101 Reasons To Learn Thai

MacWalen

I thought it would be a nice thing to know what are people's reasons to learn Thai. For those out there who still do not speak Thai at all and are considering learning it this could be a great encouragement. If you could give one reason each and stay on the topic it would be appreciated.

1 ?

So that you can tell all those half wit English people complaining about Pakistani immigrant to England that don't English:" well do you speak Thai?...how long have you been here?" <deleted> hypocrites

Nice topic mac.

Same reason as I learned how to strip and rebuild an engine, rewire a house and plumb my own toilet:

6. so I don't have to rely on others to do something I could just as easily do myself.

Edited by SoftWater

3. so you can chat to all thai girls not just the ones who speak english!

4. So that you can tell the taxi driver "Sawat Dee", "trong pai", "sai", "khwa", "yoodt" "khop khun", "chook dee", "khor tut", and most of all "cha-cha".

(Copyright 2553, Sean Moran.)

My count is 10 so far, it helps to put a number next to your reason so we do not get confused with numbering. Great reasons! We have 91 to go!

11. You can usually get a better price if you politely bargain in Thai.

Keep them coming.

Nice topic mac.

Same reason as I learned how to strip and rebuild an engine, rewire a house and plumb my own toilet:

6. so I don't have to rely on others to do something I could just as easily do myself.

The intellectual challenge.

Seeing a side of Thailand that few foreigners ever see.

Edited by eljefe2

I can't think of any reasons that have not already been stated above. I do, however, want to express my kudos to MacWalen for his ability to create exciting infomercials to which readers of this forum will gladly respond. He is a brilliant marketer: despite the sometimes negative feedback, he realizes that there is no such thing as bad publicity.

My hat is off to you!

1. I don't want to be illiterate.

2. I have no use or respect, for people who have been living in Canada for many years and don't take the time to learn one of it's two official languages (English or French). Therefore, I choose not to fall into that category in Thailand.

3. I pay Thai prices for a lot more things, which in some cases is way cheaper

4. I understand what people are saying about me and can choose not to do business with them, if they ar rude behind my back.

5. Learning a new language is good for the memory. I suffer from head injuries and learning Thai is helping me to stay focused and to exercise the few braincells I have left ;-)

6. I can talk to my father-in-law, whom I love and respect

7. I can communicate with the few Thai friends I have

8. I can ask for directions, when I'm lost (something my wife still hates to do ;-)

9. I was able to have a limited conversation with our Thai customers, when we had the restaurant

10. I make better deals for our company, when purchasing products from Thailand

There are many reasons to learn Thai, but I would say the main reason for me is, that I don't want to be thought of as an illiterate, arrogant foreigner, who wants to live here, but doesn't even want to take the time to learn the local language.

It's not an easy language to learn. I found English and Spanish to be a lot easier (my native language is German). I know there are many language schools out there. What worked for me, was the Conversational Thai course, at AUA, in Chiang Mai. I took a couple of levels with Ajaan Boonmark, who is very funny and entertaining and a good teacher. It was a great experience and I still remember most of the names, or the people, I took my original course with.

It does take practice though. Taking the courses, needs to be followed up by interaction with Thai people afterwards, otherwise, it is very easy to forget again.

I'm far from speaking or understanding Thai perfectly. In fact, if I understand 75%, I am lucky, but the good thing is, when people ask me, if I speak Thai, I don't have to answer "Nit Noi" and then not be able to say or understand anything else. Doing that, just makes foreigners look like idiots

I think, to travel to another country and expect the population to speak or understand English, is idiotic. It's up to the traveller or and/or Expat to make himself understood.

Having said that, it is nice, to have so many people making the effort to respond in English, here in Thailand. It makes life a lot easier :-)

• 4 weeks later...

To be more cultured. And I don't mean just impressing friends back home, but going really deep into the culture of Thailand was a huge self-learning self-improvement experience for me.

Plus, you'll get the feeling that you fit in and belong here if you can talk with the natives. They'll treat you like a Thai if you can speak Thai.

My count is 10 so far, it helps to put a number next to your reason so we do not get confused with numbering. Great reasons! We have 91 to go!

11. You can usually get a better price if you politely bargain in Thai.

Keep them coming.

pom ao rien pasaa thai, rongrien Walen hai suanlot hasip %, mai? :)