Hair Straightening Revisited

sbk

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3000 baht for medium length hair, it lasts about 3-4 months-- I had mine done beginning of July and with judiciuos use of the haircolor (roots only!) and not shampooing too frequently, am looking at having it done again early next month. Bit frizzy now but nothing like before when I was a major frizz head.

and what does your husband say about your transformation to non-frizz?

I have a story to tell about an old paramour who I had known for about 15 years that went from natural straight hair to artificial frizz and back again but I won't bore the assembly...but it was weird having wonderful sex with the same woman with radically different hair...

• 2 weeks later...

3000 baht for medium length hair, it lasts about 3-4 months-- I had mine done beginning of July and with judiciuos use of the haircolor (roots only!) and not shampooing too frequently, am looking at having it done again early next month. Bit frizzy now but nothing like before when I was a major frizz head.

Just a word of caution regarding pricing - I had thought it was Bt3,000 for medium length hair - but for some reason mine cost Bt5,000 (my hair is layered -- shorter than chin length in front, and a bit longer than shoulder length in back). On the phone I was told the price would be Bt4,000 for medium length by Nang when I made the appointment, which seemed fair. In person, one of her staff insisted it should be Bt5,000. I later found out the price range is Bt3,000-5,000 depending on length. Nang said SBK (she remembered SBK) has "very short hair" and therefore Bt3,000 was the right price for SBK, but my hair (which really is medium length at its longest) was "very long" and therefore was Bt5,000. Not only did Nang not do my hair (despite my making the appointment with her directly) I believe her salon overcharged based on her own pricing scheme. Unfortunately and regretfully, I came away feeling extremely ripped off. SBK, I guess you must have shorter than chin length hair to get the Bt3,000 price?

Edited by Misty

Just a word of caution regarding pricing - I had thought it was Bt3,000 for medium length hair - but for some reason mine cost Bt5,000 (my hair is layered -- shorter than chin length in front, and a bit longer - maybe 1-2 inches - than shoulder length in back). On the phone I was told the price would be Bt4,000 for medium length by Nang when I made the appointment, which seemed fair. In person, one of her staff insisted it should be Bt5,000. I later found out the price range is Bt3,000-5,000 depending on length. Nang said SBK (she remembered SBK) has "very short hair" and therefore Bt3,000 was the right price for SBK, but my hair (which really is medium length at its longest) was "very long" and therefore was Bt5,000. Not only did Nang not do my hair (despite my making the appointment with her directly) I believe her salon overcharged based on her own pricing scheme. Unfortunately and regretfully, I came away feeling extremely ripped off. SBK, I guess you must have shorter than chin length hair to get the Bt3,000 price?

sbk has just above the shoulder length hair so maybe they just made up knowing who sbk is?

I have longish hair, just past my shoulder blades & had it done in uk for 120 pounds including the cut, approx the same price you paid. I'd say they were trying it on.

Regardless of that, how are you finding it? Mine has lost all it's frizz, still has a bit of body but the main thing I am loving is my fringe doesn't get all twisty/flicky & part in the centre anymore. My hair is really soft & looks/feels in great condition. All in all I am happy with it & think it's worth every penny

Nope, Boo is right, shoulder length all one length. Maybe with the strong baht the chemicals are expensive? Dunno, I had mine done in July and was thinking of doing it again later this month. I will report back here.

Nope, Boo is right, shoulder length all one length. Maybe with the strong baht the chemicals are expensive? Dunno, I had mine done in July and was thinking of doing it again later this month. I will report back here.

Yes, I think like Boo says they were likely "trying it on". Strong baht should make imported chemicals cheaper in baht terms, but I did this a couple months back as well. On the phone with Nang the price was Bt3,000-4,000 but her staff insisted Bt5,000 - not sure why, maybe my business clothes made them up the price. My hair is layered pretty short in front and only slightly longer than shoulder length in back so to me Bt4,000 seems about right.

I liked the treatment - it did take away the frizz which was great as I had it done before rainy season really got underway. Sadly I learned later that the special shampoo the shop sold me contained some of the ingredients that according to the internet you're not supposed to use, so it may not have lasted as long as it could have.

For anyone who wants to try it - from my experience here's a couple of suggestions that may help you:

1) Make sure you clearly fix and are happy with the price beforehand (their posted range is Bt3,000-5,000 - and based on SBK's experience shoulder length hair should be Bt3,000) Any price discussed by phone with Nang is not fixed and her staff may change it.

2) Make sure the special shampoo they sell you doesn't contain sodium chloride, sulfates or sulfides or the treatment won't last

3) Don't expect Nang to do your hair even if you made the appointment with her. She may not spend any time on you at all, as in my case. (Except for the pricing issue, her staff seemed fine however)

4) They're unable to take credit cards, so you'll need to bring a lot of cash. I needed about Bt8,000, and perhaps with the correct shampoo and conditioner it would have cost more.

Don't let this put you off, as I'd probably feel differently if not for the pricing and shampoo issues. I liked the treatment, but unfortunately because of my specific circumstances I don't think I'll be going back.

Well, I really did go to Chetta, and now my hair is burnt all down the left side, it's a nightmare. It feels like cotton, looks like cotton, and stands out even more against the rest of my hair that is now, ironically, straight!

I paid 2500 baht for it, and tried contacting them so they could fix it, and after a few attempts and them taking days to reply to one email, they simply stopped replying when we got to booking an appointment.

Here's some advice for y'all: DON'T GO THERE!

• 3 months later...
Hi all

I has just rebonded my hair a week ago at Chetta Lifestyle Salon. I'm so happy with the result and couldn't help not to speak up for them.

They are very attentive and professional and this make me feel very comfortable through out the 4 over hours of treatment. :D

The way they handled my hair is very difference from other places I tried before. They coated my hair with protective treatment cream before my rebonding to protect my hair. They are very patience by working on small portion of my hair at a time which was very time consuming. I have very frizzy and stubborn texture hair and has never received such a perfect result.

Take a look at their work at sites.google.com/site/chettasalon/customers and I trust you will believe why I'm so impress with them. :) They has just opened their 2nd outlet at On Nut 45 but I went to their other branch at Udom Suk 47.

I'm going back for color next week as my stylist suggested to dye after rebonding. As rebonding will drop my colored by 1-2 shades should I did my color before rebonding. Really... I'm looking for my next appointment with them.

Cheers and happy styling! :D

If i did not know better i would say perhaps you are Chetta in disguise?

your English is rather Thai -

but good try Win

Anyways

@SBK

The Corner near Charn Isara tower just got some Brand new products in for The Aftercare keratin treatment, and its wonderful and should make the whole process last for a good 5 months.

I just got Deep conditioner and leave in spray...

So in theory - anyone getting Keratin treatment can either pop back in every month and get it retouched, or just buy the spray and do it at home.

If anyone is interested give Paweerada at The Corner a call

You can google 'the Corner Bangkok' and its easy to find

By the way the red shirts are camped on the opposite side to her shop - so the road is still open and yesterday was fine.

Adios...

hay hay hay! so called snr member, djlest, if you dunno.... dun judge!!! unless u r working for e corner (sorry, not trying to behave like u)

i kno i m a newbie, u dun hv to react tis way....

i tot tis is e site for sharing but it seem is a judgement site... no offend to those who r not

by using tis forum for my own reference never did i expect it involves politic. mayb as suggested i shld b more careful wif e authenticity of every identities

anyway i juz wanted to share my experience is up to u guys or gals to see it for urself or perhaps for some to judge.... hahaha... no offend again.

still e same remarks they r good... check out their web http://sites.google....salon/customers and decide for urself

adios, i m out of here for good!!

p.s. dun wish my good intention to cause any harm to chetta salon.

Im getting mine done today

a bit scared

my hair 'can' look messy...but I love my curls. getting it cut shorter too

I know Im gonna hate the new hair (simply cos Ill miss my long curls). so wish me luck everyone :D

unlike others who have to spend hours blowdrying and ironing out their hair, I never did any of that. so the long curls (with its frizziness and all) never really bothered me.

although, the other day while in bkk, it suddenly dawned on me why ALL the women in bangkok look so good ALL the time. EVERYONE seems to get their hair done!! many on a daily basis :lol:

• 1 month later...

My Daughter had this done today(shiseido). She says she loves it. It is suppose to last for one year, or until her hair grows out...whichever comes first. They told her to wait 3 days before she washed it, but did not mention anything about special shampoos. Watsons and nonsulfur based is that correct?

doubt it will fully last for a year as the roots with grow out without the treatment. Mine usually lasts about 4 months but after about 3 months I really notice that it has relaxed alot. Had mine done (brazillian kerotine) again 2 weeks ago, loving it much more this time, slightly different process than the first time but seems to have taken hold much more than the last.

Def use the proper shampoo, it will make it last longer but tell her to be careful not to get kinks or her hair wet for the 72hrs after having it done, also don't tie it up or tuck it behind the ears, basically keep it in the exact same style they set it in for the 72 hrs.

I don't see how any hair treatment can last a year? Hair grows. Mine lasts about 4 months or so using non sulfur based shampoos and not washing my hair every day.

Getting ready to do mine again (hot sweaty and humid season is upon us) so will report back if its the same as last year.

Just back from Corner Salon -- my hair is longer and I think their prices have gone up a bit. Fair enough since its been more than 6 months since I last had it done.

Cost 4,000 baht and it took me 2 1/2 hours to get it done. They wash your hair, leave the shampoo in about 15 minutes. Then apply the keratin. Then put you under a hood for 15 minutes, then blow dry it in. Then iron the hair practically layer by layer, with one person going over it then followed by a second person to re-iron it. They offered shampoo but i bought quite a bit last in the US so didn't need it.

Won't wash my hair until thursday. But, same process as last time and last time I was thrilled.

I went for the brazilian keratin treatment as suggested by dgisler in the other older thread. Took a couple of hours, smelled something awful, but 3000 baht lighter and I am FRIZZ FREE! THANK GOD ALMIGHTY FRIZZ FREE AT LAST!

Sorry, Couldn't resist! Its been so many years, so much product, hair irons, blow dryers, special brushes etc.

Treatment is not as severe at the japanese one from the sounds of it (cheers eek for the blow by blow description of your experience with the japanese hair straightening). did a fair amt of online research and this washes out where the japanese one does not. So, special shampoos and not too much shampooing but, it should last about 3-5 months. Immediately after the treatment it was really straight and flat to my head. I waited about 4 days to shampoo (they said min 2) and after washing and letting it air dry, I was very pleased to see it had body but NO FRIZZ.

I will most assuredly do this again when it wears out.

I had it done as dgisler suggested at the Corner Salon off Rama IV, around the corner from the old Robinsons Silom and down about a block. You want Nang, you can email but you have to make an appt with her. She seems to only work after 3 pm and you'd best remind her one day before the appt.

I've been checking out what is called the Brazilian blowout on http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/i-did-a-brazilian-blowout They say this one doesn't smell bad at all but actually has a pleasant smell. What I like about it is that if you want you can have straight hair, or as in my case I just want to relax the curl a bit. It's also supposed to make it softer and smoother....Now all I need is someone that actually knows how to cut curly hair and has this product. It cost between $250-450 in the states.....I'm hoping if it's available it's way cheaper than that.

Beachbunny

• 3 weeks later...

I don't see how any hair treatment can last a year? Hair grows. Mine lasts about 4 months or so using non sulfur based shampoos and not washing my hair every day.

Getting ready to do mine again (hot sweaty and humid season is upon us) so will report back if its the same as last year.

Yes you are correct...they said she would have to go back when the new hair grows out...since it would be untreated.

We brought our own Shisedo...and so they said it would only be 500B. She is half Thai...so I guess that was why it was so much cheaper. So after a couple weeks her hair started to get wavy again. We were not sure so we thought maybe her shampoo/conditioner was doing it. So we went to the place where we bought the chemicals...and they said there was no need for a "special shampoo". Although they did say there was no way that it should be doing that already. So we went back to the Salon and asked if they could tells what shampoo to use.

Well even they told us there was no special shampoo, but asked me to come back the next day and bring back the left over chemicals. So we did...turns out when the girl went in the back she switched out thegood stuff for the cheap stuff. They redid the whole treatment again. She waited a week and a half to wash it...just to be safe....and it is still straight.

Forgot to mention...they did not charge for the 2nd treatment...and would not accept any tip for it...they just would like to keep us as customers. We will return, and recommend friends. I think it is not very often that you will find an honest bus. person here.

• 1 month later...

Hey,

My GF (thai) was looking for a place to get her hair straightened, she saw this thread (and made me read it) and rang Nang's saloon. She's booked in tomorrow, does she need to do anything before hand? wash or what? and what does she have to do after? a sulfate free shampoo?

It says 4k bht for medium hair, her hair is about boob length. But she doesn't have a lot of hair and it's very thin, so she won't put up with any stupid pricing.

No, they wash your hair when you get there, in fact leave it in for at least 20 minutes. She will need sulfate free shampoo, which they sell at Corner Salon but its not cheap, she can check out boots for some, I recall someone mentioning they saw it there for cheaper.

My hair is past my shoulders and quite thick so the higher price is understandable although painful but I have to confess, that with my frizzy unruly hair, its a godsend and worth every baht as I finally like my hair.

Girlfriend called me a bit upset, she has medium hair, boob length maybe, but not a lot of hair at all and it's quite straight. They told her 6k, which is a rip off, she said 4k on the phone (she has medium hair) so they got into a bit of a arguement (thai's don't like being ripped off either). So she called me up and I told her it's a rip off and to leave it, a friend from school will take her and get it done next week.

I think even MBK saloons are cheaper, crazy prices, according to the website, 6k is "very long hair"

Edited by Bingo66

Girlfriend called me a bit upset, she has medium hair, boob length maybe, but not a lot of hair at all and it's quite straight. They told her 6k, which is a rip off, she said 4k on the phone (she has medium hair) so they got into a bit of a arguement (thai's don't like being ripped off either). So she called me up and I told her it's a rip off and to leave it, a friend from school will take her and get it done next week.

I think even MBK saloons are cheaper, crazy prices, according to the website, 6k is "very long hair"

Boob lenght, I thought you said bob length. Mine is just past my shoulders. If she isn't willing to pay the price then the best thing to do is just walk out, which she did. I won't need it again for a few months but will be sure to check price before I do it. But just so you know, mid-back is far longer than shoulder length.

Apparently there is another place that does it so she should try there.

Boob lenght, I thought you said bob length. Mine is just past my shoulders. If she isn't willing to pay the price then the best thing to do is just walk out, which she did. I won't need it again for a few months but will be sure to check price before I do it. But just so you know, mid-back is far longer than shoulder length.

Apparently there is another place that does it so she should try there.

My gf had a argument with her and said I see farang on the internet get their hair done for 4k and she replied with "we never get farang here, only thai" . My teacher (thai) has gotten her a discounted apointment at time square for 4k, so seems like this girl is a farang rip off. It's not a overpriced saloon in MBK, it's a cramped crappy looking saloon on Silom, seems shes a massive farang rip off.

my GF advice is theres many people that offer the same treatment for half the price, if you can't speak thai, maybe your partner can help, but shes a rip off, don't be fooled by the "I can speak english wannabe superstar boss".

Thai's certainly don't like be taken like a fool by another thai that thinks shes something. And now think I know more about hair straightening than any other man on this earth (not by choice!)

Edited by Bingo66

lol bingo, sorry about that! please get your gf to have you report back here after she's done, but make sure she waits till after the first shampoo (she should wait at least three days) and give name of shop, location and prices.

Weird that as I have been there 3-4 times and she told me she had many farang who used the salon for straightening.

• 9 months later...

me too -

@Bingo

actually i think before your GF went she should look at the actual prices on the website

bob length is the same as boob length - lol

here are the prices from the website - the corner salon website - google it!

Hair Straightening with 22k Gold

QOD Brazilian Keratin Bangkok Thailand

Brazilian Keratin Treatment (Short) .....................3000 Baht

Brazilian Keratin Treatment (Medium) ................. 4000 Baht

Brazilian Keratin Treatment (long) ...................... 5000 baht

Brazilian Keratin Treatment (Very long) .............. 6000 baht

as for not having any farang in the shop, well you must have gone to the wrong shop because The Corner is one of the biggest farang friendly salons in Bangkok , they have more farang than Thais!

P.S. There is another Salon in Bangkok doing Brazilian keratin treatment - QOD Brand - the latest is Organic Wash same Day formula

You can check them out - They are called Zenred salon

They are at monopoly Park Mall

Just google it!

Was just there last month and there were farang, the prices have gone up but she is using a new formula, still works a treat tho. and I am still happy to pay, first time in years I have been happy with my hair.

as an anecdote, I have a thai niece 15y.o. with a school girl bob that had a natural wave and she bought some straightener from tescos and it made her look different and I thought that the job enhanced her looks...the straightener also had some serious conditioner included as now she can shake her mane like a shampoo advertisement model on the TV, for as much as the length of a school girl bob allows...

she was always a reserved, serious girl but now appears to have greater self confidence...she is a very resourceful young girl...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I am Thai and had mine done last year, medium length @ 4000B

There were plenty of international customers (farangs and many indians) there and the service is nice plus they all speak good English. They sell keratin shampoo and conditioner there too, I went back to buy those once.

I had mine done here http://www.greenleafspa.com/

It's in Sathorn/Silom district smile.png

Edited by Japhy

• 1 month later...

I believe there is another place in Bangkok doing the latest organic QOD formula Brazilian Keratin Treatments - these are the safest and dont contain any formaldehyde, plus they wash the same day. No waiting for 48 hours and having that awful smell when you sleep.

Its at Zenred hair and beauty salon - its in the same place as the Hajime robot restaurant, a samurai robot that serves you food. lol

(definitely worth a look me thinks)

For those that don't know the latest Bangkok Gossip about Brazilian keratin, a little bird told me:

There was a big thing last year apparently happened in at least 2 salons in Bangkok with bad Brazilian keratin products that were banned from Canada for having too much formaldehyde, this is really nasty stuff they use to embalm dead bodies.

Well the story goes that a salon in MBK brought the 'La Brasiliana brand',

and it made the staff so sick they collapsed and went into a coma.

This is another shining example of how lax Thailands laws are with dangerous products that anywhere else in the world would be banned.

The salon did not even pay for the staff when she was off sick, that's just awful.

Also the famous Brazilian Blowout apparently contains 8% formaldehyde, the recommended level is actually 0.2%

So if you see any of these brands in Bangkok - i would say steer clear as you get get very sick and they really should be banned here too.

For anyone interested you can see more about things here - strongly recommend you only use QOD as that's the only brand not mentioned

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media/advisories-avis/_2011/2011_56-eng.php