Esol When Can The Course Be Taken

My wife has just arrived in the UK.

I think she has a better chance in passing an ESOL course with citizenship than the life in the UK test.

Can she take the course now after being in the UK a few weeks or do you have to take nearer the time in applying for ILR?

Yes anytime.

My wife has just started her ESOL yesterday after 3 months in the UK.

The course is 15 weeks a term and costs £73 each time,they manage to squeeze 3 terms a year in,and is designed to improve their English and knowledge of life in the UK leading up to ILR Testing .

The course.....is designed to improve their English and knowledge of life in the UK leading up to ILR Testing .

Not quite. Advancement one stage on an ESOL with citizenship course means one does not need to take the test. It's one or the other; not both.

See Demonstrating your knowledge of language and life in the UK.

Thanks,seems to me that I will have to enquire whether my wifes course includes the "Language with Citizenship" attachment to the course or not?

Yes. If it does not include citizenship materials then it is not suitable for ILR purposes.

If it is the wrong type of course then she can continue with it and hope that her English improves enough to take the test, or she can transfer to a suitable course.

Check with your local Council. My wife as got on a Free Government funded course. Twice a week 3.5 hours in total.

Course includes Citizenship Materials. I think it will depend on your Local Council. You can ask. I was willing to pay but was told they had got funding

You need to be assesed at which level your lass is at.

She then needs to progress to the next level, and the course needs to be delivered in a citizenship context.

My Mrs went to a little course centre, not a collage.

She paid £5 per week and could attend upto 3 times a week.

She was assesed at level 2 and failed the test 1st time after just 5 weeks.

The women then put my wife at level 1, and passed after 3 weeks.

The test cost £50 each time.

Scotty

My wifes ESOL course started in September 2008 and finished in June 2009, she started at level 1 and had reached level 3 at the end of the course as had everybody in the class. The course only reached level 3.

Brigante7.