Bupa Heath Insurance

geoffphuket

I have used BUPA for 13 years, continuously. I am now 70 years old and I have recently received my renewal notice for my policy which expires at the end of this month. When I joined BUPA, I was told that, because I was joining at 57 years old, I could renew this insurance for life.

However, my renewal notice shows an endorsement that states (BUPA's English, not mine) "Please kindly be informed that this is your last eligible renewal year due to the age at the next renewal year (sic) will fall into one of the following criteria :

1. The maximum age for renewal
  2. The maximum age for Medical Evacuation & Repatriation benefit

So much for BUPA's initial assurance.

I will check this out tomorrow at the local BUPA office.

I have used BUPA for 13 years, continuously. I am now 70 years old and I have recently received my renewal notice for my policy which expires at the end of this month. When I joined BUPA, I was told that, because I was joining at 57 years old, I could renew this insurance for life.

However, my renewal notice shows an endorsement that states (BUPA's English, not mine) "Please kindly be informed that this is your last eligible renewal year due to the age at the next renewal year (sic) will fall into one of the following criteria :

1. The maximum age for renewal
  2. The maximum age for Medical Evacuation & Repatriation benefit

So much for BUPA's initial assurance.

I will check this out tomorrow at the local BUPA office.

Did you check your policy??

• 2 weeks later...

every year i get my renewal for health insurance

every year it goes up exactly 10% - imagine if the cost of living went up 10% per year

it is via the expats pattaya and is AA insurance

so any new alternatives - its the lowest health offer just accident and hospital

just enough

to patch me up and get me on a plane back home

then back again age 56

• 1 month later...

I sometimes wonder if some people have taken the time to read the English language policy they are considering. With regards to Mr. "meand": He is misinformed regarding Mr. "op's" claim that you need to be covered for 2 years before an insurance company will pay claims. This is not true. I've read my health insurance policy, I've made claims and not had any run around. Both BUPA and Thaivivat cover motorcycle accidents. The wording that causes lots of concern is under the Personal Accident benefits of each policy. BUPA only pays 50% of the sum insured if a customer is injured or dismembered or dies by motorcycle accident. The medical costs are always fully covered 100%.

It's rough for people who apply for insurance at an older age, however Both BUPA and Thaivivat offer renewal for life if you join before the age of 61. Be aware that BUPA and Thaivivat cover medical claims at ALL HOSPITALS IN THAILAND and most countries around the world. They have contractual agreements for claims procedures at approx 200 private hospitals around Thailand, but you can still use the facilities of the government hospitals which in many cases are better equipped and have the same qualified doctors.

The post by Canopus1969 caught my eye as maybe I was not looking at all the possible to ways to cover my family. However ACS insurance by Allianz. I just checked on this and find out it is an international insurance, group scheme. It should cover you at the same hospitals as BUPA or Thaivivat. The premium is also much more expensive than BUPA or Thaivivat. ACS has two main types of plans, you can choose from 500,000 or 1 million USD cover. This is more than BUPA or Thaivivat.............it is obviously going to cost more to offer higher levels of cover..........if someone is stating ACS is cheaper, they are dreaming or they perhaps they are not in my age bracket. Good luck for them if that cover costs less than BUPA Platinum. You can meet face to face with a native English speaking insurance broker, you can read the English language policies prior to spending any money and in my case an experienced licensed broker explained in writing in great detail any questions and concerns I had prior to selecting a health insurance company.

Interesting as I have just checked this ACS/Allianz. Example BUPA 41 to 45 is 39,000 Baht and ACS 22,000 Baht. BUPA 56 to 60 is 67,000 Baht and ACS is 44,00 Baht. And those figures are for BUPA's cover of only 5m Baht where ACS/Allianz is 15m Baht which is far more realistic in this day and age. Please explain how you can say : if someone is stating ACS is cheaper, they are dreaming or they perhaps they are not in my age bracket - so just how old are you ?

Another more worry point is that BUPA stops showing premiums at 65 where at least ACS/Allianz shows to a more realistic 75 !

Where did you find the ACS/Allianz premium information? i've checked their website and don't see anything?

every year i get my renewal for health insurance

every year it goes up exactly 10% - imagine if the cost of living went up 10% per year

I agree it really does hurt this 10% a year....

But I would also add that the last three years in the USA my health Insurance went up exactly 10% per year.

So it may not be Thailand specific ......

An exact 10% increase each year is hardly the most subtle approach to underwriting but you don't need to be Einstein to realise that at some point it would reach a stage where it would be not viable to renew.

This is exactly what insurance companies want. They don't want older clients who are more likely to have a serious illness.

It's sad that some older people who have spent much of their retirement are effectively forced back to their home countries as they cannot get the health cover they require here.

On another matter, please remember to compare policies and don't just take the cheapest option. You get what you pay for when you buy insurance.