Renewal/extension Of Work Permit And Non-b

hi...

I currently work in Thailand under a contract that ends April 30, 2010.

My work permit and non-B visa, of course, are set and matched to the end on dates coinciding with my current contract.

Next week, I will receive a new contract (from current employer) that will cover working from May 1 2010 to April 30 2011 (extend current employment one additional year).

I am not sure -- what is the procedure for getting my visa and work permit extended to match the new contract end date of April 2011?

For example, do I first go to Immigration with my passport and the new contract and request an extension of stay until April 20 2011? Then to Labor for the work permit?

Or do I first go to the Labor Ministry with the contract and have the work permit changed first, then to immigration?

Can I start this process now, as soon as I get the new contract, even though the new end date will be more than a year in the future? I don't want to wait until April 30 2010 to have to run around quickly to get this all done.

Thanks

You first go to the labour office to get the work permit extended, they either do this right away or give you a WP3 form. You take that with you to immigration and can get your extension. If they gave you a WP3 form you than go back to labour and get the actual extension of the WP.

You can apply 30 days early before the current WP/permission to stay ends. It is always wise to do it a bit early, so you have time in case some document is missing.

Thanks that helps a lot.

When I go to Labor, do I need a covering letter from the employer to show them? Or just the new contract and my WP/Passport should be enough?

You first go to the labour office to get the work permit extended, they either do this right away or give you a WP3 form. You take that with you to immigration and can get your extension. If they gave you a WP3 form you than go back to labour and get the actual extension of the WP.

You can apply 30 days early before the current WP/permission to stay ends. It is always wise to do it a bit early, so you have time in case some document is missing.

There are many company documents that also have to be submitted to the labour office, plus your last personal tax return (Form 91) if available. You should talk to your employer. I'm somewhat surprised they are not taking care of your WP renewal themselves.

the staff that handles this matter are incompetent.

their idea of "handling it" is dragging me with them while they stumble through the process.... last year it took 3 visits to labor and two visits to immigration, because each time they had the wrong document or had some how snafu'd the documents (e.g. writing a wrong date).

i was trying to find a way to make my life easier by doing it myself.

There are many company documents that also have to be submitted to the labour office, plus your last personal tax return (Form 91) if available. You should talk to your employer. I'm somewhat surprised they are not taking care of your WP renewal themselves.

ok i tried to work with them (my employer) today.

the person who handles this called her contact at immigration -- and the immigration person insisted that

we must do it this way: first immigration; then labor; then back to immigration again. 3 stops.

basically, go to immigration to temporarily extend the visa end date; then labor to get the work permit to show the date a year out; then back to immigration to stamp the date a year out.

i said i heard otherwise...that we could go to labor and immigration, one trip each in that order.

but the contact at the immigration office said that was flat out wrong.

are you guys sure about this?

i will have my employer prepare all the paperwork and go myself to labor and then immigration, as that is much easier.... if you are sure.

You will still need a lot of paperwork from your employer, both for labour and immigration. All you can try to do is check it before it is send to labour and make sure every document is there.
Edited by foolforlove