What Laptop To Buy?

Thailaw

I will need a new laptop shortly. I presently have a Dell Latitude D630, which I do not like very much, but that may be because it has so much software installed that it is terribly slow. (I did not like the Think Pad I had before this very much either). My use is limited to word processing documents (long ones) and e-mail and internet browsing. No games, but I do occasionally store and edit pictures.

I have read reviews on the internet, and the reviews suggest for non-gaming applications the following computers (available in 2009) are recommended:

Acer Aspire 7735Z, 4930, and 4357

Sony Vaio CS

Asus w90Vp-x1

Dell Inspirion 1525

Toshiba Satellite T135-31310 (dual core)

Lenovo 6530

Of course, there may be others as good or better than any of these. Does anyone have any experience with any of these computers, and can recommend one as better than the others? Or can anyone recommend a computer not on this list that is available in Thailand and is better than these?

Main criteria are quality, reliability, speed and limited occasions of getting "hung up" (the latter seems to be a problem with my current Dell computer).

Thanks for any help,.

Edited by Thailaw

there is only ONE (1) OEM Brand you can really trust .. which is Apple.

and since they come with Intel chipsets they can be castrated down to Microsoft operation Systems as well.

pricing not too much different ... but at least you get what you pay for.

Edited by altf4

From my experience the first one to trash in your selection is ACER. I have nothing but contempt for this useless , piece of shit company and their trash Chinese components. Not one, but two total failures. Both top of the line units. The drives are clones and failed. The DVD lasted three months. The power cord design caused the internal connection to fall off. Nuff said, I could go on all day. On the suggestion of Apple. Much too costly here and limited applications and programs. A great box from Steve but no value here. I would suggest that you buy Apple too if price is no object. Back to basics. Don't load up your box with unused programs ever,. Put that crap on a side drive and leave it there. Once you stay lean, your speed will be the reward. My current choice is HP. I run a mini and a 15. The mini is the nuts and the best ever. It walks , talks, and, never complains. The champ does 6 hours on a battery charge and weighs 2 pounds. Can do anything required from soup to desert. Best luck on your quest.

From my experience the first one to trash in your selection is ACER. I have nothing but contempt for this useless , piece of shit company and their trash Chinese components. Not one, but two total failures. Both top of the line units. The drives are clones and failed. The DVD lasted three months. The power cord design caused the internal connection to fall off. Nuff said, I could go on all day. On the suggestion of Apple. Much too costly here and limited applications and programs. A great box from Steve but no value here. I would suggest that you buy Apple too if price is no object. Back to basics. Don't load up your box with unused programs ever,. Put that crap on a side drive and leave it there. Once you stay lean, your speed will be the reward. My current choice is HP. I run a mini and a 15. The mini is the nuts and the best ever. It walks , talks, and, never complains. The champ does 6 hours on a battery charge and weighs 2 pounds. Can do anything required from soup to desert. Best luck on your quest.

Thyanks. Agreed, i will avoid Acer. I have read that Asus and Toshiba are the most reliable, trouble free computers. but I have also read that one should not only focus on manufactirer but also on the specific model -- quality varies a lot accross models. If price is comparable, I think I would be inclined to go for a Sony. If Sony is a lot more money, I would likely look at Asus, Dell and Toshiba (and maybe HP). Thoughts? Is one a better choice for repair/service and price here in LOS? Thanks.

I'm guessing you are based in Thailand since you are asking about models available out here. Then I would recommend you to look into the different brands' warranty and customer service deals. For example Toshiba I hear nothing but bad stuff about, takes 6 months to get through to the right person, and by then the warranty has run out. Dell has very very very good service in Thailand, their computers come with 1 year on-site service, which means that within 24 hours a technician will knock on your door and fix your computer and replace faulty components free of charge.

Buying a computer that is distributed by Synnex is also advisable, the brands they do are: Asus, BenQ, HP/Compaq and Samsung. Synnex has service centers all over Thailand and you can take your computer directly to their centers and get it fixed within the warranty, they also do on-site service on some occasions.

I have had two HP Pavillion laptop, currently a dv6000. This is great for veiwing and editing pics and also playing DVD, this has a widescreen and is fast, though I did add 2 gybt of RAM.

HP well worth a good look at and very price comparable

Step 1.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Laptop-netbo...fo-t319781.html

This would narrow your choices down.

Based on your few criteria you posted the Lenovo Thinkpad line might be a good fit. Check the X200, x300 and r400 lines.

I always recommend people to go with a non-reflective screen. (if you do not know the difference, go to a Lenovo shop and put a glossy screen next to a non-glossy screen and compare. If you are annoyed by seeing your own face and the lights around you in the screen, then select the non-glossy version)

My last 3 laptops have been Dell's. I won't be buying Dell after this one [Latitude E6500] is retired shortly. Had a pretty bad run with the last two now and unimpressed with their machines and their post-sale 'service'.

I'm hearing good things about Lenovo laptops - I just bought my little sister one which is currently on sale at the Lenovo Australia website [not sure if that's utterly irrelevant or potentially of interest to you].

But a new Lenovo with these specs for under $1000 has to be pretty decent I would imagine...? I don't know *that* much about laptop specs but on compare and contrast, seems v cheap to me...

ThinkPad SL410 14'' laptop - Performance

AU$1,659.44

Sale price:

AU$1,099.00

Total savings:

AU$560.44

inc. GST

Apply 10% coupon for final price $989.00

Your system summary:

Intel Core 2 Duo processor T6670 (2.20GHz 800MHz 2MBL2)

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 32

14.0" HD VibrantView

Intel PM45 + AMD 256MB, Gb Etn

4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 (2 DIMM)

UltraNav without FPR

250GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm

DVD Recordable, Fixed

6cell LC, LI Battery TWSL

90W AC Adapter; ANZ

ThinkPad b/g/n Wi-Fi wireless LAN Mini-PCIe

I have two Toshiba laptop A100/A105 series, which I have owned for about 3 years. Rock solid, super reliable (knock on wood). One runs Windows 7 and the one other one Windows XP with no problems. I be happy with my Toshiba laptops...and when I decide to upgrade in the future it will be very hard for any salesman to steer me away from Toshiba. I've used Gateway and IBM laptops in the past at work and I clearly recommend Toshiba laptops above them.

I have two Toshiba laptop A100/A105 series, which I have owned for about 3 years. Rock solid, super reliable (knock on wood). One runs Windows 7 and the one other one Windows XP with no problems. I be happy with my Toshiba laptops...and when I decide to upgrade in the future it will be very hard for any salesman to steer me away from Toshiba. I've used Gateway and IBM laptops in the past at work and I clearly recommend Toshiba laptops above them.

Thanks. As I indicated earlier, Toshiba and Asus have the best overall reliability records, which encourages me to put these two at the top of the list. One poster above indicates that Toshiba in Thailand may have warranty availability issues, which suggests that Asus may be a better choice here. Lenovo looks interesting, but a Chinese owned company frankly scares me. Does anyone have experience owning a Lenovocomputer. I had Thinkpads through my company when it was made by IBM and after IBM had sold it, and the quality went way WAY doen after IMB sold it. Is that still the case now.

I will definitely look at Toshiba, but everything else equal, I think I am moving toward Asus as the best computer for the Thailand market. Comments???

Regarding the comment made about Toshiba warranty, my friend just took his Toshiba Laptop to Wattana, and since its less than a year old its been sent to Rayong under warranty and expects it back within 2 weeks. Problem was caused by him thumping the keyboard in frustration - silly.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a quick question. If I buy a laptop in the UK, do I need to buy a different type of adapter to use it in Thailand or can I just use a simple plug adapter?

Simple plug adapter is fine. I have two laptops here, both of them were bought in the UK.

To the OP - buy a Vaio. Now on my second. Had the other one for three years without a single issue and it's still pretty quick with 2GBs RAM (I don't have loads of crap installed or running at start-up - take the advice above and keep your OS install clean).

Regarding the comment made about Toshiba warranty, my friend just took his Toshiba Laptop to Wattana, and since its less than a year old its been sent to Rayong under warranty and expects it back within 2 weeks. Problem was caused by him thumping the keyboard in frustration - silly.

He was probably just trying to speed up his internet connection (which is a lost cause in Thailand). :)

Lenovo in his mid sale catalogue still have some notebook with 2 gig ram & vista loaded, but some good price as well for new models.

The catalogue can be download from the Lenovo thai site.

I still see old models in Thailand, my friend been offer a notebook with vista recently, with 1 gig ram, off course with free upgrade windows 7

4 months ago, i look to get a notebook, in the end i decide to buy in Singapore; I did want to take a break anyway!

In Singapore, Only Lenovo / Toshiba / Hp have factory load windows 7 at this time, i bought the HP Pavilion dm3-1015TX / Intel core duo (2.26GHz) / 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM / 500 GB SATA HDD / NVIDIA GeForce G105, but like Lenovo, Toshiba, Asus as well

I did write a post at this time, I paid $1520 Singapore dollars, given a sleeve free, and got 80 dollars back from GST, it go around 1150Au dollars clear, that is 34170 baht, and i cannot see this spec yet in Thailand.

Look around, get windows 7 factory loaded, and some good specs, i am sure some deals are around, stay clear of the old stock.

Edited by simcity

Thanks everyone. I am leaning to Asus, given what people (and reviews and reports) have said, but I will definitely look at Lenovo also. There was a review of the new Lenovo Think Pad net book today in a Bangkok paper, which liked all of the features, but said that the battery life was not great (about 3 hours) and that the screen got really hot, enough to be uncomfortable. The latter point was a realy surprise, I would never have guessed that heat from a computer screen could be a problem or vary widely among computers.

I agree about Sony, but the initial price is pretty steep, and I never sell anything until it is ready to be thrown away. Resale price (up or down) isnt much of a concern.

Thanks again, everyone......

Thanks everyone. I am leaning to Asus, given what people (and reviews and reports) have said, but I will definitely look at Lenovo also. There was a review of the new Lenovo Think Pad net book today in a Bangkok paper, which liked all of the features, but said that the battery life was not great (about 3 hours) and that the screen got really hot, enough to be uncomfortable. The latter point was a realy surprise, I would never have guessed that heat from a computer screen could be a problem or vary widely among computers.

I agree about Sony, but the initial price is pretty steep, and I never sell anything until it is ready to be thrown away. Resale price (up or down) isnt much of a concern.

Hi bought a new asus a42jr yesterday with win 7 home premium preloaded, two year warranty and i5-430 and very impressed with both. win 7 so easy to use.

hopes this helps as i have looking for a while.

Hi bought a new asus a42jr yesterday with win 7 home premium preloaded, two year warranty and i5-430 and very impressed with both. win 7 so easy to use.

Hi, do you mind telling what you payed and where you bought ??

I bought from a local computer shop here in Ubon. 35,000bht. the only place i saw them was on invadeit. Mine is model no. A42jr-vx026d as this the latest with 500gb hd 7,200

and win 7.

let us know if you want more info.

I bought from a local computer shop here in Ubon. 35,000bht. the only place i saw them was on invadeit. Mine is model no. A42jr-vx026d as this the latest with 500gb hd 7,200

and win 7.

let us know if you want more info.

Thanks for that ! :)

If you value your time more than a few hundred $, MacBook Pro.

I am writing this on one and the latest are really pretty incredible. The screen is glass - that means it's pretty much unscratchable. You can scrub it down with a sponge if you like. The chassis is made from a solid aluminum block. It feels indestructible (knock on wood). The battery lasts 7 hours on full spec desktop-replacement class computer. LED screens. Light up keyboard.

I don't think software is a problem. On Windows, you have 5 million programs to choose from. On the Mac, 1 million. How many do you need? In addition, whenever I have to switch back to Windows for one reason or another, I often can't find utilities of the same quality as they are on the Mac. I have yet to see anything like MenuMeters on Windows - doesn't exist. OS wise, OS X and Win7 are pretty much on par now that the nightmare that was Vista is over. OS Xs biggest advantage at this point is that it doesn't "age". An OS X install will be as fast, or faster 3 years down the road. Windows will have slowed to half speed at 18 months (in my experience - depends how much stuff you install). It remains to be seen whether that's true for W7 as well, but chances are it is as it still has the same basic architecture that causes this, the central registry.

Macs cost more but quite honestly that cost is very quickly offset by time savings, or by savings in software, the two biggest ones are: You don't need an AV program as there are no viruses. And you don't need a backup program as TimeMachine is built in and it's the best, most seamless backup I have ever seen. (I used to be on Windows - backup programs often came free with external HDs, but the quality was total garbage - better hope nothing ever goes wrong).

Anyway if you're a tinkerer or student or retired, e.g. with spare time and little money - get Windows :)

MacBook Pro starts at 47k baht and you can get it official from the online store http://store.apple.com/th/ 15" starts at 65k baht. You get what you pay for...

Edited by nikster

Not all people need a powerful laptop. When my laptop dies, I'll buy a nice light weight netbook. Anything That takes horsepower is done on my desktop anyways. A netbook with bluetooth and WiFi that connects to the Internet easily is all I need for traveling. A nice netbook will cost less than 15,000 baht.

some experiences from me:

acer: have had 3 myself: hinges of screen break easily, on all of them. the ones with fast graphics (radeon etc) die earlier on heat issues. In other words: stay away from those fast graphics ones (search internet for acer laptops that suddenly do not boot up)

sony vaio: keyboard issues. Service guy told me it is common problem with sony. Also my vaio has to go now to repair again for spontanious "nothing works symptom". The repair the first time is less then 3 months old so i am still in warranty for that. (short circuit on motherboard)

My boss uses vaio's and buys about every 1.5 year a new one because the old one stops working... do not know specific reasons though.

dell: i have up to now, good experiences with dell. no complaints.

benq: just bought one 3 months ago for my wife, so no real experience here.

Looking now also for a new one. My choice goes to a ulv processor (the SU series) which use very low power. SU7300 is duo and rather new but might be too expensive for my budget. maybe the older su single core. And display with led-backlight.

Never tried toshiba but maybe this time. other options are dell, hp, benq, asus.

Edited by tracker

• 5 weeks later...

I'd go along with Gary A. Figure out what you actually need the machine for and go from there. Overpaying for a badass machine and not utilizing it is silly.

I'm writing this on a 2004 Vaio. Used most days. Never had to be repaired.....for anything. Never cleaned. Can't find the Ram to update it. "No, no, too old." (pc 2100, 266 mhz, 512 mb, SO dimm, in case anyone's got any laying around)

It was home to a small ant colony for a while. Evicted for non-payment. :D

I was happy to pay top dollar back then, as I thought I was buying quality. Turns out I did. :)

When it finally dies I'll replace it with a Macbook..........after filling all the memory slots. :D

Regards.