Looking For Agood Builder

sinkorswim

I have decided to take the plunge and build my own house. Before I get all the dont do it remarks. I can only imagine the stress I am about to recieve, but I have looked at a lot of developments and with land prices the way they are you get nothing for your money.

I already have the plot of land which is just over 1 rai so am looking to start within the next couple of months. I am looking for personal recomendations if possible of builders/contractors that other TV members have used.

I do plan on living in the house for the rest of my life so making money does not come in to it but, saying that I do want to get what i pay for. I have heard so many times that people build houses for X amount only to find out they are worth a lot less.

Any recomendations will be followed through and I appreciate any constructive comments and advice from anyone who has "been there, done that".

regards

sinkorswim

There is a regular add by Euro Design and Build Co.LTD. in the CM mail offering the full package Call Shaun 0 5040 5401 or Graeme 0 4611

They seem top notch but have no experience with them or know their reputation. They do offer references.

I built my own custom house in Chaing Mai, but I used the crew from the developers to build according to my house plans. All the usual horror stories, but on the whole I did all right when I compare with what is out there.

Building a custom home in any country is always problematic and in Thailand it is not different. When I read the add mentioned, I fanatasize that such an entity exists anywhere in the world and that they deliver at a reasonable price, chances are, even if they are good, you will pay for their efforts so your costs will be much higher.

Most say 6500 Baht per square meter is the cheapest you can do and up to 12k per sq. meter for the upper end. I did mine for 6500 but there were a lot of niceties, I added out of my own pocket. I ended up paying 10k per sq. meter but that did include cabinetry.

Have you got round to the plans stage yet? I had my own ideas as to the layout of the house, but needed someone who could turn them into architectural drawings, for planning permission etc. Cost only 15,000 for very detailed drawings. He doesn't speak English, but I recommend him. PM me for his phone number. We haven't started building yet, so I can't recommend him for that yet.

I'd be concerned about using a farang-run company from a legal standpoint, since the restricted professions list seems to cover just about any aspect of such a job from accounting to designing to supervising to building... They can't even act as an agent, according to that list. And don't forget that 'thinking' is working, too, according to those anal karachagans at the Labour office

What about doing some visits to building sites to get an idea of the construction quality? Maybe you can get some leads that way....

Restricted Professions for foreigners (Partial list)

1. laboring

3. masonry, carpentry or other construction work

8. accountancy supervision, auditing or services in the accounting field (except occasional internal auditing)

28. brokerage or agency work (except international business)

29. engineering work, civil engineering branch, which involves designing, drawing, calculation, organization, research, planning, testing, construction supervision or advisory work (except work requiring specialized skills)

30. architectural work involving designing, drawing or estimating as well as construction supervision or advisory work

37. clerical or secretarial work

38. legal or litigation service.

I'd be concerned about using a farang-run company from a legal standpoint, since the restricted professions list seems to cover just about any aspect of such a job from accounting to designing to supervising to building... They can't even act as an agent, according to that list.  And don't forget that 'thinking' is working, too, according to those anal karachagans at the Labour office

What about doing some visits to building sites to get an idea of the construction quality? Maybe you can get some leads that way....

Restricted Professions for foreigners (Partial list)

1. laboring

3. masonry, carpentry or other construction work

8. accountancy supervision, auditing or services in the accounting field (except occasional internal auditing)

28. brokerage or agency work (except international business)

29. engineering work, civil engineering branch, which involves designing, drawing, calculation, organization, research, planning, testing, construction supervision or advisory work (except work requiring specialized skills).

30. architectural work involving designing, drawing or estimating as well as construction supervision or advisory work

37. clerical or secretarial work

38. legal or litigation service.

thanks for that i hadnt thought of it that way i have actually been in touch with the company mentioned. but have not yet recieved a response.

i have been round several developments and seen some fantastic houses that would be ideal.

not sure though if they do this sort of think on a private contract basis.

i did go to the Land and House development and was very impressed by the build quality but the prices where extortionate.

still looking for personal recomendations though.

all advice gratefully recieved.

cheers

I chose a development where the construction quality was good, the location of the development was where I wanted to live and made a deal with th developer to pay any expense above "standard".

He payed the architect who finalized my floor plans and he did develope custom building costs that were about 250k above standard costs per sq. meter.

However, I didn't end up paying them as my sq. meter size was almost twice the "standard" size so I was entitled to credits for almost twice the number of fixtures, electric outlets, etc. which wiped out my overage.

You have clearly decided what you want to pay for your house so find a development where the builder's costs per sq. meter for his standard house approximates what you will pay. House and Land is expensive because of the very finish detail you want.

I did most of my own finish detail including baseboards, mouldings, kitchen etc. so I could get the quality I wanted without paying the developer for his profit on the same work.

If you get a developer to build your shell, put in your windows, install rough plumbing and electic, you can have the rest of the job done by locals and save a bundle.

The advantage of going with the developer is that you have some assurance he will get the job done (include a penalty provision for late completion) that the streets, water and electric are in and to the lot. Also include a telephone line and number in your deal.

If your "design" is not too radical, you should find a developer who will do the house providing you follow his overall exterior finish detail in conformance with his project. This is especially true if you approach it from a "few custom features" that expand until you get what you want.

If the developer is getting the same money per sq. meter that he gets for his standard house and you are willing to pick up any "extras" over and above his "standard", he should be protected, as from what I have learned, it is the land profit that they do it for, not the profit off the house.

You will note that most of the developments are located well off major roads with just their access road costing them any money. The land they are developing is farm land without road access, so they get it real cheap and then make a bundle when they bring in the water, road and electric. If you have alread bought your lot, then the foregoing is of no value to you specifically, but may help others.

I chose a development where the construction quality was good, the location of the development was where I wanted to live and made a deal with th developer to pay any expense above "standard". 

He payed the architect who finalized my floor plans and he did develope custom building costs that were about 250k above standard costs per sq. meter.

However, I didn't end up paying them as my sq. meter size was almost twice the "standard" size so I was entitled to credits for almost twice the number of fixtures, electric outlets, etc. which wiped out my overage.

You have clearly decided what you want to pay for your house so find a development where the builder's costs per sq. meter for his standard house approximates what you will pay.  House and Land is expensive because of the very finish detail you want.

I did most of my own finish detail including baseboards, mouldings, kitchen etc. so I could get the quality I wanted without paying the developer for his profit on the same work.

If you get a developer to build your shell, put in your windows, install rough plumbing and electic, you can have the rest of the job done by locals and save a bundle.

The advantage of going with the developer is that you have some assurance he will get the job done (include a penalty provision for late completion) that the streets, water and electric are in and to the lot.  Also include a telephone line and number in your deal.

If your "design" is not too radical, you should find a developer who will do the house providing you follow his overall exterior finish detail in conformance with his project. This is especially true if you approach it from a "few custom features" that expand until you get what you want.

If the developer is getting the same money per sq. meter that he gets for his standard house and you are willing to pick up any "extras" over and above his "standard", he should be protected, as from what I have learned, it is the land profit that they do it for, not the profit off the house.

You will note that most of the developments are located well off major roads with just their access road costing them any money.  The land they are developing is farm land without road access, so they get it real cheap and then make a bundle when they bring in the water, road and electric.  If you have alread bought your lot, then the foregoing is of no value to you specifically, but may help others.

Sorry about my first attempt, anyway after reading what Ajarn said about the legal side with using a farang building company. It made me think , but wasn't K-Tech which was one of Thailands largest Construction comps run by the late Bob K who had a British passport. Also how does the likes of B Bensley, and the advisers from the likes of Sunbelt Asia get around this.

Please don't take this out of context , but Ajarn you seem to know a bit about the matter ,can you please enlighten me.

Cheers

not long after my post the guys from euro design go in touch.

where really helpfull and give me some advice on what to do without trying to give me the hard sell.

i will still be seeking personal recomendations from people so lets have them.

regards

sinkorswim

Hi all, everyday reader, infrequent poster. Anyway, planning on retiring in Thailand next year and I read all the stuff about building a house in Thailand. Sounds like a real adventure. :o

By my guestimation, I could build a 1800 sq/ft home (165sq/mtr, I think) for about 35,000 USD at 8000bt a square meter. Sound about right? (sounds to good to be true)

(then there's the little obsticles of farang owning land/house to overcome)

Sorry about my first attempt, anyway  after reading what Ajarn said about the legal side with using a farang building company.  It made me think , but wasn't K-Tech which was one of Thailands largest Construction comps run by  the late Bob K  who had a British passport.  Also how does the likes of B Bensley, and the advisers from the likes of Sunbelt Asia get around this.

Please don't take this out of context , but Ajarn you seem to know a bit about the matter ,can you please enlighten me.

Cheers

I really don't 'know' anything about this. I'm Just quoting from the law... I did see some provision for some international companies with branch offices, so maybe that's how some can work here?

Just a thought towards helping someone to cover their ass here, an all-important concern in Thailand, if you ask me. :D

Buyer Beware, as always :o

My twopenth , well i know K-Tech was set up in Bk , and only this week i saw two adverts in the Bk post looking for non Thai construction managers in Thailand, both Thai regestered farang companies and doing multi million dollar projects .Both probably a lot more clued up with Thai law than the likes of me and Ajarn by the sounds of it. I don't want to be opening up a can of worms but surely if a company is vat reg, any farang employies have wp's and work within what is stated , then would ok for me.

Understand your concern over legalities , but even the most safest laws over here have clauses that could cause concern. I would be more worried about being ripped of or having a sub standard job done , farang or Thai.

Cheers

My twopenth  , well i know K-Tech was set up in Bk , and only this week i saw two adverts in the Bk post looking for non Thai construction managers in Thailand, both Thai regestered farang companies and doing multi million dollar projects .Both probably a lot more clued up with Thai law than the likes of me and Ajarn by the sounds of it.                                                                                  I don't want to be opening up a can of worms but  surely if a company is vat reg, any farang employies have wp's and work within what is stated  , then would ok for me.

Understand your concern over legalities , but even the most safest laws over here have clauses that could cause concern.  I would be more worried about being ripped of or having a sub standard job done , farang or Thai.   

Cheers

Agreed. LOTS of pitfalls here for the unwary AND the wary :o

Click on this link. It shows the work of the builder I used, after fairly extensive investigation. He may be maxed out right now, or he might not take you if you want too much say, or have too many "owner provided items" (like, Anderson windows). He actually designed my place, as I didn't have anything really specific in mind. And no real post construction problems -- but the few I had were warranted (like some paint fades).

Chiang Mai Builder

Have you tiried Bob?

it might help if i new who bob was?

No matter who you use.

Get a lawyer, Get a lawyer, Get a lawyer

Doesn't cost much and it is truly the only way to protect yourself

Detailed plans !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same as above

You might also want to check out Thailand Expat Buidlers Guide

Edited by ray23

Click on this link. It shows the work of the builder I used, after fairly extensive investigation. He may be maxed out right now, or he might not take you if you want too much say, or have too many "owner provided items" (like, Anderson windows). He actually designed my place, as I didn't have anything really specific in mind. And no real post construction problems -- but the few I had were warranted (like some paint fades).

No offense, since we all have differing tastes, but those are some really ugly structures.

I have found a high-quality architect who has worked with falangs for a long time and has some 40 quality workers in his employ. Not only are his drawings of the highest quality but we have seen the results of his contruction work and it is most impressive!

It may take me a bit to respond but if you send me a personal email, I will be happy to turn you on to this guy after most of our work is done (3-4 weeks). I have been researching this for over two years and promise that I will not pass on info if this guy is anything less than exceptional...

da Dustoff