Non-immigrant, Single Entry Or Multiple Entry?

So I'll be staying in Thailand for 6 months to "study" Muay Thai and I was wondering do I have to send in a check for Single Entry ($65) or 1 year Multiple Entry ($175). Obviously there is a huge price difference and I won't be going anywhere and will be staying in Chiang Mai the whole time. Can't I just stay there for 3 months (the 90 days limit) and extend within the country?

Thank you.

If you are getting an Education Visa for this the funds are paid to your consulate when they make the visa for you in your home country. Are you thinking to arrive here without a visa and get a 60 day tourist visa? Have you visited the Thai Embassy online to see the requirements for a visa for Thailand?

I think the OP is talking about his Thailand Visa, which he is talking of the cost of the Visa through a Consulate or Embassy in the U.S.

If that is the case, a six (6), 180 day Visa with a 90 day validity is not renewed, you are required to leave the country and return, (a 1 day event) then you simply are stamped into Thailand by Immigration at the border and utilized the remaining 90 days. In either case both Visa's require re-entry visa's. The cost is different because with the 6 month you only require one re-entry and with the 1 year visa will require a multi re-entry as you must do this 4 times (exit and entry) to get full use of the 1 year visa.

You will not be able to extend a ED-visa in Thailand, unless the school is officially recognized. Inquire first with the school if they can get you an extension of stay from immigration. If not you will need a multiple or a double entry tourist visa.

Each entry will be for 60 days, but can be extended with 30 days. So you can get almost 180 days out of it and would have to leave Thailand 1 time. Extra costs will be 2 times 1,900 baht for the extension and the cost for 1 trip to the border and a visa for the country you will enter from Thailand.

Note that visa's must be used before a given date, apply as late as possible.

First of all, thanks to everyone who replied.

And yes I did get a letter from the gym I will be staying at stating that I will be staying there for 6 months starting ____ and ending ____.

And I am still a little confused (sorry), so if I do have this letter, that only means I only need to pay for the single entry and not the 1 year multiple entry right?

Just want to be 100% sure before I send the VISA application, thanks.

As said, if you ask for a single entry you will need to make sure the school can help you get an extension of stay from immigration. You will have to ask the school about that.

If they can't help you with that, you either ask for a multiple Ed-visa or a duble entry tourist visa, The last one would give you almost 180 days, with two extension (each costing 1,900 baht) and 1 border run.

Edit:

The multiple would also require 1 border run.