Massive Failure For The Red Rally

TAWP

I wouldnt write it off this soon. Also bea rin mind the red rally in many ways is a diversion. The real chnages get decided behind closed doors. If something is going to happen it will likely be decided in some smoke filled room and we will never know the details. Any change will need military approval unless they split 50-50 or close to it.

Whiule we all look at the rally anything could be going on.

Abhisit said he would disolve the parlaiment to avoid a coup. Interesting statement

A bit of sense amongst all the flak!

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On another note I would be more concerned if it was a flop, that could lead to more drastic action than if more people turn up, we all know how important face is here.

There have already been bombs. It has been obvious from the start the violence is a probability (just look at Black Songkran). I agree that failed numbers most likely will mean violence. However, I think you are on the wrong track here entirely. If they had huge numbers, they would have thought they had won and that would also mean probable violence to seal the deal. At least with small numbers, there are fewer criminals to track down.

Edited by Jingthing

Latest is that they now proclaim that the demonstrations will end at 5 pm and will resume, at a much higher number one must presume, on Sunday instead.

Of course they will..... :) .....<deleted> when will it ever end.

thwy nees to increase the payroll :D

I think some of you are disappointed that it has not turned violent already so you can spout 'I told you so', the fact that they contingent from chainag mai only left there at 11 am, added to the fact that the actual rally is sunday seems to have passed some of you by. people are still travelling to bangkok, today was always going to be about small meetings and the said non violent, and non violent it has been, I know this irks some of you.

As for total numbers at the end, it matters not one jot if it is one million people or one person as long as they achieve their objectives. Too many people actually thinking a million man march means there will be one million men, the same people probably think the 100 year war lasted exactly 100 years.

I thought more of some of you than this, a lot of thinks you guys write are sensible if a little biased, but this nonsense, well..............................

This is a forum to talk whatever, if you don't agree or like what is being written then.....................

Edited by Mario2008
flame removed - no need to get personal

If I personally believed in something to protest about I wouldn't have to be paid to protest. When Thaksin reduced how much he was paying to the protesters then things went cold. Maybe I'm wrong but I think that Thaksin should just give up. He isn't going to be allowed back so he better get used to it.

On another note I would be more concerned if it was a flop, that could lead to more drastic action than if more people turn up, we all know how important face is here.

There have already been bombs. It has been obvious from the start the violence is a probability (just look at Black Songkran). I agree that failed numbers most likely will mean violence. However, I think you are on the wrong track here entirely. If they had huge numbers, they would have thought they had won and that would also mean probable violence to seal the deal. At least with small numbers, there are fewer criminals to track down.

Are you really connecting the bombs in the south with what is happening in Bangkok, the south is bombed on an almost daily basis. If some village head gets shot in pattani tonight will that also be blamed on the red shirts?

laughable :)

That's more or less what I expected. Huge banging of shields, fear-mongering on both sides, the govt prepares to invoke emergency powers, the military prepare for "taking matters into their own hand" just in case... and in the end just a few hundred protesters turn out, making both sides look like morons.

Edited by Zolt

I can't imagine the red camp being quite that sophisticated.

Still too early to call it a failure, I hope it will fizzle out, or if they do rally that they do it peacefully, no matter how many turn out. But I think we should for Sunday to see what the real situation is (this may still be just be an attempt to lure the government into a false sense of security)

A lot of red shirt threads, so i guess this one is as soon as any to ask policy questions.

Is it true that the current government is doing away with the 30Baht medical program?

Is that something you read somewhere or is it just scaremongering?

I did read some comments from someone that since this program started that the standard of healthcare has dropped. Doctors and nurses are leaving. Some things like that. I haven't heard much else good or bad (except for "it's a good idea" - no good examples).

It would be a very bad move by the government, because most of the poor *think* (whether it's true or not) that it is a brilliant thing that Thaksin did.

One of our employees (18 year old guy) said he was going to the red shirt rally. Asked him why and he said they were scraping the 30 baht system, and his young niece about 3 years old (who I have met) has some serious health problems such as a very serious heart condition, will no longer be able to receive medical help at the hospital and will most likely die (not an exaggeration).

I was pretty shocked, as my first instinct was to assume that he was just going down there to get pissed up etc...but his reasons were much more sobering.

Anyways i'm not sure how great the kids chances are even with medical treatment, but i can't imagine having a small child and not being able to do anything but watch them die.

Are you really connecting the bombs in the south with what is happening in Bangkok, the south is bombed on an almost daily basis. If some village head gets shot in pattani tonight will that also be blamed on the red shirts?

laughable :)

Surat Thani is not involved in the Muslim insurgency. It is also the base of Suthep in charge of security today. Who really knows what it was linked to but most analysts would assume there is a greater chance of it being linked to the rally than having anything to do with the southern insurgency

Pattani, Narratiwat, Sonkhla and Yala are where the insurgency is taking place.

One of our employees (18 year old guy) said he was going to the red shirt rally. Asked him why and he said they were scraping the 30 baht system, and his young niece about 3 years old (who I have met) has some serious health problems such as a very serious heart condition, will no longer be able to receive medical help at the hospital and will most likely die (not an exaggeration).

I was pretty shocked, as my first instinct was to assume that he was just going down there to get pissed up etc...but his reasons were much more sobering.

Anyways i'm not sure how great the kids chances are even with medical treatment, but i can't imagine having a small child and not being able to do anything but watch them die.

It would be interesting to know where he got that idea.

It would certainly be good red propaganda to get a few more people out protesting.

The banks. Black Songkran. Wake up.

a couple of idiots threw grenades, red sympathisers but not instructed to do it, as for songkhran, what bombs are these? do you have links for bombings then, i recall shootings by the army but I don't recall bombings, please refresh my memory.

also I recall bombings in the south in hat yai, that is not in the four mentioned provinces in the south I believe, yet the insurgents still attacked it,

personally i would rather wait for proof or an admittance, just like I did with the poo throwing.

Actually the 30 bht scheme was not his policy. It was the implimentation of a constitutional provision included in the constitution prior to his becoming PM. Of course the addition of the 30 bht charge was a Thaksin addition even though it was not cost productive.

Edited by harrry

Latest is that they now proclaim that the demonstrations will end at 5 pm and will resume, at a much higher number one must presume, on Sunday instead.

Of course they will..... :) .....<deleted> when will it ever end.

if they dont get more than 100.000 then they should burn there selfs with shame.

the thing has not even started in earnest yet and the same old posters on here proving their tediousness, how about waiting for tomorrow and Sunday, then make a judgement call, after all the rally is tomorrow and not today, today is small gatherings.

I sometimes wonder what people hope to achieve with such nonsense as this thread, do they think it makes one iota of difference to the actual happenings? do they think abhisit is reading this forum and getting excited because some nomark says not many reds have turned up, or do you think he is concerned with the facts rather than the ramblings of some old fool on a farang forum.

The reds would be crowing if today was impressive. That's a fact for you. Now they are humiliated.

Correct,and now they are claiming the main Demonstration was not until Sunday anyway.

typical Thai face saver!

It really does amaze me how many people have blinkers on here,most of you actually think that Abhisit is for the good of Thailand when in fact he never ventures anywhere outside of Bangkok.

I would like some present facts on policys that are going to benefit Thai people....can anyone give me some? ?

The banks. Black Songkran. Wake up.

a couple of idiots threw grenades, red sympathisers but not instructed to do it, as for songkhran, what bombs are these? do you have links for bombings then, i recall shootings by the army but I don't recall bombings, please refresh my memory.

also I recall bombings in the south in hat yai, that is not in the four mentioned provinces in the south I believe, yet the insurgents still attacked it,

personally i would rather wait for proof or an admittance, just like I did with the poo throwing.

No, sir. It was REDS who did the bank bombings. Period. As far as Black Songkran, we had many MOLOTOV COCKTAILS, we had buses set aflame, we had reds threatening to blow up an entire slum district with a gas truck. I am glad I am not on your side trying to rationalize these kinds of heinous crimes. Its sickening.

Correct,and now they are claiming the main Demonstration was not until Sunday anyway.

typical Thai face saver!

Has there been anything said this afternoon by the reds about how many they are now expecting for Sunday?

I assume today's protests were mostly Bangkok based red shirts. What was the totals for all the areas? Maybe 10,000?

It really does amaze me how many people have blinkers on here,most of you actually think that Abhisit is for the good of Thailand when in fact he never ventures anywhere outside of Bangkok.

I would like some present facts on policys that are going to benefit Thai people....can anyone give me some? ?

Really? :)

How many posts do you see that SAY Abhisit is good for Thailand? There might be quite a few that SAY Thaksin is BAD for Thailand.

But Don T's family are all gathering in Dubai so we have been told by T.. and know we are told he is on his way to Cambodia... somebody not telling the truth here.. But is uppose that is par for his course.. I wonder if he cheats and lies at Golf?

so it is not what I write, it is the condescending words? surely then it is what I write if you are accusing me of writing condesending words?

As for belittling opinions, I am not, I am just mirroring the people that write them, to be fair I don't see them complaining, and talking about failure at this point is all about opinions rather than fact so it is hard to back up my argument with facts, just like it is with them. However history teaches us that it is better to wait for something to finish before you judge it as a failure or success, In this instance the protest has not even started yet it is being called a failure. That is like saying a football team lost a game 2 days before it is played.

OK point taken

I agree its a little bit early to be jumping on the "Failure" band wagon but as others have mentioned the "Day of all Days" was supposed to be the 12th, so why are they now saying Sunday or even Monday, just another bumbling excuse of a leadership, similiar to the one they are trying to oust. My better half is a, well lets say Red Shirt sympathiser, but at this rate even she is doubting that any of them are what the contry needs right now.

Wheres the "Raving Monster Loony Party" when you need them?

now comparing the elite card to a political rally, sad, sad, sad, well the sad thing is that it the people I consider the more intelligent posters on here that are making such rash judgements.

Let me reiterate, today is all about travelling to bangkok, today is small, it is supposed to be, sunday is the main rally, reserve your judgements until then, save you looking foolish like with the uproar on here about those nasty reds throwing poo at the PMs house

You seem to have a fixation with poo, you've mentioned it a few times now. The post about the elite card was a comparisson. It failed and so (in my opinion) will the red rally. They are not protesting for any reason, they are protesting cos they are getting paid. No money for the protesters = no protesters.

really!

Can you give me info on policy!

Somebody else who thinks that if you don't like Thaksin then you must worship the ground underneath Abhisit's feet.

Personally I think that Abhisit is a bit of a wet blanket and would fall by the wayside if there was a half decent alternative. Although his policies such as increasing the standards in schools, for example, at least seem to be non-self serving. We shall see, maybe.

And to say he never leaves Bangkok is daft.