How Do You Reply?

tigerfish

Many people think that 'English' is the same as 'British'. It is not!

People who are English are from the country of England. On the other hand, British people are people who live in Great Britain (Britain) and the UK.

All though everyone in the UK has a British citizenship they have different nationalities

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the responce to the thread people. i have read it through, and found it interesting as to how you reply to the question.

i understand that it can be somewhat of a pain to be asked maybe sometimes more than once in a day "where do you come from" and it can be in all sorts of different situations. from being touted to buy something, to meeting a new aquintance for the very first time.

for me though it is important when being asked, to tell the person where i come from. no matter what the circumstances. living in a foreign land as i choose being married to a thai woman, has its positives and negatives sides to life out here in the LOS. the positves though by far outway anything that my homeland would ever have to offer me or my wife had we chosen to live there.

that does not take away from the fact though, that i love my country and am proud to be an englishman. it may state on my passport that i am a british national from the u.k., but i am sure if you were to say to a scotsman (for example) that he were british. he would only be to quick to point out, first and foremost that he was of scottish nationality.

same goes here, im a londoner born and bred. a (gooner for life) till the day i die and am english. we may be a small country, and their may be those back home at the moment that are trying their best to take away a lot of what has to do with our heritage and national indentity. you will generally find though that we are a passionate lot, with big hearts that stick together when the going gets tuff and come out the other side when anything is thrown at us.

as they say, you can take an englishman out of england, but you cant take the english out of the man.

cheers, tigerfish.

I have no problem telling my nationality to anyone. And to be honest the only people who seem to have a problem with my nationality are other farangs who are unable to realize that 1 person does not equal nor represent the entire government of his home country.

Ugh, good grief, I remember being pestered by an Austrian man at a bar about Governor Schwarzenegger's re-election chances. All good and well that he should wonder about an Austrian politician in America, but I grew up in Oregon, not California.

I've given up telling taxi drivers that I support Plymouth Argyle. They have no idea what I'm talking about. Far easier to say Liverpool and extend the conversation, so I can practice my Thai.

I've given up telling taxi drivers that I support Plymouth Argyle. They have no idea what I'm talking about. Far easier to say Liverpool and extend the conversation, so I can practice my Thai.

I would rather not practice my Thai If it required suggesting I was a scouser supporter. Better to stick the Argyle line and live with it.

Edited by Edmond

Oh my GAWD, not an ARSENAL fan! But, I'll forgive you that little peccadillo. :D

I just tell them the truth. "I'm from Canada"... even though I'm often mistaken for American. I just take that insult lightly. :D Us Canadians are too polite to let it bother us. :D

I just tell them I'm from America, even though I'm often mistaken for a Canadian, eh? Not to worry, I take it as a compliment as those "Canuks" are so darn polite despite the fact that they didn't get a star on the U.S. flag for being the 51st State in the Union! Hee hee! (a little Canadian humor coming through). :)

Bet they check your money isn't forged, when you pay the fare!!

:):D

Them: "Where you from?" or "Where did you grow up?"

Me: "America"

Them: "Which state?"

Me: "Many. I moved a lot."

Them: "Which state did you spend the most time?"

Me, getting very annoyed: "Mostly paranoia, anxiety and confusion."

I remain puzzled by Brits who insist they're English. And care about soccer clubs and ales. I insist I'm from Texas :),

Why would you be puzzled ??

How would you feel if i said you were from Iowa ??

Same difference, ( Great ) Britain is made up of 4 Countries, USA is made up of 52 States, you insist you're from Texas & i insist i'm from England, & proud of it too, like you i'd assume..:D

For over 50 years - 50 states.

Depends who I'm talking to and my mood. Some of my replies:

-America

-California (most common)

-City I'm from in California (well-known)

-Sukhumvit

-Bangkok

-Krungthep

-Isaan

The last four I give mostly to Thai girls I meet while drinking, the last one to bar girls.

the reply depends on the circumstances...if at the supermarket in saudi after prayers at 12 onna Friday when there are various scowling arabs or south asians with pashtun pancake hats around I respond 'who me? I from Bolivia!' then babble on a bit in Spanish with a few quechua words thrown in, maybe do a few steps from the cueca - a traditional andean dance...

in a friendlier environment I just say California an' most people know what I'm talkin' about without further questions...

don't get asked much in Thailand as I don't speak to many thais except for the wife's family and their associates an' they all know what my story is anyway...

Hi :)

Specially taxi drivers love to ask that question, only to come back with something that can at times be REALLY annoying......

"Where you come from?"

"Germany"

"Oh, bundesliga! Who you like, Munich or Hamburg?" (<deleted>?????)

"Where you come from?"

"Germany"

"Oh, Mercedes, BMW. Very good country! I love you!" (<deleted>????)

"Where you come from?"

"Germany"

*silence for a minute* "Oh, Adolf Hitler your president! Good good" (get me outta here!!!!!!)

Ever since that last one i play stupid.

"Where you come from?"

"7-Eleven"

*silence* "No, where you live?"

"Bangna"

*usually changes topic or remains silent*

I don't mind at all to tell them where i am from but i hate being stuffed with cliches right after - i have never been interested in football/soccer, hence have no idea who's in the bundesliga or who will win it this year. I have never owned a Benz or BMW either and likely never will. I also know only a few of the German beer brands and for sure Heineken is NOT one of them. And no, i don't want "lady massage" despite being from Germany!

Best regards.....

Thanh

Them: "Where you from?" or "Where did you grow up?"

Me: "America"

Them: "Which state?"

Me: "Many. I moved a lot."

Them: "Which state did you spend the most time?"

Me, getting very annoyed: "Mostly paranoia, anxiety and confusion."

That's a good point. I have lived in many different US states. I really can't say which state I come from but people often ask. I am sure they don't my life story, so I just say one of them and that shuts them up.