Chiangmai Travel Info

nisha0901

Guys ...needed some info abt travel to ChiangMai by train ..from bkk

1) are the tickets easily available ? and is a 1st class sleeper reservation a comfortable journey along with toddlers and kids

2) which area would be the best place to book a resort ...close to the airport ? close to the night bazar or the main city ? any recomendations ?

3) whats must see and must do in chiangmai ?

thanx in advance !! :)

I've not travelled by train from bangkok-chiang mai but I have the other way (chiang mai-bangkok).

tbh, I wouldn't recommend it.

I paid for 'first class' sleeper which was - iirc - approx 1200THB. I thought it was a bit expensive but imagined the cost must include food/drinks etc.....schoolboy error.....I should've checked that.

got on the train late afternoon in chiang mai, was shown to my cabin then offered cartons of orange juice - great, I thought, until I realised they were charging for them!! was 40THB each iirc for something that would've been approx 10THB in 7/11.

not too long after that I was handed a menu - I hadn't ate too much as I thought for 1200THB I would be well fed on the train. wrong again - charged for what can only be described as 5hite food.

on top of that, the aircon was on full blast and the attendant advised that it could not be controlled.

I had my own cabin which was clean enough but not exactly what I had in mind for 'first class'.

all in all, not something I would be hurrying to do again. flights to/from chiang mai can be bought for the price I paid for that train.

other than that, chiang mai itself would probably be good for a family. the food/drinks/accom etc was very reasonable iirc. not quite my cup of tea - I prefer a bit of action - but seems very relaxing if that's your thing.

Train - 2nd class A/C is fine for most people.

Food is expensive, take your own food and drink.

Book early to be sure of being together and getting an up and down berth - internet booking is working (2nd class only). Choose the Thai option and then you get the internet booking with English option.

Don't ask why you can't get to it from the English pages! If you have to ask questions like that then you'd be better flying.

Price is about 800 baht, for that you get a bed for the night as well as the transport.