Fire Rages Through Bangkok Slum

george

Fire rages through Bangkok slum

BANGKOK: -- Firefighters this afternoon struggled to tackle a blaze in a Bangkok slum community which raged through 50 houses and killed one elderly resident.

Panicked residents of the slum in Bang Kho Laem district told reporters that they had heard the shout of ‘fire’, and has fled from their houses, taking as many of their meagre possessions as they could grab.

Fire engines rushed to the scene, but fierce wind made tackling the blaze difficult, the alleyways among the houses were narrow, there was little water, and it was an hour before the flames were under control.

One 65 year-old resident of the community was killed after choking on smoke, while a rescue volunteer was injured by falling masonry.

Initial reports suggest that at least 50 houses were damaged in the blaze.

Police are now investigating the cause of the fire, which is believed to have started in a two-storey house which had been rented out to Myanmar immigrants.

--TNA 2005-05-18

Fire engines rushed to the scene,

Police are now investigating the cause of the fire, which is believed to have started in a two-storey house which had been rented out to Myanmar immigrants.

--TNA 2005-05-18

Fire engines rushing - I somehow doubt that.

Go on blame it on the Burmese....

BANGKOK: -- Firefighters this afternoon struggled to tackle a blaze in a Bangkok slum community which raged through 50 houses and killed one elderly resident.

Panicked residents of the slum in Bang Kho Laem district told reporters that they had heard the shout of ‘fire’, and has fled from their houses, taking as many of their meagre possessions as they could grab.

Fire engines rushed to the scene, but fierce wind made tackling the blaze difficult, the alleyways among the houses were narrow, there was little water, and it was an hour before the flames were under control.

One 65 year-old resident of the community was killed after choking on smoke, while a rescue volunteer was injured by falling masonry. 

Initial reports suggest that at least 50 houses were damaged in the blaze.

--TNA 2005-05-18

sounds like another area that needed leveling to make way for a condo ! :o

yes- having looked at the pix its right near the river -prime land for a condo development .

What make you guys think of that......making way to condo. :o

It's the Thai way of freeing up land for development. No legal wrangling, no resettlement problems. Things just "Happen" here for the benefit of the "Haves" and to the detrement of the "Have Nots"

T.I.T. :D

Of course it could have been genuine- who knows?

--TNA 2005-05-18

Yeah, blame it on the burmese.

The developers are eyeing on that piece of land all the time, its right near the river -prime land.

fire01.jpg

Image courtesy of 2bangkok.com.

It doesn't strike me as prime condo real estate. It strikes me as far downriver, in an area that has poor access and not much facilities. As you can see from the elegant 88-storey ruin in the foreground, demand is not quite up to supply yet... (State Tower on Silom has amazing river views and terrible occupancy rate).

Sometimes slums just burn down cos they're slums.

Image courtesy of 2bangkok.com.

It doesn't strike me as prime condo real estate. It strikes me as far downriver, in an area that has poor access and not much facilities.  As you can see from the elegant 88-storey ruin in the foreground, demand is not quite up to supply yet... (State Tower on Silom has amazing river views and terrible occupancy rate).

Sometimes slums just burn down cos they're slums.

its in the road not far from the River Heaven condo complex and that lot sold out pretty quickly so i hear . some of the more expensive flats and back from the river are unsold.

so i hear . River Heaven flats were reasonably priced .