Think There May Be Drug Making Going On Right Above My Unit

Portlandstone

In Bangkok is there any anonymous way of reporting suspected drug activity?

I live in a western-style apartment unit in Bangkok. In the room directly upstairs all day and sometimes all night it sounds more like a workshop. Some users may remember a month or two back I posted about getting strange smells drifting into my unit. After doing plenty of reading on the net, I read that in the U.S. one way to detect there may be a meth manufacturing house next door is the smell of "cat urine", which is quite like the smell I get at least a couple times a week. The noise, stuff falling on the hard-tile floors directly above at all times of the day and night, scraping, and the smells are discomforting. Also every once in a while the person decides to do a big "wash-out" and a river of water comes hurling over their balcony directly past mine, a bit of it splashing up my place. I also wonder about the risk of fire, since they have to cook that stuff, no?

I really wouldn't mind if a few cops went in and had a look. I hear drug labs can blow up, just as well the noise and smells aren't befitting for an apartment. Thailand is supposed to be tough on drugs, but are they?

Why not ask the building management to see if the unit is being renovated or something?

... or there are maybe cats?

If it smells like the smell of "cat urine", there are most of the time cats! :)

Pets are not allowed in condominums or apartments. Its against the law. (so is cooking using lpg gas cylinders by the way).

So if the guys upstairs are not making / using banned substances then they probably guilty of owning pets where it is prohibited.

Either way they are guilty of something (i think).

Best way is to report to the building authorities and let them handle it. (Tell them its against building regulations so they know that you know the rules. )

You can all 191 and tell them about the problem .

If you dont get result - try to approach them politely yourself.

This should solve your problem or at least lessen your troubles.

If the problem still persists then think about moving out or learn to live with it.

Any case best not to get into fights with your neighbours - you never know who they are or what they maybe capable of.

Pets are not allowed in condominums or apartments. Its against the law. (so is cooking using lpg gas cylinders by the way).

So if the guys upstairs are not making / using banned substances then they probably guilty of owning pets where it is prohibited.

Either way they are guilty of something (i think).

Best way is to report to the building authorities and let them handle it. (Tell them its against building regulations so they know that you know the rules. )

You can all 191 and tell them about the problem .

If you dont get result - try to approach them politely yourself.

This should solve your problem or at least lessen your troubles.

If the problem still persists then think about moving out or learn to live with it.

Any case best not to get into fights with your neighbours - you never know who they are or what they maybe capable of.

Pets are certainly allowed in some condos and apartments. Most of us in my building in BKK have small dogs or big cats. (note -- not Big Cats, just big cats :) )

If they are indeed cooking meth you need to do something about it.

It is a explosive hazard as well as a serious health hazard to all around it.

It is a HAZMAT site to the extreme... and if you do find out that it is indeed a lab, move out quickly.

The OP should be careful about how he approaches this issue.

If the neighbours are not doing anything illegal then he can have caused his neighbours to be the center of gossip in the building, and they might feel forced to move.

Maybe try to befriend the neighbour and find out what the noise/washing/smell is about.

If the neighbours are not doing anything illegal then he can have caused his neighbours to be the center of gossip in the building, and they might feel forced to move.

Maybe try to befriend the neighbour and find out what the noise/washing/smell is about.

like what ? smoking a joint on the terrace ?

I dont know what kind of friends you have, or if you have friends at all.

But where I come from, and where I live in Thailand, friends sometimes invite each other to their homes.

Friends ask each other more personal questions that one would never ask strangers.

Let me guess.

Your option is to just raid the neighbour's appartment with some sort of SWAT team, without actually knowing what's going on there, right?

When I was living in Bkk, I did not dare go to the BIB because they were friendly with the bad elements in our neighborhood (e.g. illegal gambling joints). Even saw a couple of BIBs on a motorbike with a coin counting machine. Ha ha. Makes the accounting work much easier. With illegal drugs, it just might be the same. I'd be very careful.

This is one reason I left Bkk. Have a much better environment now. Fresh air (except during the fire season) and less criminality.

Oh, and there are many places where they do have small factories at the appartments. Where we lived, there were sewing shops (with 10 sewing machines) next door, a machine shop nearby, a plastic part shop. It could be any number of activities.

I dont know what kind of friends you have, or if you have friends at all.

But where I come from, and where I live in Thailand, friends sometimes invite each other to their homes.

Friends ask each other more personal questions that one would never ask strangers.

Let me guess.

Your option is to just raid the neighbour's appartment with some sort of SWAT team, without actually knowing what's going on there, right?

Non, i do not have any opinion regarding this problems, i do not socialize with my neighbour, my circle of friends are not one of them.

If it is a meth lab - highly volatile process, so there is a possibility of it blowing up if those manufacturing it ever make a mistake. Perhaps you could have a thai mate call from a pay phone to the BIB and make an anonymous report. Very least they just go check it out.

Cooking up Meth isn't a noisy business, nor would you do it in an apartment block.

Why would you not do it in an apartment block..... have you ever been to Melbourne..?

Is that why Melbourne is the second most liveable cities ?

Everyone high of fumes !

Cooking up Meth isn't a noisy business, nor would you do it in an apartment block.

Why would you not do it in an apartment block..... have you ever been to Melbourne..?

As a Melbourne native, this has me baffled.

Edited by tw25rw

As a Melbourne native, this has me baffled.

Me too. Maybe he was talking about Dandenong. :)