Saw-palmetto Availibility And Effectivness

steveb

Anyone have experience using SAW-PALMETTO for enlarged prostrate as an alternative to Proscar? Been using Proscar but would like to see if SAW-PALMETTO works for me. Anyone have any experience. Also where can it be bought in Bangkok?

As you no doubt know, while most cases of enlarged prostate are benign, need to exclude cancer of prostate.

For benign prostate enlargement (BPH), at least one controlled study I have seen indicates it is comparable to Proscar in effectiveness in controlling symptoms due to BPH. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginf...awpalmetto.html

And several TV members have swear by it.

Finding it is the problem. You can try GNC.

If you are in Pattaya, a prior poster said

"About halfway down the Threpassit Rd on the right hand side going towards Jomtien there is a large Pharmacy.In one window it has a range of Hospital beds etc. Thats where yhou can get Saw Palmetto cheaply and quite a lot of Vitamin Suppliments also.

It has also been reported found in an unspecified pharmacy in Kata, Phuket

And I seem to remember some time back someone saying they had found it in a shop on upper Sukhumvit but I can't seem to find that reference.

Several people have also reported buying it online through Amazon and other suppliers without difficulty.

I hope I'm not too off-topic,

but I have a question about Saw Palmetto:

Can Saw Palmetto be effective is reducing a male's need to urinate in the night (which wakes me up).

A friend of mine swears by it.

Are there studies on Saw Palmetto and reducing/preventing night-time pees?

Thanks to anyone who can answer.

Can Saw Palmetto be effective is reducing a male's need to urinate in the night (which wakes me up).

IF the night peeing is due to benign prostatic hypertrophy then yes, saw palmetto may help but that is a diagnosis that needs to be made by a doctor.

It will not help if problem is due to prostate cancer, nor if it is simply due to drinking too much beer (or other fluid) in the evening.

• 4 months later...

http://www.nananaka.com

delivery to your door

Dragging up an old thread here- but after a search...

Saw Palmetto is 1,000B for 200 caps at jumbo's link. That's $32.25 USD, or 16 cents a capsule. Not bad!

I just got organic Total Prostate Protection -saw palmetto, green tea, pumpkin seed oil, ginger, rosemary, 2Xnettle;

144 caps for $34.81 USD or 1,079B or 24 cents a capsule

Also; organic Saw Palmetto + Pygeum for 14 cents a capsule

I just read up on the stuff; Germany and Austria prescribe it as a first line treatment for prostatitis and benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH - non-cancerous enlarged prostate - frequently also called benign prostatic hyperplasia).

I read that the following help the prostate along with Saw Palmetto;

pygeum

nettle

zinc

green tea

ginger

pumpkin seed

rosemary

damiana

I'd like to know if anyone, especially Europeans, have any info if this stuff works. The US doctors HATE non-pharmaceutical treatments and want me to take a prescription.

They also want to ram a scope up me bum and take a look'round all the way up to my eyeballs for bowel cancer. I'm thinking an annual Fecal Occult Blood Test is a better option. Any thoughts?

Edited by ding

Try this one from Swisse vitamins. I have tried quite a few but this is the best by far.

What it does:

Swisse UltiBoost Prostate 50 tabs (was PROSQN) is based on the assessment of clinical studies, which indicated that certain ingredients in the formula provided relief from the symptoms of medically diagnosed Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy (or Hyperplasia, commonly known as prostate enlargement), including difficulties in micturition, a hesitant interrupted weak stream, urinary frequency, urgency and dribbling or leaking. Swisse Ultiboost PROSTATE is based on natural herbal ingredients. Used as directed, Swisse Ultiboost PROSTATE may deliver positive results relatively quickly. Swisse Ultiboost PROSTATE is based on 25 years of research and contains scientifically validated ingredients, to assist in normal prostate function

What is in it?

Saw palmetto- inhibits the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (which has been linked to the development of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH). It also aids in the reduction of BPH symptoms

Tomato- is a source of the phytochemical lycopene

Stinging nettle- aids in the reduction of BPH symptoms

Zinc- essential for prostate gland function

Pumpkin seed- excellent source of zinc

Selenium- an antioxidant reducing the effects of free radicals in the body

Reishi Mushroom- reduces inflammation

Panax Ginseng- also reduces inflammation

Dyer's Root- acts as a diuretic

Liquorice - decreases urinary tract irritation and inflammation

Vitamin D3

Turmeric - is an antioxidant

Folic acid- may aid in the prevention of kidney stone formation

I'd like to know if anyone, especially Europeans, have any info if this stuff works. The US doctors HATE non-pharmaceutical treatments and want me to take a prescription.

They also want to ram a scope up me bum and take a look'round all the way up to my eyeballs for bowel cancer. I'm thinking an annual Fecal Occult Blood Test is a better option. Any thoughts?

If by "this stuff" yopu mean saw palmetto, it's effectiveness for BPH is well established and recognized (yes, even in the US). I have no idea re the other things mentioned.

Re the bowel cancer check: depends on your age and family history. See this link for full discussion http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1819350-overview

As it notes there are some differences of opinion around what people with no special risk factors should do by way of screening. I think all would agree that someone with a family history of colon cancer/polyps or personal history of colon disease/polyps etc, or with otherwise unexplained bowel symptoms or anemia, should undergo periodic endoscopy (the tube up the butt) along with annual stool tests for occult blood. Where differences of opinion come in is for those without such risk factors. Prior to age 50 I think there is consensus that an annual stool test for occult blood is sufficient, to be followed by colonoscopy if positive. But for the over 50 year old group, there is some divergence of opinion. Most US authorities say either a colonoscopy every 10 years (preferrable) OR a yearly stool test for blood and a flexible sigmoidoscopy every 5 years. But why bother with sigmo as it's still a tube up where you don't want a tube, and colonoscopy is more reliable and needed less often.

http://wwwtest.cdc.gov/cancer/colorectal/basic_info/screening/guidelines.htm

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/cancer/treatment/prevention_detection/screening_guidelines.aspx

While a colonoscopy every 10 years (or sigmo every 5, ) is recommended for average risk people starting at age 50, if a person is unwilling to undergo this, a yearly stool test is certainly much better than nothing.

Of course if you are in an above average risk category that is a whole other matter and should just bite the bullet and get a colonoscopy.

BTW the "tube up the bum" is done under sedation and most people don't feel a thing. Do a search on this forum for some foirst hand reports.

I had been taking Saw Palmeto for at least 6 years but found it difficult to buy here.

Recently a Thai friend told me about Virgin Coconut Oil,which on Google appears to solve just about any ailment with thousands of posts....have been taking it,,,2 desertspoons a day,,,and I must admit the 3am visit to the loo is a thing of the past