Moving Help Question

Ark

:o

Moving to Thailand soon to be with wifie of 4 years and struck a couple of problems

1 Wife went back 3 months ago while I vlose up here in Aus. When she came to Auds 14 years ago she brought Bhudda with her. Typically did not declare out of Thailand or into Aus. Left it here with me to bring over. Have contacted Aus Thai consulate - referred to Dept of Fine Arts but their website is either under construction or in Thai. Contacted Thai customs by email but no reply.

Any ideas guys???

2 Want to bring 6 months supply Chollesterol tablet Lipitor and blood pressure Atacand. Have Drs letter etc but sme problem with Thai Food /Drug Agency.

Any ideas or is it better to give up and buy in Chiang Mai. Costs anyone???

Thanks

Ark

Moving to Thailand soon to be with wifie of 4 years and struck a couple of problems

1 Wife went back 3 months ago while I vlose up here in Aus. When she came to Auds 14 years ago she brought Bhudda with her. Typically did not declare out of Thailand or into Aus. Left it here with me to bring over. Have contacted Aus Thai consulate - referred to Dept of Fine Arts but their website is either under construction or in Thai. Contacted Thai customs by email but no reply.

Any ideas guys???

2 Want to bring 6 months supply Chollesterol tablet Lipitor and blood pressure Atacand. Have Drs letter etc but sme problem with Thai Food /Drug Agency.

Thanks

Ark

Any ideas guys???

Thanks

Ark

Any ideas guys???

Thanks

Ark

Sorry. Thought it was clear to me but I know what thought thought.

1 I reviewed what is allowed to be taken to Thailand when I move overand came across the statement that Bhuddas are not allowed to be taken in.

I queried the Australian Thai consulate who said that this was the case. I explained that it was the Bhudda that was blessed in the temple when my wife was born and I was going to take it over to her when I moved over.

He questioned if it had been declared at Thailand when she left and declared at Australia when she arrived (14 years ago). Told him no. He asked about the size (140mm high) and said that I would have to get a permit from the Ministry or Department of Fine Arts.

I don't want to be tossd out before I even get into Thailand but I told my wife I would bring it over and my testicles and I have been attached to each other for quite a while and I don't want that to change.

Clearer??

ARK

Extract from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Do's and Don'ts

Instruction on the Export of Antiquities or Buddha Images from the Kingdom of Thailand

1. Buddha images, Bodhisattva images or related fragments, part of ancient monuments and prehistoric objects, are forbidden to be taken out of the Kingdom. Newly cast Buddha images in complete condition can be exported for worship, cultural exchange or educational purposes with licenses issued by the Fine Arts Department. Not more than 5 pieces per person shall be allowed.

(more information contact to 0 2628 5032)

2. Reproductions of antiquities can also be exported with licenses.

3. Procedures to obtain a license for export of antiquities or Buddha images:

3.1 The following documents ahould be produced together with the application form :

(a) two copies (3x5 inches) of front view photograph of the object(s)

(:o a photocopy of the applicant's passport (in case of export of Buddha images the photocopy of passport must be certified as true copy by the related Embassy or Consulate in Thailand.)

3.2 Bring the object(s) and the documents to apply for a license at any of the following places:

(a) Office of Archaeology and National Museums, 81/1 Si Ayutthaya Road, Theves, Dusit, Bangkok, Tel: 0 2628 5032

(:D Chiang Mai National Museum, Superhighway Road, Amphoe Muang, Chiang Mai, Tel : (053) 221-308

© Songkhla National Museum, 13/1 Jana Road, Tambon Bohyang, Amphoe Muang, Songkhla, Tel : (074) 311-728, 311-881

(d) Thalang National Museum, Tambon Si Sunthorn, Amphoe Thalang, Phuket, Tel : (076) 311-426

3.3 Please allow 4 working days for license issuing process.

Obviously the above is for exporting Buddah images............i cant see a problem with you importing them.

You do have a problem by the sound of it, to be honest I thought the only limitations were taking them out of the Kingdom not returning them. Your best advice on matters pertaining to Buddhism will come from Sabajai he may know a way around it, a letter from the Abbot in your area perhaps, PM him or post in the Buddism section, only mention the Buddha image part.

I take it you read the part about medicines in that link.

You do have a problem by the sound of it, to be honest I thought the only limitations were taking them out of the Kingdom not returning them.

bronco on the link you posted.......the limatation refers to objects of the "cultural heritage" of Australia.........my biggest worry would not be taking the buddah out of Oz but being asked at Customs here how you took it out of Thailand in the first place. As you say Sabajai may know the "in's and outs" better. You could try posting in the Buddhism forum they may know.

I would just take the Buddha and not worry that much.

I find it unlikely that you would be stopped for bringing a Buddha into Thailand if you dont make a fuzz about it yourself. It is the plundering of Thailand's cultural assets that has brought about the regulations for taking them out of Thailand.

Of course I may be wrong, I am just trying to apply logic.

The same thing applies to medication. With your doctor's papers explaining the wherefores you should be fine.

Dress in ironed shirt and shorts, be humble, keep your voice down and smile. Goes a lot longer than you would imagine.

Edited by meadish_sweetball

You do have a problem by the sound of it, to be honest I thought the only limitations were taking them out of the Kingdom not returning them.

bronco on the link you posted.......the limatation refers to objects of the "cultural heritage" of Australia.........my biggest worry would not be taking the buddah out of Oz but being asked at Customs here how you took it out of Thailand in the first place. As you say Sabajai may know the "in's and outs" better. You could try posting in the Buddhism forum they may know.

the link I posted was more for the medication advice but contained general info on what can be legally taken out of Oz.

• 1 year later...

i did purchase today a rare standing up Buddha (wooden) it has an old tag with the department of fine arts thailand with the departments wax sealed stamp..the items number is 434912531 if anyone could help me that would be great