So You Have Lived Here A While, Is Thailand Still The Land Of Smiles ?

ongoing

Admittingly, I'm just a lowly tourist. I recently came back to States after 6 weeks motorcycling around Thailand. I put on just about 15,000km covering almost all regions of Thailand. If I got a good vibe at a particular city/location, I would stay for a few days, otherwise I would move on... Anyway...

My impression is that Thai people are a little bit friendlier, willing to help, and just a little bit nicer. On more than 1/2 dozen occasions, I had random people jump on the back of my bike to show me the directions I asked for. (They had to walk back.) Random people would go and get me a glass of water while I was eating at roadside stalls. A lot of people were just curious and interested what I was doing and where I have been and where I'm going... Some would invite me to have a drink, etc. Is this really that different from the USA? Well, only to a small degree. When you get out of the big cities in the USA, you will find similar attitudes and I have had similar experiences in rural USA as well. In other words, Thailand people are only a little different.

That said, Thailand turned out to be a lot different than what I expected. It is not really that exotic. Even the rural areas are quite 'Western' IMO. It is very crowded. Stray dogs everywhere... etc, etc... But there is one thing that surprised me the most,

To be perfectly frank most of the westerners I've run in to who say Thais don't like us are usually quite deserving of that dislike.

What surprised me the most is the foreigners living in Thailand. I only met these people in Touristy areas. I know my sample isn't that great. But my impression is that the only thing distinguishing a lot of foreigners is just their individual degree of creepiness. The old guys who retired here seem more normal, but generally quite bitter. I am 30 and there appears to be very few foreigners my age living in Thailand that are average/normal guys, which is unfortunate. If I ever come back, I will make more of an effort to go to things like Foreign Correspondents Club events, etc, and hopefully meet some typical expats, but that is my impression for now.

Edited by witold

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

..first thing every morning, and last thing every night, my (thai/chinese) wife gives me a great big smile...so L.O.S. ( "lots" of smiles ) works for me to a T (hailand)..

signed: your perception is your reality is your bias is your life

Absolutely. As I said before some are living in 'cloud cuckoo' land.

Why did you need to point out that your wife is thai/chinese? All TV posters are married to Thai/Chinese women. V few are with Isaan women. :)

Thats what i said in my post earlier,he had to say chinese/thai,WHY DID YOU DO THAT?????

I am 30 and there appears to be very few foreigners my age living in Thailand that are average/normal guys, which is unfortunate. If I ever come back, I will make more of an effort to go to things like Foreign Correspondents Club events, etc, and hopefully meet some typical expats, but that is my impression for now.

You got me thinking back to my 30's in Bangkok. I seem to remember that there were a lot of us back then, give or take 5 years. Not that many of us stayed, as I did. There is a lot of turnover in the expat community, for various reasons. Can't vouch for the state of affairs in Bangkok these days, as I'm still here, but here is a field in the far North. There certainly aren't many 30 types around here, I'll give you that. Thirty years of Bangkok was enough, even though I have fond memories.

To be perfectly frank most of the westerners I've run in to who say Thais don't like us are usually quite deserving of that dislike.

Absolutely.

So, so , true. Who is a thai going to be friendlier towards...a) grouchy paranoid farang who gives an oscar winning performance of studying his bill in a bar because hes paranoid about being scammed or :) smiley farang who is bantering with the thais (in thai or english). Bascially, we reap what we sow...

Bangkok and Pattaya are not. But Thailand still is. :)

As long as one can distinguish between the foreigner/tourist enclaves and genuine Thailand, one can still find broad, friendly, no-strings-attached smiles to brighten every day. I do. :D

Yes It is.

Agree 100%

Also agree with you both

(mca @ 2010-03-05 11:41:07) *

Blame the Farang devils laugh.gif . I cant belive that so many people on here will say anything apart from admit that in general Thai's treat Farangs alot worse than they treat other Thais.

These people are like children trying to impress the most popular Kid in school. But this way they are trying to impress Thai's by showing how much they dislike other Farangs rolleyes.gif .

What is happening ?

From my own experience I've always been treated with the utmost respect by Thais. Be it real or feigned I don't know or really don't care. That's human nature. It's definitely a case of treat others as you'd expect to be treated yourself and that usually works in spades with the locals, from the lads who empty my septic tank to the head of the local Chamber of Commerce and all round rich as shit bloke.

Of course I could be like the foreigner I had the misfortune to be in the vicinity of in my local 7-11. Leaning across the counter shouting "CIGARETTES! CIGARETTES!" with a contemptuous look on his face before storming out muttering about "F#cking monkeys"

Or the foreigner I spied in an open air pub blaring out to the waiter " ,Oi! You! CHANG CHOP CHOP!"

They most probably think Thais don't like westerners. In their cases they were right. I didn't like the c#nts either and it wouldn't matter if they were in Bangkok, Bogota or Brighton..

Reading through the thread and looking at where each poster is living, it looks as if in general those living in tourist areas, where expats make a large percentage of the population, such as Pattaya, Phuket and Samui are more likely to believe Thais dislike farangs. Those living in places with large numbers of expats, but making up a smaller percentage of the overall population, such as Bangkok and Chiang Mai, seem to go both ways, while those in rural areas, such as Khon Kaen, Nong Khai, and myself in Buri Ram, tend to disagree with the OP. Personally, I tend to avoid the expat ghettos such as Pattaya and Patong due to the type of foreigner you're likely to meet there, and the type of Thai they seem to attract. So why should the Thais be any different? Sadly, as more foreigners move into the country, these attitudes will spread, and places like Hua Hin will be the next to fall. In the meantime, I don't really care what you think the Thais think of you, but it is being rather simplistic to believe that all Thais throughout the country think the same way.

Reading through the thread and looking at where each poster is living, it looks as if in general those living in tourist areas, where expats make a large percentage of the population, such as Pattaya, Phuket and Samui are more likely to believe Thais dislike farangs. Those living in places with large numbers of expats, but making up a smaller percentage of the overall population, such as Bangkok and Chiang Mai, seem to go both ways, while those in rural areas, such as Khon Kaen, Nong Khai, and myself in Buri Ram, tend to disagree with the OP. Personally, I tend to avoid the expat ghettos such as Pattaya and Patong due to the type of foreigner you're likely to meet there, and the type of Thai they seem to attract. So why should the Thais be any different? Sadly, as more foreigners move into the country, these attitudes will spread, and places like Hua Hin will be the next to fall. In the meantime, I don't really care what you think the Thais think of you, but it is being rather simplistic to believe that all Thais throughout the country think the same way.

That is my observation as well.

I go to one woman who is about 50 and does medicinal massage. I have known her for a while and she is unusually good and kind and honest. The other day, my change was dropping out of my pocket as she massaged me and she seemed really puzzled when I told her to leave it there until we finished. She told me that most farangs are afraid that she will steal it and if she tries to pick it up to give it to them, sometimes they will actually grab it out of her hand.

These people put up with a lot from some of us and can usually smile about it. thumbsup.gif

Personally, I tend to avoid the expat ghettos such as Pattaya and Patong due to the type of foreigner you're likely to meet there, and the type of Thai they seem to attract.

I do tend to stereotype and generalize about the Pattaya westerner (and I'm as guilty as sin because I've never been there) but to be brutally honest the vast majority of the ones I've met who've moved to my area fit that stereotype I've envisaged to a "T"

Edited by mca

I've being coming to Thailand regularly for 8 years and lived in Bangkok for 3 years. It is still LOS to me.

I think it can often be a reflection of your own attitudes as to how the Thais respond, whether you are in Tourist areas or very Thai areas.

I go to one woman who is about 50 and does medicinal massage. I have known her for a while and she is unusually good and kind and honest. The other day, my change was dropping out of my pocket as she massaged me and she seemed really puzzled when I told her to leave it there until we finished. She told me that most farangs are afraid that she will steal it and if she tries to pick it up to give it to them, sometimes they will actually grab it out of her hand.

These people put up with a lot from some of us and can usually smile about it. thumbsup.gif

Yup. :) And I for one am able to smile with most people about such things, instead of seeing anything less than a smile when faced with such idiots as 'them' hating 'us'. :D

To be honest I have about as much in common with most Thais that I meet as I do with most foreigners and perhaps more so. (Lived almost my whole adult life in Thailand, I share most Thais' taste in music, food, religion (to a degree) and so on. I tend to perceive things similarly to many Thais (especially those I know and hang out with). I know this is going to get a response from some forum members, likely some disparaging comment about 'going native'.. I don't see it as 'going native' though, or rather, I see assimilating to some degree as a natural process; it'd be much harder to rigidly remain 'foreign'. And even this most forum members will dispute, saying that a foreigner will never assimilate. To some degree that'd be true, but that moment when actually interacting with people and them realizing we're not so different is priceless every time. And that happens ESPECIALLY in tourist areas where people don't know me. :D Ok, shoot. :D

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

From my own experience I've always been treated with the utmost respect by Thais. Be it real or feigned I don't know or really don't care. That's human nature. It's definitely a case of treat others as you'd expect to be treated yourself and that usually works in spades with the locals, from the lads who empty my septic tank to the head of the local Chamber of Commerce and all round rich as shit bloke.

Of course I could be like the foreigner I had the misfortune to be in the vicinity of in my local 7-11. Leaning across the counter shouting "CIGARETTES! CIGARETTES!" with a contemptuous look on his face before storming out muttering about "F#cking monkeys"

Or the foreigner I spied in an open air pub blaring out to the waiter " ,Oi! You! CHANG CHOP CHOP!"

They most probably think Thais don't like westerners. In their cases they were right. I didn't like the c#nts either and it wouldn't matter if they were in Bangkok, Bogota or Brighton..

More excellent comments from MCA!! Couldn't have said it better.

??? What a puzzling response. And I have no idea what you mean with a trailer. You must have me confused with someone else.

So on that assumption, I'll let the earlier remark on where I am most comfortable slide as it's aimed at someone you may know.

"trailer" --- US for what the UK refers to as a Caravan (I think). The "lower end" of society in those 2 countries.

There's also a "lower end" airlines for these folks....

post-21740-1267844415_thumb.jpg

More excellent comments from MCA!! Couldn't have said it better.

Concur

Personally, I tend to avoid the expat ghettos such as Pattaya and Patong due to the type of foreigner you're likely to meet there, and the type of Thai they seem to attract.

I do tend to stereotype and generalize about the Pattaya westerner (and I'm as guilty as sin because I've never been there) but to be brutally honest the vast majority of the ones I've met who've moved to my area fit that stereotype I've envisaged to a "T"

I will say the opposite,many of my good friends are in Pattaya,and some are very wealthy but not big headed.Good and bad everywhere and many say Bangkok is much worse than Pattaya for bad farangs,and bigheaded farang too,so we choose our friends nobody else.

I always thought Land of Smiles exists only in the imagination of the very clever marketing person employed to sell the Thailand brand. Besides why does everyone think Land of Smiles refers to smiling Thais? Perhaps it refers to smiling visitors after a good experience here in Thailand. Did anyone really move here based on a vague promise of a nation filled with smiling dithering idiots who would smile 24hours a day all year round, without rhyme or reason, through hardship and good times? If you did, no wonder you are disappointed!

If you are still smiling wherever you are, then for you that is your Land of Smiles. If you are not smiling anymore, then perhaps it is time to move on to find your own Land of Smiles.

As for me, I am still smiling (often but not continuously) after 3 years in Thailand!

OP... if you've lived here a while you should have realised it is the Land of Smiles but its working out which smile is being flashed towards you...

Is it the i'm about to rip you off in a nice way smile..

The no i have not got the foggiest what you are on about but will flash the confirmation smile anyway

The no problem smile which means you are getting away with it once only cus you is farang

There are plenty more but these spring to mine first..

Quoted for truth. They have lots of smiles and use them all the time, even when they are about to rip you off, sucker punch you, or lie to your face. It IS the land of smiles. However, it can also be a good friendly smile.

I went with some friends down south and took them out to James Bond Island on a small long tail boat. We came sort of late and when there, asked to pay the fee for entry. We paid, and to our surprise, the guy ended up giving it back to us a few minutes later!!!! My guess is his boss was not there to collect, but the guy was honest and returned the money, which was a FIRST in the 10 years I've been here.

We were so shocked, we took a photo.

I think we all have different experiences based on attitudes and apprearances in what responses we get. Any country will provide similiar results I believe. My short month spent in Chiang Mai was great. I stayed in a local neighborhood, visited local markets, traveled to non-tourist like areas and was treated wonderfully but maybe having a local Thai with me helped. I do know if you are alone things can be different.

Let me add this. I recently traveled to other(3) Asian countries last month and after spending that time there and comparing experiences I would put Thailand on the list of being treated best above them all. The people stand out in my mind as being wonderful compared to those others.

Edited by Bolo

I first came to Thailand at age 35 in 1971. serving with the U.S. Army. I had already been posted to 6 other Asian countries, but found Thailand far superior to any of the other postings and after living in Pattaya (yes it was a nice place to live 39 years ago), for a year while working at U-Tapao RTNAB and in Sriracha, I decided Thailand would be where I wanted to retire eventually, so I geared my life towards that goal.

On my 30th trip to Thailand, I met and later married my present (Thai) wife. We lived in the United States (San Antonio Texas and Yuma Arizona) for 10 years and she became an American citizen, but we both longed to return to Thailand. On my 36th trip to Thailand in 2005, we just quit splitting our year between America and Thailand and moved permanently to Chiayaphum.

I bought land, built a huge home, and spent everyday amongst the local Isaan people, which I've come to believe are the greatest clan/group/tribe of people in the world.

They have in all cases treated me better than anyone in any of the 39 countries I've lived or worked in or visited. They ARE the kindest, most wonderful people I've ever met.

In 2007, for my own selfish reasons (so I could be in Bangkok and enjoy daily movies, shopping malls, farang restaurants etc.) my wife and I moved to an apartment near Lumpini Park. Our complex consists of about 240 apartments, and all but 15 are occupied by Thai neighbors. I get on better with all my Thai neighbors than most of the farang neighbors. Many are Isaan btw.

I dearly love this country, and yes, for me it is still the Land of Smiles. I have always treated each and every person I meet with respect, and in return have never been treated poorly, or harshly, excepting in Europe and America on occasion.

I find the people of Asia in general so much easier to blend in with than Americans or Europeans. Maybe it's just me, or maybe for once I am totally correct in my belief.

Ken Bower

U.S. Army retired

Living in full retirement in Thailand

Planning never to leave this country again (since 2005).

It's the same as it was ..... I never believed it was some paradise in the first place. As far a double pricing goes, that's such a red herring, in the USA every college has in state and out of state tuition, locals get huge discounts on seasons passes at ski areas, and places like Disney, out of state hunting permits are much more expensive, as just a few examples. Tourists pay more everywhere. Sometimes it's just a little less obvious is all. As far as smiles go, when I walk around some parts of Thailand it amazes me that ANYONE can smile in a hot , dirty, smelly, dog barking enviorment, try going to the same kind of place in the usa and see how many smiles you see. Thai people seem much more content with what they have ... not withstanding the upcoming red rally ! lol .... and content people are just easier to be around.

This is the most intelligent statement this thread!

I first came to Thailand at age 35 in 1971. serving with the U.S. Army. I had already been posted to 6 other Asian countries, but found Thailand far superior to any of the other postings and after living in Pattaya (yes it was a nice place to live 39 years ago), for a year while working at U-Tapao RTNAB and in Sriracha, I decided Thailand would be where I wanted to retire eventually, so I geared my life towards that goal.

On my 30th trip to Thailand, I met and later married my present (Thai) wife. We lived in the United States (San Antonio Texas and Yuma Arizona) for 10 years and she became an American citizen, but we both longed to return to Thailand. On my 36th trip to Thailand in 2005, we just quit splitting our year between America and Thailand and moved permanently to Chiayaphum.

I bought land, built a huge home, and spent everyday amongst the local Isaan people, which I've come to believe are the greatest clan/group/tribe of people in the world.

They have in all cases treated me better than anyone in any of the 39 countries I've lived or worked in or visited. They ARE the kindest, most wonderful people I've ever met.

In 2007, for my own selfish reasons (so I could be in Bangkok and enjoy daily movies, shopping malls, farang restaurants etc.) my wife and I moved to an apartment near Lumpini Park. Our complex consists of about 240 apartments, and all but 15 are occupied by Thai neighbors. I get on better with all my Thai neighbors than most of the farang neighbors. Many are Isaan btw.

I dearly love this country, and yes, for me it is still the Land of Smiles. I have always treated each and every person I meet with respect, and in return have never been treated poorly, or harshly, excepting in Europe and America on occasion.

I find the people of Asia in general so much easier to blend in with than Americans or Europeans. Maybe it's just me, or maybe for once I am totally correct in my belief.

Ken Bower

U.S. Army retired

Living in full retirement in Thailand

Planning never to leave this country again (since 2005).

You are totally correct~!

I wonder how many Farangs would give a genuine smile if they had to serve and put up with the typical Farang that is in Pattaya and Bangkok around Nana and places like that, If it is so bad in Thailand why are you here, I wonder how good it is back in your own country, I find you normaly get back what you give,, maybe it is not them but you, I have been here for a long time now and have no problems apart from the normal rip off you get in any country in the world, it is up to you to look out for that, it happens in your own country just the same, I have travelled to most cites in the north of Thailand , East and West, and lived in many cities for a while and in the main get treated very well and with respect, I alway show respect and get it back in return in most cases, not all the time, but is the same anywhere.

I'd never been to asia before. I have never left since I arrived. I like it. It is far from flawless, but then so am I, so its a good fit.

Happy people will be happy anywhere, whinging moaners would find fault with paradise. Its the way of the world.

I like a good whinge generally cos people find ways to remind you how happy you actually are!

I hear what you are saying, but the reality is that nice honest people like this lady are unfortunately tarred with the brush as their dishonest countrymen. She mentioned farangs, as in plural. Therefore, it's not the odd paranoid foreigner. Surely then there is a degree of a people earning this reputation?

No i don't think they have to put up wth a lot from us. You reap what you sow. I am aware i am generalising and i do think it's a shame for people like this lady, but it would be simply ridiculous to think that there isn't a big reason why there is this reaction.