Where To Buy Bamboo Floor Rugs?

NancyL

Anyone know where to buy floor rugs made of natural fibers like bamboo, sisal, water hyacinth? We need one for our dining area, so it needs to be at least 5 ft x 7 ft -- larger would be better (approx 150 cm x 215 cm). We live in town and have to rely on song thaews and tuk-tuks, so it would be great to find a rug here in the city and not have to figure out how to get to Baan Tawan or someplace else far away.

There's a picture of what I have in mind on this website http://www.beachwood.com.au/bamboo-floor-p-360.html

Try the rattan furniture shops on Chang Moi Rd. From Mike's Burger's on the moat, head towards Warorot Market. Starting at the first soi, on the left you'll see a string of these shops. As I recall the first one, on the corner, has the best selection of these woven mats.

I am also in the market for a bamboo carpet--about a 3 by 3 metre one. I did see smaller ones at Index which are about 1.5 by 2.5 metres which is not large enough for the space I have to cover. The sisal ones seem to be hard on bare feet. I have seen shops along Hang Dong Road on the way to Ban Tawai that have water hyacinth and sisal in large sizes, but as I have said, they are rough on bare feet.

Should I come across one with the flat bamboo which each strip is about 2.5 centimeters width, in larger sizes than Index, I will contact you again.

If, in the meantime, Nancy, you come across them, I would appreciate you letting me know where you found it.

• 1 year later...

Hi Everybody,

I have been looking for natural fibre flooring too.

I need to cover a 30 sqm area and I would like to find sisal rolls or water hyacinth rolls in Chiang Mai, but I cannot find. In France they can retail at about 400 Thb a sqm.

Shepsel has been talking about shops on Hang dong road... Anybody knows where I could find these rolls, in Chiang Mai, or elsewhere in Thailand.

Thanks in advance.

Wow, this thread is an oldie-but-goodie. We ended up getting two smaller mats at one of the wicker/rattan furniture shops on Chang Moi road. Not quite what I had in mind, but they work. Basically we have a discontinuity under our dining table, where the two mats come together. In retrospect, I'm glad we didn't get anything more expensive because we adopted a cat shortly after getting the mats and he's turned them into grooming aids for his manicures/pedicures.

nancyl

re ... I'm glad we didn't get anything more expensive because we adopted a cat shortly after getting the mats and he's turned them into grooming aids for his manicures/pedicures

adopting a cat is good ... thank you ... glad you got sorted with your mats

enjoy pics ... dave2

post-42592-0-57313500-1301333685_thumb.j

post-42592-0-72252100-1301333786_thumb.j

nancyl

re ... I'm glad we didn't get anything more expensive because we adopted a cat shortly after getting the mats and he's turned them into grooming aids for his manicures/pedicures

adopting a cat is good ... thank you ... glad you got sorted with your mats

enjoy pics ... dave2

It looks like the cat matches very well with the interior !

ps, why it it called 'wat prah singh' cat ??

Edited by bangkokcitylimits

bkcl.

re ... why it it called 'wat prah singh' cat

coz it lives 100 yards from wat prah singh.... simple ; )

the same as the other little stunner that lives in this driving school office on the north side of the moat

enjoy pic ... dave2

post-42592-0-17371100-1301335956_thumb.j