Abhisit Cancels Trip To Australia To Handle Potential Violence

webfact

PM may cancel trip to Australia to handle potential violence

BANGKOK: -- The Prime Minister says he will cancel his plan to visit Australia if a state of emergency is issued in Bangkok. While the New Politics Party's Secretary-General has called on the premier to stay in the capital to command security measures.

In his weekly program on Sunday, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva insisted that he will scrap his plans to visit Australia, which was scheduled for between March 13 and 17 if a state of emergency is issued --due to possible turmoil during the upcoming demonstration by the Red-Shirts.

He revealed that there might be an attempt to incite turmoil during the upcoming mass street protest being held in mid-March by the Red-Shirt people, as some parties have vowed to do so.

The Premier said he will discuss security measures today with the Bangkok Governor and district chiefs.

All relevant agencies are coordinating to keep a close watch on the situation.

In addition, he also called on the general public, including people involved in the Red-Shirt movement, to oppose those who plan to instigate violence-- saying they should express their objections to the violence and inform security officers immediately.

He added that all sides should remain calm and be more open to different opinions.

Concerning the former prime minister's actions, in which he tried to instigate anger via a video appearance, Abhisit said it is difficult to prevent this, but says Thaksin will face hash penalties if found guilty of orchestrating a violence-oriented movement.

Secretary-General of New Politics Party, Suriyasai Katasila has urged the soft-spoken Premier to stay in the capital to oversee security, as the top priority is to maintain peace in the Kingdom.

He warned that a confrontation between the parties may lead to another coup d'etat.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-03-08

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

"He revealed that there might be an attempt to incite turmoil during the upcoming mass street protest being held in mid-March by the Red-Shirt people, as some parties have vowed to do so."

Definitions of fifth column on the Web:

* a subversive group that supports the enemy and engages in espionage or sabotage; an enemy in your midst

I did find it an odd sign to hear Abhisit wasn't going to be here during the protest times. It sounded like a hint that a coup was coming.

Why, the military dont take any notice of him and from what I read in all news articles neither does any one else. He dosen't want them to loose face? as we have all read. ie the bomb detector.

UPDATE

PM cancels trip to Australia

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva decides to cancel his trip to Australia as red shirts plan to hold a mass rally this weekend.

"No, I'm not going," the prime minister said when asked whether he would go to Australia scheduled between March 13 and 17.

Pro-Thaksin protesters announce to hold a three-day mass rally, staring this Friday. The highlight will be on Sunday at Sanam Luang.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-08

I did find it an odd sign to hear Abhisit wasn't going to be here during the protest times. It sounded like a hint that a coup was coming.

Who cares if there is a coup or not. I have my car here. Can easy sell it and leave if things get to bad. I just feel sorry for all them farangs who brought .. oppps sorry i mean rented a house for 30 years . Stuck here for 30 years. Then i would be very worried. This place makes Zimbawae look like a good place to live at the moment. :)

Edited by dave30

Personally think he wanted to send a message he wouldn't be held to ransom. With all the coup comparisons being made it would galvanise his position if he returned and continued as normal after the demonstrations.

Completely off topic, but (and don't laugh) you wouldn't also happen to be Dr PP? Just a mutual forum friend of ours PM'd me with this accusation over the weekend.

Thai Prime Minister cancels Australia trip as ISA implementation mulled

BANGKOK: -- Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has cancelled a long-planned trip to Australia as security officials mulled implementingThailand’s draconian Internal Security Act ahead of this weekends million man march by pro-democracy, anti-government protesters.

Mr. Abhisit announced his decision to cancel the five-day long trip about 2pm Monday, while a meeting of the government-appointed security monitoring committee chaired by deputy prime minister Suthep Thaugsuban was taking place.

It is widely tipped the security monitoring committee will announce the implementation of the ISa later this afternoon.

The ISA provides security forces with sweeping powers including:

(1) to have relevant government officials implement any action, or withhold the

implementation of any action;

(2) to prohibit entry or exit at a locality, building, or designated area unless with

permission from a competent officer or unless a person has been granted an exemption;

(3) to prohibit exit from dwelling places within a designated time;

(4) to prohibit meetings or gathering in public places when it appears that those meetings or gatherings will create inconvenience for the people using that public place, and may give rise to public disorder;

(5) to prohibit the carrying of weapons outside dwelling places;

(6) to prohibit the use of communication routes or vehicles or to impose conditions on the use of communication routes or vehicles;

(7) to order persons to perform or not perform any action in connection with electronic equipment in order to guard against danger to life, limb, or property of the people.

thaivisa-news.png

-- thaivisa.com 2010-03-08

Starting to get a little sticky. :)

I still believe it is a lot hot air, and not much substance to RED ability to create too much problem. But i think is a good idea for Abisit to show leadership to stay here to assure public about their safety

Personally think he wanted to send a message he wouldn't be held to ransom. With all the coup comparisons being made it would galvanise his position if he returned and continued as normal after the demonstrations.

Completely off topic, but (and don't laugh) you wouldn't also happen to be Dr PP? Just a mutual forum friend of ours PM'd me with this accusation over the weekend.

I disagree. I think not being here would be seen by the people as being cowardly in the face of danger and not in control of the situation. He does have good reason to fear for his own safety, sadly, that's the situation when you are dealing with a violent terrorist movement.

Your outrageous personal accusation deserves no response at all. Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

Violent terrorist movement? I thought the yellows had quietened down.

People want to make their voices heard in a peaceful way and you have them hung, drawn and quartered as terrorists :)

Nice try again to rewrite history. The attacks on Abhisit during Black Songkran are documented. They were red attacks. The red movement is very violent. Telling the big lie a million times doesn't make the lie the Truth (Today).

Edited by Jingthing

I disagree. I think not being here would be seen by the people as being cowardly in the face of danger and not in control of the situation. He does have good reason to fear for his own safety, sadly, that's the situation when you are dealing with a violent terrorist movement.

This can be twisted in many ways. The trip to Aus has been planned for quite a while, so is most likely the reason why the reds decided to have their protest this weekend.

If he goes, that just shows that he doesn't think the reds are a big issue and also won't be held to ransom.

OR

If he goes, that just shows that he's a coward and and not in control.

IMO, I don't think there will be coup. It won't acheive anything. The army is *mainly* behind Abhisit, so there is there will be nothing gained by ousting him. The army can step in and control security if the reds get too violent without the need for a coup to do it. If Abhisit loses control, then the army has lost control (... unless ofcourse, Abhisit doesn't want to do what the army wants to, to keep control, but I don't think that will happen.)

People want to make their voices heard in a peaceful way and you have them hung, drawn and quartered as terrorists :)

Nice try again to rewrite history. The attacks on Abhisit during Black Songkran are documented. They were red attacks. The red movement is very violent. Telling the big lie a million times doesn't make the lie the Truth (Today).

So using this logic you would also say that the yellow shirts are violent terrorists, is this correct? Your answer will be my basis as to whether or not I take your posts seriously or just read them as the biased vitriol that they appear to be.

I wouldn't call a riot an act of terrorism by the way, I would call it civil disobedience, however taking over an airport and taking over the government seat, now there are acts of terrorism.

So using this logic you would also say that the yellow shirts are violent terrorists, is this correct? Your answer will be my basis as to whether or not I take your posts seriously or just read them as the biased vitriol that they appear to be.

I wouldn't call a riot an act of terrorism by the way, I would call it civil disobedience, however taking over an airport and taking over the government seat, now there are acts of terrorism.

Dont want to crash the party but here's my two cents....

I wouldnt disagree with that analysis. I would add that I would also consider driving an LPG tanker into a poor residential neighbourhood and threatening to explode it was also terrorism however

Trying to blow up gas tanks is hardly civil.

The yellows took over the airport without violence (not defending this, just pointing out it was non-violent). This was a huge inconvenience, but it was hardly terrorism.

The reds broke down doors and windows in violent protests 'terrorising' heads of state in Pattaya.

Dont want to crash the party but here's my two cents....

I wouldnt disagree with that analysis. I would add that I would also consider driving an LPG tanker into a poor residential neighbourhood and threatening to explode it was also terrorism however

This is a fair point, as we know there is no internationally agreed principle on what terrorism is so each nation has a different classification, however the line has to be drawn somewhere, if I threaten to hit you then in a way I am terrorising you, so the political aspect is added otherwise every drunk on a saturday night would be terrorists. The reds actions were politically motivated this is true but I still see them as an act of civil disobedience, that said you have a good point with the truck, providing people suspected they had the means to detonate it.

However taking over the seat of government and effectively forcing the closure of an airport by making it impossible for the airport to operate safely can not really be seen as anything other than terrorist acts.

just my opinion.

Trying to blow up gas tanks is hardly civil.

The yellows took over the airport without violence (not defending this, just pointing out it was non-violent). This was a huge inconvenience, but it was hardly terrorism.

The reds broke down doors and windows in violent protests 'terrorising' heads of state in Pattaya.

the yellows took of the seat of government, they attacked policemen trying to defend parliament, they attacked tv stations and radio stations, they forced the closure of an international airport.

These can all easily be construed as acts of terrorism.

let me ask you this, if these acts had been committed by the reds would you call them acts of terrorism, of if the yellows had comitted the reds acts would you call them acts of terrorism.

Try and be balanced mate or you just end up looking to be biased and ignoring the obvious. The yellows are just as bad as the reds if not worse.

The reds actions were politically motivated this is true but I still see them as an act of civil disobedience, that said you have a good point with the truck, providing people suspected they had the means to detonate it.

However taking over the seat of government and effectively forcing the closure of an airport by making it impossible for the airport to operate safely can not really be seen as anything other than terrorist acts.

OK. let's take the 'terrorism' out of it and talk about 'civil disobedience' and 'violence'.

The yellows took over the airport. No one was injured. For the couple of weeks that they were there, there was only one cracked window. That is disobedient, not violent.

The reds protested last Songkran. Two people were killed (not reds). They threatened to blow up a gas tanker. That is violent, and way more than disobedient.

Nice try from you also; how about the yellow shirts driving vehicles into a policeman, spearing the police with a sharp flag pole, shooting the police, and shooting at other protesters, kidnapping of police officer and beating him up, killing one of there own and stuffing his body in the airport....Please give me a break. This is not a lie it is all on film!!!!!!

I am not a Red shirt and I am not a Yellow shirt, but all of you opinionated Falangs need not to pick a side either, it is not your country and it is not your fight.

But the facts are neither of the colors should be allowed to do what they do and both groups should be answerable to the law and not be treated as a favorite son.

Edited by cougar52

JT...One thing that is certain in Thailand is that a coup is coming,just when is the question. :)

JT...One thing that is certain in Thailand is that a coup is coming,just when is the question. :)

Possibly, but that wouldn't be a good thing. However, given the mess going on now, its hard to see any resolution or even stopgap measure that wouldn't be very unpleasant.

Who cares if there is a coup or not. I have my car here. Can easy sell it and leave if things get to bad. I just feel sorry for all them farangs who brought .. oppps sorry i mean rented a house for 30 years . Stuck here for 30 years. Then i would be very worried. This place makes Zimbawae look like a good place to live at the moment. :)

Not sure why you think a coup is the end of the world.. A coup = direct government by the military-bureaucratic establishment, compared to these guys merely guiding the elected government. It's a minor difference, all things considered. Also, a Democrat/military leaning government works pretty well for most retired foreigner's lifestyles. ( It works less well for the majority of poorer Thais, of course. )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Another "balanced" post by "not-a-red" tonywebster. Tony is not obfuscating at all he has just forgotten why Samak had to call a SoE, Sae Daeng's threatened grenade attacks that happened at Gov't house and the airport, various minor scuffles, the man savagely beaten then killed in Chiang Mai, the events in Udon, Songkran 2009, Sae Daeng's recent threats, the Youtube video by K Thong. the recent grenade attacks, etc etc. I am sure that not recalling that the reds have a very real and prolonged history of violence and are still threatening more just escaped toneywebster's memory.

Not sure why you think a coup is the end of the world.. A coup = direct government by the military-bureaucratic establishment, compared to these guys merely guiding the elected government. It's a minor difference, all things considered. Also, a Democrat/military leaning government works pretty well for most retired foreigner's lifestyles. ( It works less well for the majority of poorer Thais, of course. )

Never said its the end of the world. The last coup government was not effective and the country went backwards, not forwards. Someday Thailand has to get its act together if it ever hopes to complete in the competitive modern world. So it needs to move forward, and if not, which is possible, the poverty problems so many are legitimately complaining about, will only get more severe.