Another Adsl Question

Deke

I've just put in my request for a True ADSL connection. I understand that I will get a modem/router with a single ethernet port as part of the deal. Can this device be connected directly to my existing ethernet hub? If not, could I install an additional ethernet card in one of the computers on my network and then "share" the connection via Windows XP?

I've go two desktop computers and a laptop that is also sometimes connected through the hub.

Edited by Deke

Its difficult, to use a hub, as the machine that logs on has to supply an IP address to the machines that aren't. AND you have to share the connection back through the same ethernet connection. That is really tricky.

Easy way - buy a router and you put the userid and password on the router, then everything behind the router doesn't matter, like computers, hubs etc.

If your deal provides a router with an ethernet port (such as a Zyxel 600 as supplied by KSC) you can just plug it into a hub and then plug up to 250 odd computers into the hub.

The DHCP and NAT system in the router takes care of all the clever stuff.

I've got 3 pc's connected just like this, all work fine on the net.

Dead easy. :o

If the OP indeed has a modem / router as stated in his post then he can hook up as many PC's as he wants through a hub or a switch...

I haven't seen much real modems with an ethernet port over here in Thailand, most of the times if you have an ethernet port it's also a router...

Meaning it'll do NAT and dhcp so you can hook up a whole network if you so wish :o

Actually Monty, I beg to differ, this is what I understood from the OP...

.....I understand that I will get a modem/router with a single ethernet port as part of the deal.

I got one of these packages a few weeks ago. You get an ADSL Modem, a disk and an envelope with your Userid and Password.

Its a modem with an ethernet connection. Authentication is done via an Application on the one PC connected to the Modem. The application comes on the Disk and its called Lan Road. and it doesn't recognise every Ethernet card.

You can either do what I said before whih is really tricky, Add another Ethernet card and share the connection, or Buy a router and let it do the smart stuff like DHCP.

I am going to the shop and buying the Wireless Router on Special, next week.

My TRUE connection came bundled with the Zycel Prestige 630 USB modem which does NOT have an ethernet port on it.

Simple solution for me was to use an old Compex Net Passage as my hub and share my internet connection through it - got 3 machines hooked up right now with no problems at all.

I checked the literature that True sent me and it refers to an "ethernet modem". The person that I talked with on the phone definitely called it a router though.

A friend of mine who recently signed up for the savm package tells me that it is made by Huaiwei but very little in the way of a user manual is included in the package and he just has it hooked up to one PC anyway.

Apparently it comes with an ethernet card. Is there any problem with having two ethernet cards in the same computer and then sharing the connection via the LAN?

A messenger is supposed to deliver the "modem" and a contract on Wednesday. According to the customer service rep, I'll be able to use it three days after they receive all of the paperwork.

Mattnich,

I received a router modem with only one ethernet port. specs xavi router

It is a full router with dhcp, nat, firewall, port forwarding and the works. I set up my ppoe connection true the web interface (192.168.1.1) of the router, no software at all resides on my pc.

Probably depends what company you receiver your equipment from, I subscribed with Ji-net through TT&T, who supplied the router to me!

Anyway, going to the router way like you plan to do makes sense, it's simply not smart to hook up a pc directly to the net with a modem due to security risks.

One would need the very best in software firewall etc...

At least with a router there is one big hurdle between the net and your pc....just make sure the router has a built in firewall...

Mattnich,

I received a router modem with only one ethernet port. specs xavi router

It is a full router with dhcp, nat, firewall, port forwarding and the works. I set up my ppoe connection true the web interface (192.168.1.1) of the router, no software at all resides on my pc.

Monty, a good piece of luck. All you need to do is put a hub behind the router and away you go. You can connect as many machines as you like.

If it has PPoE authentication it'll work over here.

Most ISP's need you to authenticate with username and password using the PPE protocoll.

Otherwise adsl is standard the world over!

Just to update anybody who might be interested....

I received the package from True which was as Mattnich described. It included what True calls an "ADSL modem", an ethernet PCI card, cables, CD and User ID.

The "modem" is a Huawei MT 800. My understanding is that this device has PPoE built in but that True has disabled it. I found a couple of websites (search for "Huawei MT800") that describe a similar setup in India and how to reset the MT 800 to factory defaults and then input the PPoE data.

I wasn't brave enough to try this, at least not yet.

I ended up installing the ethernet card that True supplied as part of the package in one of my machines and sharing the connection.

Right now, it works sort of OK; meaning that sometimes the shared connection works and sometimes it doesn't. I guess this is more of a Windows problem though.

Anyway, my "connect speeds" to True have been ranging from about 680 to 980 kbps; depending on time of day. I bought the I M package.

Realizing that I should probably just cough up the money for a router, does anybody have any tips regarding Windows XP shared connections?

I just purchased and SMC Barricade adsl modem / 4 port router / 802.11b/g wirless access point / hardware firewall for 4300 baht from pantip on tuesday.

I don't have adsl yet as I am moving house on the 1st of june.

I just cannot find a way yet to forward my pocketpc wireless connection to my proxy server running on the machine with the modem.

Stu,

I'm using a pocketpc (little bit older running WinCe3.0) with a SMC wireless flash card.

I could indeed not find a way to manually put a gatewyay IP inside. I can change IP and dns servers, but no gateway.

However after I set up my wireless access point's dhcp server to give out a gateway, my pocket pc does seem to accept that, and gets access through the pc connected to the internet.

router.JPG

Edited by monty