How Good Do We Drive Compared To...a Thai?

Was reading this when I got this so i thought I would share.

6. Variation Law - If you change lines (or traffic lanes), the one you were in will always move faster than the one you are in now (works every time).

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't imagine for a minute that their opinion of their driving skills is any different to that of drivers anywhere else in the world. No-one will admit to being a lousy driver, why should they be any different? In any case, whatever their faults, I don't observe in Thailand the self-righteous agression that is ingrained in the majority of UK drivers these days.

You dont drive in Phuket I take it..

another 10 generations and maybe they'll be evolved enough to operate an automobile. worst thing is the hit and runs, like in china, where people drive on by if there's a bad accident. i have been the only one to help in some bad accidents, while otheres told me they don't wanna pay money if they would accidentally hurt the "already injured" victim.

they are more yielding than drivers in the west..but then, you never know when one is gonna pull out in front of you...can't help excess horn honkage at that.

too bad they can't give way to the ambulances...maybe thats the point that needs imptoved the most..

Something things to consider.

Thailand has some 125 people/km2. That's a bit less than the density in Florida which is 131 people/km2. Climate isn't that different.

According to the Florida Department of Transportation, there were 16.46 Million vehicles registered there in 2008. At some 19 Million residents, there are 87 vehicles/100 residents. Thailand had 25 Million vehicles registered in 2006, and at some 62 Million residents there were some 40 vehicles/100 residents.

Furthermore, Florida had 2,983 traffic fatalities in 2008 compared with Thailand's 19.2....per 100 000 residents (or some 12 069 total).

So, while Thailand is less densely populated, has fewer motor vehicles (and that's counting motorcycles) per resident, it had 4 times as many deaths (and that's not counting the hit and run fender benders that are endemic in Thailand) than Florida had!

That statistical graph on Automobile death rate is a bit biased.

Its hard to die in a crash you avg 10 mph.

It depends on who you ask but I actually think Thais are better drivers than the ones from the States if you disregard the traffic rule abidance.

I could of fallen asleep in the fast lane on a 3 lane toll way road while I drift to the left shoulder and have every driver to the left of me yielding to avoid a collision. Try that in the States.

Thais are better aware of their surroundings.

What constitutes good? Being able to maneuver or abide by traffic laws?

Edited by tangcoral

Thailand has some 125 people/km2. That's a bit less than the density in Florida which is 131 people/km2. Climate isn't that different.

According to the Florida Department of Transportation, there were 16.46 Million vehicles registered there in 2008. At some 19 Million residents, there are 87 vehicles/100 residents. Thailand had 25 Million vehicles registered in 2006, and at some 62 Million residents there were some 40 vehicles/100 residents.

Furthermore, Florida had 2,983 traffic fatalities in 2008 compared with Thailand's 19.2....per 100 000 residents (or some 12 069 total).

So, while Thailand is less densely populated, has fewer motor vehicles (and that's counting motorcycles) per resident, it had 4 times as many deaths (and that's not counting the hit and run fender benders that are endemic in Thailand) than Florida had!

Comparing apples to oranges, there are far more motorbikes in Thailand which greatly increases the risk of dying in an accident.

Thailand also is much more lenient when it comes to drunk driving laws.

Wonder how many of those 12,069 are from drunk driving and motorbike related death.

I'm guessing more than half.

Edited by tangcoral

That statistical graph on Automobile death rate is a bit biased.

Its hard to die in a crash you avg 10 mph.

It depends on who you ask but I actually think Thais are better drivers than the ones from the States if you disregard the traffic rule abidance.

I could of fallen asleep in the fast lane on 3 lane toll way and drift to the left shoulder and have every driver to the left of me yielding to avoid a collision. Try that in the States.

Thais are better aware of their surroundings.

What constitutes good? Being able to maneuver or abide by traffic laws?

One last set of numbers, there are 48.7 vehicles/km2 in Thailand and 96.7 vehicles/km2 in Florida. So how do you explain that for 1/2 the density of vehicles they have 4x the number of fatalities? I.E., every time you go out to drive in Florida, covering the same distance you would in Thailand should put you near 2 twice as many vehicles and yet you're only 1/4 as likely to be killed...

Seriously, anyway you look at it (if I could find the numbers for millions of km traveled it would totally embarrass the Thaiphiles), Thais are much more dangerous behind a wheel than people from the States are. I don't know what you're going on about with the 10 mph remark; I read somewhere that there's something like a 1/3 of all vehicles in BKK area, doesn't traffic travel about that speed there and aren't there plenty of deaths?

Comparing apples to oranges, there are far more motorbikes in Thailand which greatly increases the risk of dying in an accident.

Thailand also is much more lenient when it comes to drunk driving laws.

Wonder how many of those 12,069 are from drunk driving and motorbike related death.

I'm guessing more than half.

But if they were such good drivers those motorcyclists would be perfectly safe!

And I'd hope (as bad as that sounds) those deaths from motorcycles would be more than 1/2 since the link I provided clearly stated that 64% of all the vehicles registered were motorbikes.

And throwing drunk driving in is a red herring; that's still driving poorly! If you're not intelligent enough not to drive drunk, than you're not intelligent enough to safely operate a motor vehicle.

Edited by dave_boo

Is it fair to say how well you drive depends on how well you abide the traffic rules?

Thais are wreckless because there are barely any policing.

And I'm sure culture as a whole has some affect on how well one drives.

How patient or impatient, how aggressive or passive, courteous or selfish etc...

But if they were such good drivers those motorcyclists would be perfectly safe!

And I'd hope (as bad as that sounds) those deaths from motorcycles would be more than 1/2 since the link I provided clearly stated that 64% of all the vehicles registered were motorbikes.

And throwing drunk driving in is a red herring; that's still driving poorly! If you're not intelligent enough not to drive drunk, than you're not intelligent enough to safely operate a motor vehicle.

Well if you look it at that way, saying an individual that can safely operate a motor vehicle would constitute as a good driver then I agree your posts.

Lets give a Thai a manual gearbox and lets see how they cope then :D:)

I know many Thais who are very good drivers. There’re lots of foreigners who passed a theoretical and practical test, but they still don’t know how to drive a car, especially in Thailand.

I think the big reason for so many poor Thai drivers is just a lack of any real driver education system and pre-license testing. I sent my girlfriend to a driving school a few years ago and her instructor told her not to look in the rear or side view mirrors, which I had taught her to do. He told her all she had to worry about was what was in front of her. When she took her test, she hit a cone and parked sideways. They still gave her a license.

I contrast that to when I was back home. We had six months of driver's education in high school, and most people failed the driving exam the first time.

Let me guess: you were one of them who failed, right?

The OP's question:

"How Good Do We Drive Compared To...a Thai? Do they think...we are accomplished drivers?"

As for the 1st question, I can't answer for "we" but I can answer for me. I drive immensely better than any Thai. Actually, I think I drive immensely better than most foreigners in Thailand. :)

As for the 2nd question, not many Thais "think"...especially when at the wheel. I couldn't give a toss what they think about my immensely better driving skills.

I know many Thais who are very good drivers. There're lots of foreigners who passed a theoretical and practical test, but they still don't know how to drive a car, especially in Thailand.

That is a daft statement, for a farang in Thailand it's a the constant AVOIDANCE of an accident that's the problem. The whole way of driving here by ALL is go for it and then try and avoid an accident. Not using your loaf to drive safely and think of other road users. How anybody can say they are good drivers (on the whole) is crackers, Of course nobody in our own country is perfect but come on. When l drove in the UK with my Thai mrs, she could not believe how fast and close the cars were and that everybody knew what other drivers were going to do. Now in LOS she shouts at buffalo drivers all the time. :D

YES..An important fact of life for all farang in Thailand....The what if factor.

Last evening going out for a meal, i asked my lady would she like to drive?

The answer i got back was!

"No! i only like to drive when have no car on road" :D

The previous day she was telling me how good a driver she was. :)

Think that says it all. You have a wise lady. :D

Yes i see the truth in her statement and agreed with her,but as we know if you want to drive you gotta go with the flow!

Interestingly, I was on my small Honda bike, when a car in front of me tried to go over the klong, had no idea how to use a clutch, stalled, and was waved back into the traffic by a "helpful' traffic cop and continued down the road to, no doubt, find an easier place to cross... The mind boggles.

But Florida is full of old almost dead people on golf carts whereas Thailand is full of young people on pimped Honda Waves.

Actually, I think I drive immensely better than most foreigners in Thailand. :D

Of course you do, elkangorito. :)

Perhaps you might like to list your qualifications and experience on the thread to back up this immense ability you have.....or are you just another one of these typical aussie males that thinks he's gods gift because he drives a SS Commodore? :D

You never know what company on the thread your keeping :D

1st place at Bathurst for 5 consecutive years. (*1)

Never owned an SS commodunnydore but did own an '84 VH.

I hold an MBA in driving. My thesis was about DSU. (*2)

*1 - beer drinking & pie spewing contest.

*2 - MBA=Master Bullshit Artist. DSU=Driving Shit Uphill.

:)

haha, i have to give credit, their is some good thai drivers, like Kiki, paragon and some others...

majority of thais- i hate the way they drive, they either never check their blind spot, or they just pull their nose in any little creep of space,

or they are going 60-80 on the high speed lane on the highway, or they take their sweet as time on the roads when the next car infront is a good 2-300m meters away.

Me-dam hel_l im a good driver haha, for thailand im conciered a crazy driver for majority of thais.

depends on whos watching haha....:)

i agree, their is a time and place, and speeding and driving like an idoit is down right stupid.

i can say that easily because i am one of them.

but i have had my share fair of experince,

all i can say is if you do drive fast, remember that every other driver on the road is obvlious and dont know how to drive, if you keep that mentality

then you will learn how to drive well, giving people space, dont tail get them, wait for a clearing and then over take. its plain stupid to stick to someones ass.

so all i can say is if u have to do it, do it as safely as possible-even though their is no such thing.

when i drive, i dont look at the car infront only, i look at 4-5cars infront, people behind and others on the other lanes. and make sure for god sake their is no scooters around, they will cause u to have an accident. their is a mantality here that scooters are 5ton machines that nothing will happen if they cut you off. so Beware!

it might seem stupid to most, but i have learnt to heal and toe in bangkok traffic, for the reason that i can control the car/truck as best as possible, if you are one of those drivers who just stick it the gear in D and go mental, thats just ask for it. their is no such thing as safe driving in thailand, u just have to train yourself to deal best with what ever situation possible.

I lived in Argentina for about a year (in 1999/2000). Whilst I was there, I noticed certain driving habits that were slightly different compared to home (Australia).

Bearing in mind that highways are BIG in Argentina (built for military traffic under the old dictatorships), drivers generally obeyed speed laws. What they also did do was "look out" for other vehicles & not simply rely upon "the road rules" to protect them. For example, if a vehicle wandered about the road (went outside of the lane), other drivers would move out of the way without getting upset.

This does not indicate driving expertise...it indicates "tolerance", which is sadly lacking in many foreign countries (road rage).

In my opinion, many Thai drivers also exercise tolerance (but there are always some exceptions). An example would be when a Thai driver overtakes on a hill or a blind bend. The car approaching from the opposite direction usually moves out of the way. I have been in this situation many a time (& prayed for my life). The problem arrises when the approaching car does not have room to move out of the way. Clearly, this shows a lack of logic with Thai drivers.

IMHO, Thai drivers are notorious for:

1] driving whilst affected by alcohol.

2] driving without resting enough before a long trip OR driving for long periods without stopping/resting.

3] assuming that the other driver will compensate.

4] assuming that amulets will protect them.

5] not displaying "common sense" when required.

Points 1, 2, 3 & 5 can easily occur in any western country although to a lesser degree.

Your question: Do they think...

Answer: I believe not.

I think Thais drive just fine. I've never felt that Thai drivers were incompetent in any way.... some drive fast, yes, but still safe enough :D

:):D Hi Doctor, well, I cannot believe what l have just read. Perhaps you travel around in an ambulance, in the back on something. I see that you are a newbe and perhaps have not ventured outside BK, but my advise to you, when you do, stay in your ambulance or take spare underwear cos your in for a shock. :D

Yes of course because all physicians tend to spend their work hours traveling around in an ambulance. Oh and being a newbie, would automatically suggest that I have never ventured outside BKK.

Lol dam_n man i know the grass is cheap here and all but don't do so much your brain is going a little rusty there! But hey I'd be happy to refer you to a psychiatrist :D

Also I'm from the states, and trust me I know a crappy driver when I see one.

The most policitally correct answer is that there are good and bad everywhere. But this is the easy answer.

Having driven through most of Thailand I'd have to say Thais rate quiet a way down the scale. Sri Lanka, India and Rome would be the worst I've seen.

In Thailand review mirrors are meaningless. Car makers should save a few baht and exclude them. Moving over to the left hand lane is optional (same issue in Australia). My curioisity is how many drivers are actually licensed.

Then there are the motorbikes. They'll merge onto a road/soi etc without even looking. Ride 2 abreast so they can have a chat etc etc.

Since the Thais are so tolerant, all of the above means nothing.

As to how they rate farang drivers. I don't think they care.

At least it's better than Cambodia,where rules don't apply. Even which side of the road to travel doesn't carry much weight. Driving in China is like going to war. Thankfully road rage hasn't caught on,yet.

Laos was the most relaxing driving experience I've had in Asia.

Was reading this when I got this so i thought I would share.

6. Variation Law - If you change lines (or traffic lanes), the one you were in will always move faster than the one you are in now (works every time).

thats why in my driving experience here, Somchai will always drive down the middle looking for the lane moving the fastest, weaving back and forth like Stevie Wonder on wheels