Closest Call Yet

visions

Was driving to work this morning, on an open road area of Sukhumvit towards Pattaya. Coming towards me, a Guy pulled out to pass the car in front, giving me a head-on situation, Happens frequently.

I pulled to the left so room for him...then a F...ing idiot decided to pass the passing car...3 cars wide heading towards me at a closing speed in excess of 200kph, and nowhere for me to go.

The front mudguard of the 3rd car clipped my wing mirror, and my shoulder nicely smashed off the wing-mirror of the pickup. I shudder to think what another 1 cm closer would have done to me. My mirror is about 1cm wider than the bars so if he had clipped my right bar it would have been all over for me. Sure wouldnt be writing this anyway!!

I got a small cut on the shoulder but nothing more. Sooooo lucky!! The driver, of course, never stopped. maniac!

Yes, lucky for that one cm to make it through, and lucky nobody pulled up and shot you for breaking their precious wing-mirror with your shoulder. There seem to be quite a few drivers that expect to be able to pass traffic when it's only a motorcycle approaching from the other direction. The most memorable one I had was on the way back from Pong Nam Ron on highway 317 and I was approaching a bridge on the single lane country road, when some madman pulled out to overtake across the bridge. I just managed to stop a few metres before the bridge otherwise my choices would have been over the bank and into the river, or head on with an pickup doing around 150 or so.

Time you bought yourself a lottery ticket.

Sounds like a close one. Glad you emerged relatively unscathed.

My worst fear is always encountering 2 idiots at the same time. One idiot can normally be avoided, but I've had a couple of incidents where someone coming towards me has pulled out to overtake forcing me onto the verge of the left hand lane, only for Somchai to pull out of a side road and start driving up the wrong side of the road towards me.

Pretty scary stuff.

That is a very scary story. Stay here for any amount of time, and everyone gets a few stories like this. The double pass maneuver is something you have to see to believe. I really don't understand how Thai's can function at all on the roads here the way they drive. How do they avoid getting in more accidents than they do? :) How is their not a pile of wreckage at every intersection?

On the way home on the enduro late the other night, hardly a vehicle on the 4-lane road, I round a gentle corner/rise doing 80-90 as is more than reasonable, and suddenly in front of me a Thai guy has pulled out to the middle of my lanes perpendicular to my travel, straddling the white line with his bike which divides the two lanes going my direction. He is motionless, completely blocking my way, no way I can stop in time, and he is looking the other way at oncoming traffic. I'm thinking he is likely to bolt out the rest of the way at any second in order to go the other way. So the only choice I have is to press down hard on the right hand grip and lean as far over to the right as I can, going into oncoming lanes so that if he does suddenly punch it I will still hopefully have enough room to avoid him, and somehow avoid oncoming traffic. I remember having a strange thought as this happened. In that split second I for some reason chose not to honk for fear it would make his next action more unpredictable, like make him punch it right into my new line of travel. Well he did start out towards me but managed to not hit me. I thought I was a goner for sure.

In motorcycle school they teach us to visually clear each lane, then establish after clearing ALL lanes. In Thailand, Thai's (and plenty of assimilated farangs) will sometimes clear a lane, but then they will immediately establish in each lane regardless. That is exactly what this guy did. Pulled right across the lanes and stop. Idiot.

Hi ScubaBuddha , I had a similar problem on Tuesday with a ute and trailer parked in a suburban street. Some Nimrod talking on the mobile phone decides to turn right into a driveway without looking. Luckily I was only doing 50kph and I screeched to a stop with my front wheel right next to the drivers door. So I leaned over and said, rather loudly "You <deleted>#king idiot, are you trying to kill me" I got a quick sorry and he reversed back out of the way. I wonder what the person on the other end of the phone was thinking!

PS: No time for the standard horn or the air horn or flashing the lights!

Q: Does anyone ever have time for that stuff?

The bus drivers in Issan are legendary for their prowess at guiding 5 tonnes of killing machine knowing that they own the entire road. I've had it happen several times on the out of Nong Bua Lam Phu that I've crested a hill to discover that the other lane holds a relatively slow-moving bus and my lane has a duplicate bus overtaking by about 2 k/h.

The last time it happened, when they popped into sight, there was no where to go. I suppose I could have tried to thread the needle ala Ghost Rider, but I'd probably end up as a Thai ghost, not something I aspire to. So it was cram on the ABS, and run off the shoulder at the last possible moment to try to maintain momentum to get me back up off the gravel and into the road.

It's only a matter of time before someone gets splatted, and it's no comfort to know the driver will run away and be holed up with rellies for years.

But I'm really glad for you that you didn't make the stats list!

Keepin' it upright and between the lines...

Wow you are lucky. My advice to all is ride slow, very slow. There are just too many unpredictable obstacles here that don't allow any time for reaction. In addition, no Thai driver (bus, truck, car, other motorbike) expects any motorcycle to be traveling towards them at >100kmh, so judgement about space and distance when they see you coming is truly F**ked. Save the speed for the track.

Wow you are lucky. My advice to all is ride slow, very slow. There are just too many unpredictable obstacles here that don't allow any time for reaction. In addition, no Thai driver (bus, truck, car, other motorbike) expects any motorcycle to be traveling towards them at >100kmh, so judgement about space and distance when they see you coming is truly F**ked. Save the speed for the track.

They drive exactly the same up here in CNX in their pickups..must be a penis size thing !

Wow you are lucky. My advice to all is ride slow, very slow

Then the pickups will get you from behind because you are in their path !!

I agree 100% with that comment. I find it MUCH safer to drive the same speed as the average car. That way any "happenings" actually are slow happenings. Anyone not having experienced that wont understand.

Also I try pick a "hole" in the traffic and drive in that giving me more space and time to anylise the traffic which is a constant radar thing in my brain. Of course the crazy speedsters still overtake, often dangerously, but I have the time and space to avoid. My eyes are constantly checking mirrors.

In over 100,000 km riding bikes in Thailand this is the closest I have been to "not being around" due I consider to always "defensive" driving techniques.

But increased km also increases the possibility/probability of eventually having an accident. But then never venturing into "life" isnt much fun either.

Here in Singapore I got a rude shock when I first attended motorcycle courses - everyone seemed to ride as fast as they can once the lessons took us on the public roads.

When I got my license to ride after 3 months, I sort of realised why:

It's much safer to be the shepherd than to be one of the sheep waiting to be cut asunder by inconsiderate drivers. Or morons who think motorcycle territory solely exists within the little 1 meter space between car lanes.

So having ridden for 6+ years, all I can say is "0-100kph in 5 seconds". At least, getting up to a reasonable cruise velocity faster than everyone else means I don't have to bother about indecisive road users suddenly changing lanes right in my line of travel. Those who think I'm racing them merely end up in interesting situations such as riding into the back end of a bus...

And... ride like the taxi drivers. They cut up everyone else on the road like second nature so once I mastered their thinking, it's more or less cut everyone else before they cut you!

Edited by Kalyan

Here in Singapore I got a rude shock when I first attended motorcycle courses - everyone seemed to ride as fast as they can once the lessons took us on the public roads.

It's much safer to be the shepherd than to be one of the sheep waiting to be cut asunder by inconsiderate drivers. Or morons who think motorcycle territory solely exists within the little 1 meter space between car lanes.

So having ridden for 6+ years, all I can say is "0-100kph in 5 seconds". At least, getting up to a reasonable cruise velocity faster than everyone else means I don't have to bother about indecisive road users suddenly changing lanes right in my line of travel. Those who think I'm racing them merely end up in interesting situations such as riding into the back end of a bus...

And... ride like the taxi drivers. They cut up everyone else on the road like second nature so once I mastered their thinking, it's more or less cut everyone else before they cut you!

As much as it would seem PC to advocate 'defensive' riding, it has proven wise to adapt my own style to a more 'offensive' style, and as you mention, bring able to leave the cars behind at the lights does allow one to find some space on the open road before the four-wheeled onslaught begins.

The one caution I must add though, is to always make sure to look both ways before taking off when the light turns green, because half the time, there'll be some traffic crossing late on the red. Once you're past the crossroads however, that extra acceleration that a decent bike has does tend to allow one to be the shepherd and not one of the sheep in the flock.

As much as it would seem PC to advocate 'defensive' riding, it has proven wise to adapt my own style to a more 'offensive' style, and as you mention, bring able to leave the cars behind at the lights does allow one to find some space on the open road before the four-wheeled onslaught begins.

The one caution I must add though, is to always make sure to look both ways before taking off when the light turns green, because half the time, there'll be some traffic crossing late on the red. Once you're past the crossroads however, that extra acceleration that a decent bike has does tend to allow one to be the shepherd and not one of the sheep in the flock.

Quite agree.

Always look each way before setting off.....sorry launching....from the lights. Same goes for approaching lights.

Just that it is green dont mean that you are safe, so much to look for.....

I believe that slow bikes are more of a hazard and can be a danger on the road.

I like the term offensive riding,,,,the fact that my Street Triple has race cans adds to the offense also.

I have a thai uncle, he's a good solid bike rider, its how he makes money & he never goes out without the full kit of safety gear. His current bike has over 300,000km logged on it and 95% of that is in Bangkok. I've been on rides with him, he takes no unneccesary risks & has good riding skills.

The other week he was riding to work, just like he does everyday, HOWEVER this day a pedestrain jumped a concrete barrier at the roads edge and landed on the road directly in front of him, there was only a few metres in it & despite the uncle trying to avoid this man, his next recollection is waking up in hosptial in severe pain. The pedestrain is dead. He has numerous injuries & his motorcycle is wrecked, the actual frame of the bike being bent/warped. His helmet & other safety gear probably saved his life.

Anyway, despite the Pedestrian actions the Police deem the uncle to be at fault for the accident, he has killed a man.....& naturally he has to pay for that. On top of that he has significant injuries, including the possible loss of an arm, the hospital costs, costs of ongoing physio etc & to associated costs with replacing the motorcycle. Insurance has covered some but not all of these costs. He cannot work, given his injuries are too serious for him to get back on his motorcycle.

Anyway, thats his closest call, too close for my liking, next week Im going in to have surgery, I'm having 3 extra eyes installed in my forehead and a couple into the back of my head, just for good measure. There seems to be no shortage of idiots out there, they come at you from all directions, left, right, front, behind and above. I guess they'll be appearing out of man hole covers or drains next. :)

Glad ur okay, visions.

Sorry to hear about your Thai uncle neverdie -hope he recovers.

I ride very 'offensively' for many of the reasons stated. I'm aware of the rule the bigger the vehicle the more right of way that seems to be in effect but I can't abide the 4-wheel bullying that goes on as bikes veer left to make way for a pick-up pulling into their lane without as much as a signal and potentially the bikers putting themselves in danger. Nearly got me milled however coming back from work tonight. Big black lexus trying to force me to give way by sandwiching me as I was splitting a lane on congested Ratchada. He actually made contact with my front tyre. I horsed on expecting him to pull back and the same thing happened again. Luckily it wasn't at any great speed as the traffic was heavy but it was fast enough to get the adrenalin going. After a bit of a shouting match I rode off. No damage to the me or the bike and unfortunately no damage to him as I could do without any hassles but it is only a few months (3) since an idiot came out of nowhere in Sangkhlaburi and went straight into me on his scooter on the wrong side of the road, in a village, at about 80kph. I swear I'm about to start preemptive strikes!

Very scary when you are on a bike and facing an idiot overtaking on the piece of road you have to use. Glad you escaped without serious consequenses. When I rode a bike here I carried a few stones in a suitable container easily reachable. Surprising what a small stone can do at clost to 120 mph. And no, I do not care what happened to the idiot in the oncoming car.

On the other hand when I am in a car, it is ennerving with bikes riding on the verge and approaching a slower bike. The driver, be it thai or farang, usually just veers out in front of me to overtake the slower bike. Without looking in their mirror of course. One day I won't have any room to avoid him. I just recalled an incident when a bike rider intended to overtake a slower bike and veered out. But my truck was already there. >One would think he would have seen it beside him. He bumped right into my side but managed to stay upright but was very close to dropping it as saw in the mirror.

overtake a slower bike and veered out

Got to watch out for slow riders down south as some of them are very evil. The situation here is strangely reversed; fast bikes always keep a safe distance and a wary eye on the slow-movers as they're more prone to veer suddenly or worse, jam their brakes for no reason in the middle of an empty road.

It's a bit of Singaporean psychology I guess - fast riders & drivers are able to plan ahead and keep well clear of potential hazards, or are just trying to get from A - B as soon as humanly possible. Here, it's safer to draft behind a car going at 130+kph (I lead the car in cutting across lanes and he then cleans the air in front of me), than to ride at 70kph waiting to be run down by bike-hating drivers.

Slow movers (from observation) tend to be the indecisive ones or are out to cause trouble - in an accident the victim of a rear end collision is always branded the "good guy" and the one that collided from behind "not keeping a safe distance", even if the so-called "victim" was the one at fault from emergency braking in the middle of a highway...

The above is of course applicable only to Singapore roads, where most locally registered motorcycles today are almost always seen running at 90+kph, unless caught running in new engines or tyres.

One day I won't have any room to avoid him. I just recalled an incident when a bike rider intended to overtake a slower bike and veered out. But my truck was already there.

I got goosebumps the other day as I was weaving between cars in a massive jam - a Suzuki superbike swerved to overtake me (I was riding cautiously), hopping over to the fast lane. He recovered to split-lane beside a car on the fast lane moving at about 30kph... unfortunately the rider gunned the throttle a bit too early and roughly and due to the wet road surface, oversteered and would fall over if not for his back end slapping against the car, bouncing him back to a straight trajectory.

The Suzuki's plastic fender was noticeably flexing under the impact and no visible damage was done to both vehicles.

It it strike me there and then that keeping a small Yamaha cub for "Thai-style" close quarters duty in rush hours and city centre roads is a good idea. But for some reason I decided to sell off the (old and aging) cub and take over a freshly overhauled Phantom at the shop... 6 years of weaving between traffic is enough, I guess :)

Edited by Kalyan

Here, it's safer to draft behind a car going at 130+kph (I lead the car in cutting across lanes and he then cleans the air in front of me), than to ride at 70kph waiting to be run down by bike-hating drivers.

Yeah! Drafting! That's the safest way for a motorbike to get some respect on Thai roads, when you can. Draft along behind a pickup at a good pace, and woirk with them, to pull into the lanes ahead of the time they need to, and give them a wave and an okay sign when one of you pulls over and heads off in another direction. It really is a higher echelon of courteous driving when a bike and a pickup can work together on the roads and share a yippie-kaye-yaye farewell at the end of a good long run.

Here, it's safer to draft behind a car going at 130+kph (I lead the car in cutting across lanes and he then cleans the air in front of me), than to ride at 70kph waiting to be run down by bike-hating drivers.

Yeah! Drafting! That's the safest way for a motorbike to get some respect on Thai roads, when you can. Draft along behind a pickup at a good pace, and woirk with them, to pull into the lanes ahead of the time they need to, and give them a wave and an okay sign when one of you pulls over and heads off in another direction. It really is a higher echelon of courteous driving when a bike and a pickup can work together on the roads and share a yippie-kaye-yaye farewell at the end of a good long run.

<deleted>?

<deleted>?

Never mind ND. I'm just drunk and waxing lyrical from a Bruce Willis movie or something. I'd be off to bed in five minutes if there wasn't one of the shittiest yankee dog movies on Star tonight. Sometimes this forum can get a bit crappy as far as entertainment goes, but it's never as sad as the depths Marley & Me fall to.

. I guess they'll be appearing out of man hole covers or drains next. :)

Glad ur okay, visions.

Ummm... man hole covers (joking) now days they are called "access hole covers" Being politically more correct.

Actully I still shake when I think about how close I was to being swept up in a bag. Going home that night...would u believe....no less than 6 head-on overtakings......on the same stretch of road!! As I said I find that normal thai driving....just unusual to get a third wide although I do know (only too well now) that it can and does happen.

Ive done a couple of hundred KM since the close call and not deterred me but maybe sharpened my perception of "what ifs" further.

Ummm... man hole covers (joking) now days they are called "access hole covers" Being politically more correct.

Well, what a relief it is to hear that they haven't decided to call then woman-hole covers, because that might not have the desired connotations. :)

Well, what a relief it is to hear that they haven't decided to call then woman-hole covers, because that might not have the desired connotations. :D

:)

:)

I mean, golly I shudder to think of my little sister ever having to crawl down one of those ladders into the dirty gutter beneath the street to do some maintenance in clearing up some blocked plumbing, and all that, but really, that crappy laborador movie has finally finished on Star cable so I might logout and take my chances with whatever propaganda they plan on feeding us next, so good night and good fun and good dreams and see you tomorrow.

:D