Supersport/wetv

bangkok blue

The 2002 WOrld Cup on Thai TV had the choice of Thai or English commentary. The last WC had only Thai. Where did you hear that this time there will be only Thai commentary? According to one writer on Thaivisa he contacted channel 3 and they told him that English commentary will be available. ....Plenty of reason to be skeptic I know but...

The 2002 WOrld Cup on Thai TV had the choice of Thai or English commentary. The last WC had only Thai. Where did you hear that this time there will be only Thai commentary? According to one writer on Thaivisa he contacted channel 3 and they told him that English commentary will be available. ....Plenty of reason to be skeptic I know but...

Believe it when you hear it. :D 2006 WC Thai only. :D About one weak before the WC after UBC had promised English on ESPN the government stepped in and said no way,Thai channels only in Thai. :)

Believe it when you hear it. :D 2006 WC Thai only. :D About one weak before the WC after UBC had promised English on ESPN the government stepped in and said no way,Thai channels only in Thai. :)

June is the start of the southern hemisphere international Rugby season as well, double whammy :D

someone mentioned that the Australian Network can be picked up free if you have a network card from them, which is free

I dont know what they intend to schedule in terms of rugby, football etc in june as their tv listings currently run to the end of march

link to aus network

Australianetwork shows Super 14 rugby union, rugby league and aussie rules in abundance but no football. The rugby union is encrypted and a decoder box with a slot (for the free card they send you) is required. They also show some rugby tests where Australia is involved later in the year.

It is no coincidence that this is happening coming up to the World Cup. SE Asian countries have to pay big bucks for the World Cup, and they can't recoup the money through subscriptions or advertising if everyone is picking up South African coverage illegally. I'm guessing FIFA have told DSTV to sort the problem out or lose the rights to broadcast in Africa.

I foresee a big market in cards from neighbouring countries, like Astro in Malaysia.

Better get cracking, lads.

No Rugby or Cricket

<deleted>. There's also the matter of the F1. If it weren't for the cartoons for the nipper, I'd knock em on the head if this came to fruition.

F1 is on Starsports UBC. :)

Yeah, with commercial breaks pretty much every time something interesting happens!

No Rugby or Cricket

<deleted>. There's also the matter of the F1. If it weren't for the cartoons for the nipper, I'd knock em on the head if this came to fruition.

F1 is on Starsports UBC. :D

Yeah, with commercial breaks pretty much every time something interesting happens!

Pay to play. Ifyou have a better idea go for it. :)

No Rugby or Cricket

UBC is about as much use as tits on a kipper. :)

No Rugby or Cricket

UBC is about as much use as tits on a kipper. :)

And what would your suggestion be... :D

It is no coincidence that this is happening coming up to the World Cup. SE Asian countries have to pay big bucks for the World Cup, and they can't recoup the money through subscriptions or advertising if everyone is picking up South African coverage illegally. I'm guessing FIFA have told DSTV to sort the problem out or lose the rights to broadcast in Africa.

I foresee a big market in cards from neighbouring countries, like Astro in Malaysia.

i would suggest that the pubs around town get cracking as i wont do anything (and i think most wont either) till satellite companies around town offer an alternative. Which begs the question, anyone know any companies in town offering cards for astro, and at what cost to retune for it?

i would suggest that the pubs around town get cracking as i wont do anything (and i think most wont either) till satellite companies around town offer an alternative. Which begs the question, anyone know any companies in town offering cards for astro, and at what cost to retune for it?

I was told that northern Thailand is out of the Astro footprint, can anyone else confirm this?

The pub/bars in this town show gumsion. They are setting on a gold mine and they well not know or care.

Edited by gotlost

The pub/bars in this town show gumsion. They are setting on a gold mine and they well not know or care.

well if i was an owner of a pub in which showing live sports attracted customers, i would make dam_n sure i continued to show live sports. (football, rugby etc)

I guess they will have to weigh up the costs, whatever that maybe to get any needed feeds necessary to show it, but im sure they will all fall into line and front up eventually, or see their customers disappear to a different pub that will show live sports.

well if i was an owner of a pub in which showing live sports attracted customers, i would make dam_n sure i continued to show live sports. (football, rugby etc)

I guess they will have to weigh up the costs, whatever that maybe to get any needed feeds necessary to show it, but im sure they will all fall into line and front up eventually, or see their customers disappear to a different pub that will show live sports.

The only problem with showing live sports is it seems that there is not to many alternatives. The new sports bar on Chang Klan Road has built it business on all sports channels available. He has all the Supersports channels on separated TV's. Talk about up the creek with no paddle.

The only problem with showing live sports is it seems that there is not to many alternatives. The new sports bar on Chang Klan Road has built it business on all sports channels available. He has all the Supersports channels on separated TV's. Talk about up the creek with no paddle.

oh well, i guess he can now sell a few of his TVs

Consistent with Donnyboy's urgings to bar owners, I got my wife to phone the head scheduler at WETV with whom we have a working , if at times strained relationship! He knew nothing of the closure of 'C-Band' or any other attempt to end the signal. He did point out, however, that WETV's pictures are pulled down in Bangkok and transmitted to Chiang Mai (I have no idea how, so don't ask) That would at least indicate at the Astro pictures might get here by some means. I'll post again if the scheduler comes up with anything interesting.

thanks MWF

glad to be that squeeky wheel in this case, coz i can forsee some frustrated sports fans should we not get our live sports, when the big events occur

And we are not frustrated already? :D

i hold out some hope that something/someone may come thru and save the day

this weekend is something to cheer about in the meantime;

theres a smorgasbord of live sports, rugby- super 14 & 6 Nations, Formula 1, Boxing- Pacquiao vs Clottley,

probably some football as well :D

a good time to lay low and be inside, seeing that violence could erupt this weekend :)