other option on

post-94931-1267533472_thumb.jpg

Edited by gravion

Tracking cookies are relatively harmless and cannot harm your computer. They cannot spy passwords or any files from your PC. Think of it like a membership card in your favorite department store which is used to collect information on your shopping habits. As in real life this information can be shared with other companies or sold to obtain a more detailed profile on your consuming patterns, same happens on the internet.

Just delete your cookies every now and then, or if you are paranoid at the end of every browser session.

If you use Firefox you can automate this (don't know about other browsers)

1. Goto Tools / Options / Privacy

2. Find the entry 'Accept Cookies from Sites' (which is checked by default) and select 'Keep until I close Firefox'.

However, this way all cookies will be deleted on exit, no matter whether 'good' or 'bad'. Websites will not be able to 'remember' you until the next time you visit. For instance you will have to log in again any time you come to the Thaivisa forum.

Add thaivisa.com and other 'trusted' websites to the exception list to make it work again.

welo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracking_cookies

Tracking cookies are relatively harmless and cannot harm your computer. They cannot spy passwords or any files from your PC. Think of it like a membership card in your favorite department store which is used to collect information on your shopping habits. As in real life this information can be shared with other companies or sold to obtain a more detailed profile on your consuming patterns, same happens on the internet.

^ A very good explanation. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Just delete your cookies every now and then, or if you are paranoid at the end of every browser session.

I have my browsers configured to automatically clear cache/cookies/history on exit. On top of that, I also use shutdown scripts to get rid of TEMP files as well as the notorious index.dat files (which cannot be deleted while Windows is running).

I don't like having junk on my computer. There's too much of that already :)

^ A very good explanation. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I have my browsers configured to automatically clear cache/cookies/history on exit. On top of that, I also use shutdown scripts to get rid of TEMP files as well as the notorious index.dat files (which cannot be deleted while Windows is running).

I don't like having junk on my computer. There's too much of that already :)

I use CCleaner which seems to take care of cookies, etc.