Changing Burmese Money

:D

Do you have in friends in the Burmese expatriate community in Bangkok? They will know who changes Kyat for Baht.

I've never done it myself, but my Burmese friend told me that were certain Burmese moneychangers in Bangkok you should go to before you go to Burma. The official exchange rate inside Burma (maybe we should call it Myanmar) is terrible. The government requires tourists to exchange an amount of money at the official rate. That is what you show as your official currency exchange ...that's how you got Kyat...keep the reciept. What you really use for your expenses is what you exchanged before you arrived in Myanmar. Contact a member of the Burmese community in Bangkok if you know one. They can tell you who to use and who is trustworthy.

:)

Edited by IMA_FARANG

hmmm...I think you are saying that you want to change Kyat for Baht and in that case you chances are basically zero in my experience. Kyat is only a legal form of tender within Myanmar and no one will trade it officiallly.

And you can get a very good rate if in Yangon and you need to change currency into Kyat at the markets at the old train station. It is "black market" but very openly done by nearly every jewellery trader there ( and there are dozens). just walk and they will find you

hmmm...I think you are saying that you want to change Kyat for Baht and in that case you chances are basically zero in my experience. Kyat is only a legal form of tender within Myanmar and no one will trade it officiallly.

And you can get a very good rate if in Yangon and you need to change currency into Kyat at the markets at the old train station. It is "black market" but very openly done by nearly every jewellery trader there ( and there are dozens). just walk and they will find you

Why don't you hang out outside the Burmese embasssy, consular section, on Pan Road (between Silom and Sathorn). If you go at 3.00 pm mon-fri (somebody please correct me if I am wrong) you will see people exiting the visa section with smiles on their faces having been picked up their passports.

I am sure many first time travellers will be happy to pick up Kyat before they depart for Yangon, even though most people know that you can get by with USD until you have a chance to get to a money changer.

Ii agree with the above, go to where the Burmese community are. Embassy is a good place to start.

I came back from the middle east with some Qatar Riyals that I forgot to change. Most bank related exchange booths wouldn't touch, or exchange at a crap rate. I went to Soi Arab around Nana and I got a great rate there, similar to what I could get in the middle east.