20,000 Monks Tipped To Join Red-shirt Rally On March 12

webfact

Thank you.

Therefore we are both correct.

However, the figures you quote were reletively short lived, as it is now up around it's normal 28-30 range and has been for the past few months.

Regarding "quoting", I think you might have been refering to my "editing" your posts. That is because, there were more posts attached to yours, than is allowed. So, I had to delete some of the earlier content - apologies

Therefore, it is clear that with the drastic devaluation of the baht to fall into line with the gluttony of Wall Street, the economy has failed far more than it has improved.

Come on. The baht has always been relatively pegged to the US$. The fact that the $A dived for a few months has nothing to do with the economics of Thailand.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember, there may be thousands of people coming from far away and with everything they have finacially and when they get scattered what to do?

I'd suggest to watch out for scattered red shirts, especially families with children. Help them discretely with foods and chilling drinks, take them to the next grocery store. Don't discuss politics. After all, we're all humans.

YES! Time will tell and it only takes 30 seconds to spawn a thread, but there are going to be people in need of a little help over the coming week or so, and there will be times when a little kindness from a neutral foreign observer in the way of a drink of a few small baht notes might go a long way.

Tonight I donated 500 baht to a woman who works at this hotel to take her daughter to the doctor's tomorrow. I have no doubt that the doc won't charger her 500 baht and that most of that donation will be returned to me on Monday. It's these sorts of unexpected emergencies that might sometimes see someone in need in the short term and that's where someone with a few spare bottles of Oishi might give a little bit, and see a great result in return.

---o0o---

Come on. The baht has always been relatively pegged to the US$. The fact that the $A dived for a few months has nothing to do with the economics of Thailand.

Check the records from 12 months ago, it was the USD that fell the most, and only because the THB has been brought back into line with a flailing currency that the AUD is buying 29 baht again. The AUD was in the high 90s against the ISD 12 months ago, but this re-pegging is what has caused the failure of the Thai baht to coincide with the weakening USD. Typical PAD tactics but maybe it's just coincidence?

Edited by SeanMoran

Here we go again...

The truth is, Thaksin was not even Prime Minister when the coup happened. He had in fact even handed over his "Caretaker PM" role.

For someone who has been contributing to this site since 2004, surely you know that ?

You can twist the truth, but you can't hide it.

Yes ... you seem to be doing a lot of twisting, Rainman.

So perhaps you might ask whoever wrote that initial comment about the improvement in the economy to rescind their erroneous statement amd we can leave economics out of this.

Unfortunately for your cunning little argument, the economic growth of a country is not measured by what its currency does in relationship to the AUD. The traditional method is GDP growth. A look at the figures for Thailand shows that it has indeed been growing since the globally caused downturn in Jan '09. This government is indeed doing a very good job on the economy, which is remarkable since there were posts on here about a year ago predicting doom for the economy and the government. The finance minister even won an international award for his work. This is yet another reason for the reds to be agitating right now, not only has their master lost a chunk of his money, but the Democrats are in danger of proving to be very successful economically.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/Economics/...aspx?Symbol=THB

post-73341-1267885986_thumb.jpg

So perhaps you might ask whoever wrote that initial comment about the improvement in the economy to rescind their erroneous statement amd we can leave economics out of this.

Unfortunately for your cunning little argument, the economic growth of a country is not measured by what its currency does in relationship to the AUD. The traditional method is GDP growth. A look at the figures for Thailand shows that it has indeed been growing since the globally caused downturn in Jan '09. This government is indeed doing a very good job on the economy, which is remarkable since there were posts on here about a year ago predicting doom for the economy and the government. The finance minister even won an international award for his work. This is yet another reason for the reds to be agitating right now, not only has their master lost a chunk of his money, but the Democrats are in danger of proving to be very successful economically.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/Economics/...aspx?Symbol=THB

post-73341-1267885986_thumb.jpg

It was 7-10% GDP growth that caused the 1998 crisis. Is that what you call improvement?

Arisman claims 20,000 Buddhist monks will join rally

BANGKOK: -- Red-shirt leader Arisman Pongruangrong claimed Saturday that some 20,000 Buddhist monks would join the protest organised by the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship (DAAD) next weekend.

He said the monks would come from temples like Dhammakaya, Kaew Fah and many others in the North, Notheastern and Central region of the country.

The monks would provide moral boosters to red shirts, he said, and would pray and chant so the demonstrators can defeat devil (mara). Monks will also remind police, soldiers and government to be mindful and to not harm red shirts.

Aside from monks, Arisman said some 5,000 farming families have began making their journey to Bangkok with stop over areas in Nakhon Ratchasima and Saraburi. He warned Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thueksubhan to not try to stop farming vehicles from entering Bangkok saying farmer would march by foot even if their vehicles were stopped.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-06

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

They're not going to catch us we're on a mission from Buddah :)

it's a significant development, if the monks do join in the rally. They migh tip off the change not by numbers, but by giving a moral support to the cause.

Also, it's harder for the army to shoot at monks as opposed to other protesters, like they did during Black Songkran. Monks might help to keep things peaceful (on both sides), and keep people alive.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Abhisit telling monks to basically stay at home and denying them to express their opinion is just another example of Thailand's already shattered human rights record.

What are you talking about? Monks cannot vote. Monks cannot hold office. Monks cannot work for money. Monks cannot drink or fornicate. Monks cannot do a great many things. Monks, by definition and the vows they take, are apolitical. Any monk participating in a political demonstration will be violating the principles he has sworn to uphold.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

And another, somewhat related, article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonthi_Boonya...n#Personal_life

General (Ret.) Sonthi Boonyaratglin is former Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Thai Army and former head of the Council for National Security, the military junta that ruled the kingdom ... On 19 September 2006, he became the de facto head of government of Thailand after overthrowing the elected government in a coup d'état.
Sonthi has two concurrent wives. He registered to marry his first wife, Sukanya, when he was a lieutenant and registered to a second wife, Piyada, when he was a captain. He currently lives with both women. Bigamy is illegal in Thailand, and is punishable with a jail term. However, Interior Minister Aree Wongsaraya defended Sonthi, claiming that it was a personal matter. He boasted that he himself had six wives.

Like I said, somewhat related ..but mainly just an amusing example of Thailand's double standards. :)

Other than the fact Wikipedia is notoriously inaccurate.

This speaks more to Thailand making an attempt at allowing some Muslim autonomy.

Under Islam both these men are allowed 6 wives, if they can afford them.

But even a VERY hi so non-Muslim Thai would not meet legal approval marrying the Mia noi these days.

I thought it was 4?

it's a significant development, if the monks do join in the rally. They migh tip off the change not by numbers, but by giving a moral support to the cause.

Also, it's harder for the army to shoot at monks as opposed to other protesters, like they did during Black Songkran. Monks might help to keep things peaceful (on both sides), and keep people alive.

So the monks are going to stop the reds from attacking the locals?

Abhisit telling monks to basically stay at home and denying them to express their opinion is just another example of Thailand's already shattered human rights record.

But it wasn't Abhisit who said this.

BINGO!

Okay, excuse me. Abhisit's media puppet said it. You got me.

But it wasn't Abhisit who said this.

BINGO!

Okay, excuse me. Abhisit's media puppet said it. You got me.

Try, Suthep the Dep Prime minister for Security.

And he was quite right,

a proper Buddhist monk is above worldly connections such as politics,

as a basic tenant of his vows. If not then he is a false monk.

Joining a rally to bring down the government is just so vary Un-Monk.

They can have opinions, but this is not the proper forum if they are an actual real Buddhist monk.

Edited by animatic

Wow 20,000 Monks!!!!!

If this many turn out they will outnumber the "red shirts".

My Issarn wife's family and friends use to think that "Mr T" was a great person and accepted that corruption was a part of Thai culture, however since he closely aligned himself with Hun Sen they will have nothing more to do with him.

My father in-law has even disowned him by now declaring "he not Thai he Chinese".

Wow 20,000 Monks!!!!!

If this many turn out they will outnumber the "red shirts".

My Issarn wife's family and friends use to think that "Mr T" was a great person and accepted that corruption was a part of Thai culture, however since he closely aligned himself with Hun Sen they will have nothing more to do with him.

My father in-law has even disowned him by now declaring "he not Thai he Chinese".

Wow.!! My Issan wife says they same thing... Once Cambodia was associated with Chief Criminal Thaksin the whole village dropped him like a hot potato.

Your father-in-law is a smart cookie. Better cheer for Abhisit.

(Small print: The Vejjajivas are members of a prominent family of Thai Chinese Laotian that are of (Hakka) origin that maintained good relationships with the Thai ruling elite from as early as the late 18th century. The family's Chinese surname is Yuan (Chinese: 袁; pinyin: Yuán).)

So this may turn into an orange habit mass rally.

This will make a refreshing change.

Considering the relatively neutral colour that saffron is in this context, I hope that the participation of these good fellows might help towards a peaceful resolution by democratic mechanism.

For possibly the only time in my life I agree 100% with Sean on this. :)

Thailand needs a peaceful solution to it's political problems.

I hope there is no violence from any side. :D

So, Mr T's mob gone from vote-buying to monk-buying, then?

You can't buy monks. That's a major part of the difference in this.

That's not true, some Thai monks can be bought (they aren't extremely religious, i see them breaking Buddhist rules very often)

**I am not saying all buddhist monks can be bought, but some of them can

That's not true, some Thai monks can be bought (they aren't extremely religious, i see them breaking Buddhist rules very often)

The exact number of monks that can be bought in Thailand would be around 20,000? Just like the 5 million votes that were allegedly bought by Thaksin in the last election. It all makes sense now.

The exact number of monks that can be bought in Thailand would be around 20,000? Just like the 5 million votes that were allegedly bought by Thaksin in the last election. It all makes sense now.

I guess we'll see exactly just how many monks can be bought in Thailand on March 12th. Besides, you only have to buy the abbots, The monks come as a "tam free".

Strange how forum members seem to want to treat "Monks" in a different light to the rest of society. What is the difference?

They are as corrupt as any other person in Thailand, and in some cases far more corrupt than one would want to believe.

Those saffron robbed people (I dont wish to call them Monks.. they have lost the plot!) are just parasites on the community. Hitler had these guys .. he called them the SS... not much difference.

It took an impressive 5 pages for you to finally invoke Godwin's Law and with quite a load of dim-witted diarrhoea.   :)  

Those saffron robbed people (I dont wish to call them Monks.. they have lost the plot!) are just parasites on the community. Hitler had these guys .. he called them the SS... not much difference.

It took an impressive 5 pages for you to finally invoke Godwin's Law and with quite a load of dim-witted diarrhoea. :)

dam_n! Found out.... only after 5 pages!