Thai PM To Visit Australia Despite Protests At Home

webfact

Thai PM to visit Australia despite protests at home

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva insisted Friday he would go ahead with a trip to Australia next week even though the visit coincides with mass anti-government rallies at home.

Supporters of deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra, known as "Red Shirts" because of their usual garb, are gathering in Bangkok on March 14 after a court ordered the seizure of most of Thaksin's 2.3-billion-dollar fortune.

Abhisit said he would carry on as planned with his March 13-17 trip to Australia despite the rallies, adding that he would assign Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban to oversee events at home.

"But I will closely monitor the situation," Abhisit said.

The military stepped in to oust Thaksin while he was out of the country attending the UN General Assembly in New York in September 2006.

Abhisit, who came to power in December 2008 after a court ruling drove Thaksin's allies from government, said authorities may still declare harsh security laws to deal with the protests.

Thailand's pro- and anti-Thaksin camps have both conducted destabilising street campaigns since the tycoon was ousted, with some of the demonstrations turning violent.

The Red Shirts say they expect up to 600,000 people to attend this month's rallies, with people starting to gather from around the country on March 12 before the main demonstration two days later.

Suthep, who is also in charge of national security, ruled out holding talks with Thaksin in a bid to halt the rallies.

"It's difficult to talk with him as he is completely angry," Suthep told reporters. "I think it's not appropriate (to hold talks) as they are putting the country and its future at risk for one person."

He said soldiers and police would man checkpoints in every province next week to search vehicles heading to Bangkok for weapons and to check that protesters were carrying Thai identification cards.

"Migrant workers have no right to participate, even as onlookers," he said, referring to an estimated three million workers mainly from Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos, on whom the government is tightening restrictions.

Suthep also warned Buddhist monks not to take part in the rally, after the Red Shirts said that up to 20,000 saffron-robed monks would join in.

Red Shirt riots in April derailed a major Asian summit and left two people dead.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-03-05

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Migrant workers and Monks not allowed to join the demo onlookers not allowed to onlook .....doesn't say anything about Farrang not being allowed to join the demo ....where do you get a red shirt from?!!!!!! :)

Hey buddy I have a few I can let you have cheap charily. :D

Migrant workers and Monks not allowed to join the demo onlookers not allowed to onlook .....doesn't say anything about Farrang not being allowed to join the demo ....where do you get a red shirt from?!!!!!! :)

Farangs must go topless

On a serious note, now its says 600 000 people while 24 hour ago it was 1 000 000 people

I have a bad feeling by the time the demonstration starts there will be more like 10 000 people and thats providing internet transfer from the middle east came in time

Farangs must go topless

Yes that way it will be easier to see where the blood is coming from. :D

PM to visit Australia despite mass rallies at home

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva insisted Friday he would go ahead with an official trip to Australia next week although the pro-Thaksin protesters will stage a mass rally next week.

Supporters of deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra, or red shirts are gathering in Bangkok on March 14. The mass rally is scheduled after the Supreme Court found him guilty of abuse of power and ordered the seizure of his Bt46 bn.

Abhisit said he would carry on as planned with his March 13-17 trip to Australia despite the rallies.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban would be assigned to oversee events at home. "But I will closely monitor the situation," Abhisit said.

The red shirts claimed they expect up to 600,000 people to attend the rallies, with people starting to gather from around the country on March 12 before the main demonstration two days later.

Meanwhile Suthep ruled out having peace talks with Thaksin in a bid to halt the rallies."It's difficult to talk with him as he is completely angry," Suthep told reporters. "I think it's not appropriate to hold talks as they are putting the country and its future at risk just for one person."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-05

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

It is times like these I wish UBC had better programming, it would solve a lot of problems if people had something to watch, besides it is hot in the sun. I don't even water plants till after 6. Oh BTW pink is all the rage. :)

I have been watching with interest how one side of the political divide has been characterizing the other side. The convenient catch-all descriptor of 'Amataya" being the side doing all the "characterizing, and trying to define the other side, namely the UDD, Red Shirt Democracy Movement and anyone having a good word to say about Thaksin. Even though they are the minority in an electoral sense, they got all the power, including that of the 'pen' and domestic media. So it is their characterization that is deluging the public space.

As opposed to debating all the individual tangents they fabricate, I watch with interest how they do it. This article encompasses most of their 'Characterization" which is focussed on two aspects :#1 - de-politicise the Red Shirts, by merely calling them "Red Shirts" Calling them the Red Shirt Democracy Movement galls them. #2 - discredit and mis-direct their motivation.

Calling them "Pro-Thaksin Red Shirts", and "supporters of Thaksin" or just Red Shirts as quoted from this article serves that purpose of de-politicising them. There is no reference to what is described in the UDD title, or any hint of this being a struggle to replace a non-elected Govt. with a democratically elected one.

Misdirecting their motives is accomplished by linking all these protests to the Thaksin court case. That has been trumpetted for the last month leading up to that court case when in fact the Red Shirt Democracy Movement hardly paid any attention. It didn't help this agenda that the Red Shirts did not act out as they had hoped, and thereby validating this motive mis-direction.

This article refers to this coming rally as the "Mass rally scheduled after..........Thaksin court decision" A blatant misdirection of motives. Never mind that it just doesn't make sense to suggest that over a million people are converging on BKK next weekend all incensed over Thaksin's money thing.

By tying these protests to Thaksin's financial court decision characterizes them as self-serving, greedy, money grubbing people. Recognizing the protests for what they are, to electorally regain Democratic values does not serve the Amataya well.

I note that the figure 600,000 is used. The Amataya's media should avoid using numbers when describing this Democracy Movement activities. Everyone knows coming from them it has no credibility. I might add that the million-plus participants in this rally are a load themselves. But add to that the fact they are coming in private vehicles, pick-up trucks etc. No buses. Between people and vehicles, it should be interesting.

Smart of Abhisit to leave for Australia. That doesn't impress the protesters though. It is common knowledge that it is the real power centers they want to influence.

Edited by AmmartBudsob

Welcome back Fewret.

Would be nice if the red shirts themselves could start referring to themselves as whatever you want us to call them. They'll have a hard time making it catch on otherwise.

Prey tell, what is the "Amataya's media" ? Is that something like "Yellow News" ?

Welcome back Fewret.

Would be nice if the red shirts themselves could start referring to themselves as whatever you want us to call them. They'll have a hard time making it catch on otherwise.

Prey tell, what is the "Amataya's media" ? Is that something like "Yellow News" ?

"royal servants" or "court officials"

Good move.If something goes wrong Suthep can be blamed.

this could be like history repeating itself ---- great time to take a trip downunder -- and of course who will get all the blame when it all goes wrong -- know the heavy hand tactics that Suthep likes to use anything is possible - and the PM can shun responsibility -- who monitor the situation on the ABC news at 7pm from his hotel room - come on - any leader sic - would be cancelling such a trip as it could turn nasty as most predict -- well be interesting to see how it all pans out - hope to god its not another coup -

I am visiting Thailand THIS week (from Australia). Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva is visiting Australia NEXT week.

Sounds like a good plan.

Peter

I wish I could quote " when the going gets tough the tough gets going" but there is nothing tough about this super Elite puppet. He is more than likely dealing with confrontation in the ways Thais usually do by running away except when they have a dozen of their friends with them against one. He is running scared from the threat of an unknown number of red shirts demonstrating or maybe on orders from the elite/miltary that pull his strings. The sooner this guy leaves the happier I will be.

I am visiting Thailand THIS week (from Australia). Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva is visiting Australia NEXT week.

Sounds like a good plan.

Peter

I wish I could quote " when the going gets tough the tough gets going" but there is nothing tough about this super Elite puppet. He is more than likely dealing with confrontation in the ways Thais usually do by running away except when they have a dozen of their friends with them against one. He is running scared from the threat of an unknown number of red shirts demonstrating or maybe on orders from the elite/miltary that pull his strings. The sooner this guy leaves the happier I will be.

Youre not alone with that feeling

Sounds like a good plan.

Peter

My friend I think you should learn something about Abhisit and his ability (and/or those around him) to use trips like this as a show of strength rather than "running away". We all know what happened to the (caretaker, actually he was more of a "make believe" PM by then as he'd sort of handed the reigns over to someone else) PM who was out of town at the time of the 2006 coup - don't we?

Abhisit's move will show to great advantage that he has nothing to fear from 1. those Amayata Overlords 2. His opponents (this time, the lights have changed from yellow to red).

Weak ?

You be the judge.

Edited by RegularReader

It is times like these I wish UBC had better programming, it would solve a lot of problems if people had something to watch, besides it is hot in the sun. I don't even water plants till after 6. Oh BTW pink is all the rage. :D

Gives a new meaning to 2 in the pink and 1 in the stink. :)

Sounds like a good plan.

Peter

My friend I think you should learn something about Abhisit and his ability (and/or those around him) to use trips like this as a show of strength rather than "running away". We all know what happened to the (caretaker, actually he was more of a "make believe" PM by then as he'd sort of handed the reigns over to someone else) PM who was out of town at the time of the 2006 coup - don't we?

Abhisit's move will show to great advantage that he has nothing to fear from 1. those Amayata Overlords 2. His opponents (this time, the lights have changed from yellow to red).

Weak ?

You be the judge.

Do you really think a Prime minister leaving the country when all of the media are predicting huge political demonstrations against the Government is a sign of strength? If he is so strong and his own man why has he not called an election? Lack of courage or lack of instructions from his bosses?

Do you really think a Prime minister leaving the country when all of the media are predicting huge political demonstrations against the Government is a sign of strength?

Given the spectacular flops of the last few red demonstrations, he really has nothing to be worried about. We get people posting on here that he spends far too much time concerned with Thaksin, yet when he decides to go ahead with a trip that was planned before the reds came up with their protest dates, a trip that will see him discussing economic ties with Australia, the biggest supplier of raw materials in the region, he is lambasted for not paying enough attention to Thaksin's threats. Why should he change his schedule to suit a bunch of crazed thugs? If their protest is peaceful, as they insist it will be, it doesn't matter where he is. If violence breaks out then he can be back within half a day if needed.

If he is so strong and his own man why has he not called an election? Lack of courage or lack of instructions from his bosses?

He has until early 2011 before he must call elections. Why should he call them prior to then? Calling an election because a bunch of thugs threaten violence, and a bunch of ignorants try and make out he has no mandate, would be giving in to blackmail. The fact that he has not succumbed to their threats and taunts shows that he is very much his own man.

Do you really think a Prime minister leaving the country when all of the media are predicting huge political demonstrations against the Government is a sign of strength?

Given the spectacular flops of the last few red demonstrations, he really has nothing to be worried about. We get people posting on here that he spends far too much time concerned with Thaksin, yet when he decides to go ahead with a trip that was planned before the reds came up with their protest dates, a trip that will see him discussing economic ties with Australia, the biggest supplier of raw materials in the region, he is lambasted for not paying enough attention to Thaksin's threats. Why should he change his schedule to suit a bunch of crazed thugs? If their protest is peaceful, as they insist it will be, it doesn't matter where he is. If violence breaks out then he can be back within half a day if needed.

If he is so strong and his own man why has he not called an election? Lack of courage or lack of instructions from his bosses?

He has until early 2011 before he must call elections. Why should he call them prior to then? Calling an election because a bunch of thugs threaten violence, and a bunch of ignorants try and make out he has no mandate, would be giving in to blackmail. The fact that he has not succumbed to their threats and taunts shows that he is very much his own man.

If recent Thai history is anything to go by he will be ousted by another coup long before 2011!!!!!!and good riddance to elite Oxford boy!!! :)

If recent Thai history is anything to go by he will be ousted by another coup long before 2011!!!!!!and good riddance to elite Oxford boy!!! :)

...and to be replaced by ?

You appear to be just like the UDD leaders.

They have no vision for the future of Thailand.

They only have a "vision" to restore thier Man from Dubai back on his throne, to go on creating a far less democratic and certainly far less equal Thailand - if "history" is anything to go by.

Maybe their vision is democracy.

If that is their "vision" their leaders don't give very much indication they know what that means ?

All they sprout forth is a "desire for democracy" but never say what that is, beyond giving freedom and money back to someone they hold up as a "saviour".

They have conned a lot of people with this - without ever explaining what it means.

They jumble it up in a ragbag of cheap phrases and cliches stolen from the pages of various political manifestos of the last 150 years.

That won't put food on the table, or educate the kids. It might provide the leaders with a life rich in money and power, in fawning support of their "saviour",but what about those who are little more than cannon fodder?

What do they ever show they will do for them - apart from proividing "democracry" without explanation.

Give Thais a real movement to help improve their lives - ALL Thais.