Thai And English Words That Sound The Same

cognos

Terdsak (Thai man's name: means "successful." pronounced "Turd Sack")

Rat (Woman's name: usually spelled "Rath" in English letters but pronounced like the rodent).

Keep - kep

Big C - Big C (don't try "C Yai")

Edited by toptuan

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a joke? Many of these 'Thai' words are not even legitimate loan-words, just 'farang talk.' 'Screwdriver, airport, sensitive, idiot, plan, joke, idea, cholesterol', etc. all have common and frequently used 'real Thai' counterparts. This may be somebody's idea of fun, but not for anybody who wants to really learn Thai. More interesting to me are Sanskrit-derived words which- via Greek or Latin- may retain a related meaning in English, such as 'pawn' or my favorite, 'eke.'

absolutely right.

- does anyone really believe that "joke" is the same in both English and Thai? :D We've all experienced the merry farang in a bar, gathering admiration from Thais joining in his "joke"! :)

Is this a joke? Many of these 'Thai' words are not even legitimate loan-words, just 'farang talk.' 'Screwdriver, airport, sensitive, idiot, plan, joke, idea, cholesterol', etc. all have common and frequently used 'real Thai' counterparts. This may be somebody's idea of fun, but not for anybody who wants to really learn Thai. More interesting to me are Sanskrit-derived words which- via Greek or Latin- may retain a related meaning in English, such as 'pawn' or my favorite, 'eke.'

Hmmm.. show Thais a screwdriver and ask them what it called in Thai. You will be surprised. :)

What is Thai for "cholesterol"?

screwdriver = ไฃควง

(I have to get used to typing Thai. Maybe it's a good idea to take a typing course.)

Cholesterol will just be transcribed, as in many European languages as well.

what I love about these loanwords is that lots of thai's don't relise they are english words to start with.

leo-leo

why didn't you say U-Turn?

I didn't think you'd understand that word.

Yes, most of the word mentioned in this thread are loan words from English.

Interesting are such words a บุรี which is the same a bourgh in English, i.e. the last syllible of many cities. Same root, but not a loan word.

Edited by tombkk

Ok :)

This is the most spoken word in the world - no surprise that Thailand is not an exception.

We got an expat here who most of Thai agreed that he has the most difficult accent. (Mind you, he's a standard British accent but people here might be more familiar with American accent.) When he started, many people walked off scratching their head after talking to him and asked "What the h_ll อะไข่ means?". He was saying "OK". :D

And the same pronunciation as "OK" in Spanish: "O que?" means "Or what?" Had a misunderstanding in Spain one day about that.

โอน - own

As in ทะเบียนโอน - Tabien Own.

It really means you can change the name, but it kind of means you can own it if you can change the name, right? :)

โอน means "to transfer". It doesn't mean "to own", even though it sounds the same. This is what we what we call "false friends" in the translation business.

อัตโนมัติ (at - ta -noo -mat)

automatic

(these words don't have the same root)

I am not entirely sure whether you mean this or are trying to pull our legs.

Saobao for Walkman (Sound-About) was

automatic

Saobao for Walkman (Sound-About) was a word I had to learn - Thai people thought it was English.

Atonomat falls into the same category.

Edited by tombkk

โอน - own

As in ทะเบียนโอน - Tabien Own.

It really means you can change the name, but it kind of means you can own it if you can change the name, right? :)

โอน means "to transfer". It doesn't mean "to own", even though it sounds the same. This is what we what we call "false friends" in the translation business.

thanks for that tit bit of info... :D

automatic

Saobao for Walkman (Sound-About) was a word I had to learn - Thai people thought it was English.

The RID gives a Pali etymology for the noun "อัตโนมัติ"; {Pali: อตฺตโน ว่า ของตน + มติ ว่า ความเห็น}

automatic

The RID gives a Pali etymology for the noun "อัตโนมัติ"; {Pali: อตฺตโน ว่า ของตน + มติ ว่า ความเห็น}

Mmmmm, looks like my teacher was right after all. It first thought the same as tombkk.

Edited by kriswillems

It's a contrived substitute to 'automatic', and close enough to readily substitute for it in sound.

automatic

Interesting, I didn't know that.

Interesting indeed. I thought it was Thais' best attempt to copy the sound.

I wonder if it could be traced back further to Indo-European language...

Interesting indeed. I thought it was Thais' best attempt to copy the sound.

I wonder if it could be traced back further to Indo-European language...

I'm not a linguist (hence my rusty Pali), but I find this interesting. I was once told (by a linguist) that the words "dentist" and "tantaphaet" (excuse my not writing Thai, but my spelling s*cks) have the same root. At least the first syllable does. This falls under the OP's category.