Another One Bites The Dust Part 2

gotlost

Asmerom : "I dare you put a calorie count on your products. Though, come to think of it ,you may need an attached laboratory equipped with a battery of expensive whizzers and whirlers to work out the sums."

I'm not sure why we are being singled out for a calorie count. Are you laboring under the impression that butter or butterfat somehow has more calories than vegetable shortening? Because, I can assure you that it doesn't. According the the United State Department of Agriculture, 1 tablespoon of butter has 102 calories. 1 tablespoon of vegetable shortening has 113 calories. On a per gram basis one gram of butter has has 7.2 calories. Whereas one gram of vegetable shortening has 8.8 calories. So both by weight and by volume, butter has less calories than vegetable shortening.

Yes, you are quite right to call into question the implications of my request which does suggest that butter is more calorific than other common cooking fats and I stand corrected.It does have that undeserved reputation and I hadn't really thought very clearly about it ; just accepted standard belief. I spread Olive Grove Lite on my toast which contains 20kj per gram which translates into 5 calories I think. About 30% less than butter. Its a weight problem made infinitely worse by reading Thai Visa. This one thread has contributed 350 calories to my daily intake. I wonder if we could'nt invent a "lite" version of TV with 30% less calories or kilojoules.

Unfortunately these lite fats aren't suitable for cooking so yes, we're stuck with butter.By the way, Does anyone know the Brand Name of the butter used by Art Cafe which tastes like double cream. The butter I buy (when I'm feeling sinful) Allowrie and Orchid doesn't seem to replicate that delicious taste.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Art Cage makes their own butter. :)

Wow ! Make their own butter ! Do they have a herd of their own cows and if so, where do they hide them? I 've often wondered where all the milk comes from as I never see any cows in green fields around Chiang Mai or anywhere. Make their own butter!! Isn't that a rather long winded process requiring milkmaids churning things for hours on end?

Yes, it is, but they also have their own cheese factory - DeCheeso - and Thai farmers bring them the milk that they make everything with. They make cheese from goats and cow milk, yogurt, ice cream, butter and probably some other things that I have forgotten about.

Asmerom : "I dare you put a calorie count on your products. Though, come to think of it ,you may need an attached laboratory equipped with a battery of expensive whizzers and whirlers to work out the sums."

I'm not sure why we are being singled out for a calorie count. Are you laboring under the impression that butter or butterfat somehow has more calories than vegetable shortening? Because, I can assure you that it doesn't. According the the United State Department of Agriculture, 1 tablespoon of butter has 102 calories. 1 tablespoon of vegetable shortening has 113 calories. On a per gram basis one gram of butter has has 7.2 calories. Whereas one gram of vegetable shortening has 8.8 calories. So both by weight and by volume, butter has less calories than vegetable shortening.

Yes, you are quite right to call into question the implications of my request which does suggest that butter is more calorific than other common cooking fats and I stand corrected.It does have that undeserved reputation and I hadn't really thought very clearly about it ; just accepted standard belief. I spread Olive Grove Lite on my toast which contains 20kj per gram which translates into 5 calories I think. About 30% less than butter. Its a weight problem made infinitely worse by reading Thai Visa. This one thread has contributed 350 calories to my daily intake. I wonder if we could'nt invent a "lite" version of TV with 30% less calories or kilojoules.

Unfortunately these lite fats aren't suitable for cooking so yes, we're stuck with butter.By the way, Does anyone know the Brand Name of the butter used by Art Cafe which tastes like double cream. The butter I buy (when I'm feeling sinful) Allowrie and Orchid doesn't seem to replicate that delicious taste.

You're right about Dacheeso (Art Cafe) butter. Their cream is also brilliant. As good as anything I had in the UK or Ireland where I lived for a year. . Just like that cream, it thickens up on its own in about a day. They also make an old fashioned creamtop (unhomogenized) milk that clearly is pasteurized the old fashioned way at low temperature. It tends to go sour quickly but not rotten unlike standard pasteurized milk. . You can still drink it as soured milk or use it in recipes that call for sour milk. In fact, all their fresh milk products are first rate. And their Hideway cafe has some really nice stuff as well.

WHAT ! ! ..... not another weather and smog thread...... you people up there must be a group of smoggies

:D

Excellent new word Gonzo. I'm gonna steal it to use as my own, if you will permit.

...for asking so nicely, permission granted and with it comes joint creation credit

You can even creat the character Capt. Smoggie to fight the evil-dooers

:)

Nerd_With_Glasses_Royalty_Free_Clipart_Picture_090503-225170-735048.jpg Mapguy undercover 17282.jpgCaptain Smoggie fighting air pollution on Thai Visa!

Hey UG, maybe Capt. Smoggie would be more apt to have a breathing mask over his mouth & Nose.... and maybe windsheild wipers on his glasses... no doubt he should be somewhat older and being as this is CM , the food munching hub of the planet, he may not be fat, but should at least have a paunch.

whatd'ya tink?

Gonzo

Is this TV's "MapGuy" or Googles MapJack ???

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Are you sure? When he goes down to Loi Kroh to have a beer and discuss how to stop pollution, the girls all yell out hansum man.

Yeah..... know what you mean...... I have had that problem for years..... thats why I have to have a beard....... among other uses/reasons

:)