Thaksin's Last Chance

webfact

A friend called me and mentioned that people around his neighborhood, were offered TB 1200 to join this rally. For many of them, TB 1200 is a big amount and they willingly took the offer and are on their way to Bangkok. None of them have any clue what so ever about the rally. Why it is being organized and all that. They don't even understand what is democracy nor do they know their right and obligation to vote. They follow their leader, more like tribes headman, and thats about it.

Ok Funky, No its not you saying this but your 'friend', but come on, do you really think that yer average up north/Isan person does not know there's a rally and what its about? And ....that they don't know their rights on being able to vote??? I suggest you don't take your 'friend's' comments to heart ....they ain't that stupid and give em a little more credit eh.

Still, this is the way TH works and 'paid protestors' is the norm. The problem though IMHO is if you are being 'paid to protest' then the protest you are engaged in is not in your heart, and just in your pocket; not the best base for genuine change.

Good luck TH this weekend and here we go again, and again, and again :)

Red shirts and yellow shirts? I just hope this debacle ends without major violence. Both the red and yellow sides lost any sympathy I may have had for their causes by blocking traffic and generally costing the economy big baht. Closing the airport was the worst thing they could have done. Apparently the government still owes the yellow mob because there have been no prosecutions for the airport terrorism and likely won't be.

I would hope that when the "Get Thaksin" government effort wears off they can tackle the drug problem and concentrate on the growing violence in the south of the country. Scheduling the next election would likely do wonders to appease the people. Not that the next government will be any better because the vast majority of the existing politicians are hopelessly corrupt.

Ummmmm regarding Paragraph 1 --- a lie

The cases against the PAD leadership are ongoing. Since there are ongoing prosecutions then saying that there have been none is a lie. They are proceeding at the standard pace for such prosecutions with multiple defendants in Thailand.

Second paragraph --- The Democrats SEEM far less corrupt and far MORE transparent than other parties. Take the firetruck case in BKK. The Dem mayor of BKK stepped down when his name was added to the list of indicted over that scandal (at the same time Samak was stepping UP), even though the Democrat only finished the deal that had been made previously. The violence and certainly the human rights abuses in the South were far worse under TRT than they APPEAR to be unthe the Dems. The drug problem is with us to stay.

The Dems also are far more willing to turf out their own or coalition partners Cabinet or MPs

caught red handed in corruption nets. Apirak setting the tone of departing early after being formally charged.

TRT PPP et all always seem inclined to fight until forced from the levers of power,

regardless of the charges against them. Bluff it out and rake in the cash till the axe falls.

Thakswine was from the same bolt of clothe bluff bluster and attack all who could cause problems,

and only scuttle for cover when PROVED culpable.

Does Thaksin stand a chance of rehabilitation, and being saved...

highly doubtful without a coup, years of marshal law,

and most of his enemies in detention or dead.

Last chance was lost last year.

Edited by animatic

I am on a pathetically slow connection so did not bother to quote. Still I will mention some.

Agree: There is no Chance for Mr T.

Agree: Abhisit did a good job. Pretty good I must say.

Agree: Egoistic, arrogant maniac, yes that is what Mr T is.

What baffles me is the inability of people to see the obvious signs. I wonder how people make up their opinions. Based on what information(little) is available? based on their own independent analysis? based on media reporting? I mean in lack of any credible information, isn't is just the word of the village chief or community elder taken as absolute truth?

Elsewhere, on forum, someone has very well pointed out, for those supporters of T. Has anyone really seen for real, those claims of hospital in every district and so on. Another comment on people were simply poor and now they are poor and indebted due to that access to easy loans. Did all that loan go to legit purposes or it was simply to buy a motorbike and tv at home? I know for fact that people are paid to join his rally. Well any rally in that case. However his rallies are better paying.

A friend called me and mentioned that people around his neighborhood, were offered TB 1200 to join this rally. For many of them, TB 1200 is a big amount and they willingly took the offer and are on their way to Bangkok. None of them have any clue what so ever about the rally. Why it is being organized and all that. They don't even understand what is democracy nor do they know their right and obligation to vote. They follow their leader, more like tribes headman, and thats about it.

Yes there is no chance to Mr. T

If he, at all, was genuine to his country, honestly believed that he is innocent, then he would have faced the charges, trusted the courts and accepted the verdict. Instead, he runs away. In a mad mans attempt to save his fortune, he even went to a moral low of instigating the poor and generating sympathy. Stealing meals from their plate and asking for sympathy? Disgusting.

Well, keep watching and see what unfolds. I have been told that many a tourists have canceled their bookings and arrivals to this country. My friends in tourism business are worried of the long term impact this instability will have.

Wish and pray for better times for this country. :)

Post of the day!

Sad but true. If you were to draw a sample group of red shirts and ask them what democracy is, you'd probably get some very wild answers or if you engage in an intellectual debate on what democracy is they'd just accuse you of being an elite.

Ok Funky, No its not you saying this but your 'friend', but come on, do you really think that yer average up north/Isan person does not know there's a rally and what its about? And ....that they don't know their rights on being able to vote??? I suggest you don't take your 'friend's' comments to heart ....they ain't that stupid and give em a little more credit eh.

Still, this is the way TH works and 'paid protestors' is the norm. The problem though IMHO is if you are being 'paid to protest' then the protest you are engaged in is not in your heart, and just in your pocket; not the best base for genuine change.

Do you ever read the posts on this webboard? Nobody said they were 'stupid'.

- Are the Essan people stupid? NO!

- Are the Essan people manipulated and lied to? YES!

- Have they been manipulated, intimimidated, used, by other Essan people for decades (read, TRT/PPP/PT members of parliament)? YES!

- Are many of the Essan people lacking in deep knowledge of how a good democracy should work, should look like (and not their fault)? YES! (Note, I didn't say stupid.)

- You mentioned that they follow their tribal leader (the village chief - the kamnan). Well I suggest the truth is more like 'they do what they are told to do by the village chief', mostly because they are frightened to not follow his/her orders, and frightened of the future consequences if they don't follow orders.

And by the way, it has now been confirmed by the UAE / Dubai authorities that they have told thaksin to leave.

Edited by scorecard

Red shirts and yellow shirts? I just hope this debacle ends without major violence. Both the red and yellow sides lost any sympathy I may have had for their causes by blocking traffic and generally costing the economy big baht. Closing the airport was the worst thing they could have done. Apparently the government still owes the yellow mob because there have been no prosecutions for the airport terrorism and likely won't be.

I would hope that when the "Get Thaksin" government effort wears off they can tackle the drug problem and concentrate on the growing violence in the south of the country. Scheduling the next election would likely do wonders to appease the people. Not that the next government will be any better because the vast majority of the existing politicians are hopelessly corrupt.

The cases against the PAD leadership are ongoing. Since there are ongoing prosecutions then saying that there have been none is a lie. They are proceeding at the standard pace for such prosecutions with multiple defendants in Thailand.

Second paragraph --- The Democrats SEEM far less corrupt and far MORE transparent than other parties. Take the firetruck case in BKK. The Dem mayor of BKK stepped down when his name was added to the list of indicted over that scandal (at the same time Samak was stepping UP), even though the Democrat only finished the deal that had been made previously. The violence and certainly the human rights abuses in the South were far worse under TRT than they APPEAR to be unthe the Dems. The drug problem is with us to stay.

Well JD, you have made it obvious that you are a dedicated yellow shirt Thaksin hater. Would you be willing to place a wager that the airport terrorists will be prosecuted?

You think that the violence in the south is not worse now than a couple years ago? You actually believe that things are better now?

Because he is a one-man band, Thaksin's sense of timing has been appalling and he forgets the one time he entered power on the wave of the then Zeitgeist.

That moment has passed but he believes his own propaganda.

He will not go away, but while he is still around the opposition will never be able to develop an effective alternative government which is other than the vehicle for one man and his wealth.

The Democrats are probably set to become even stronger in line with the growing economy.

And dare one say it, it might even suit them to have Thaksin corralled in his Cambodian box to keep the opposition permanently hobbled.

Any alternative opposition leader will be broken by Thaksin and his gofers.

The markets will not be too unhappy with this scenario.

It is true, the average Isaan person is pretty clueless

My In Laws live up there and they know that there is

a protest this weekend, but they do not understand why.

My Father in law loved Taksin, I asked him why ....

He said cause when Taksin was in charge, people gave

him more money to vote for him.

I told him "but Taksin is a criminal and is a crook"

He said "ok, I will no like him any more"

A great number of these protestors are only playing

"follow the money" ...

If I am Thaksin, I will promise the red mass a high payout to attract a huge crowd. And then employ armed teams to fire on them to create a mayhem, scattering the poor souls, and have no need to make actual payments. Thereafter, try to place the blame of killing and injuring protesters on the govt and army.

Thaksin has probably lost a sizable minority of his support through his asociaton with Cambodia.The red shirts do have their points and are numerous but this is weakened by the Thaksin factor.I predict a 0-0 draw this weekend.

That was my opinion too, but there does seem to be a lot of support for the Reds, even among people who live here in Bangkok.

Whether that support will carry through to the ballot box, only time will tell. After all, even if the Reds don't force a house dissolution, there are regularly scheduled elections coming up in about 18 months.

Well JD, you have made it obvious that you are a dedicated yellow shirt Thaksin hater. Would you be willing to place a wager that the airport terrorists will be prosecuted?

You think that the violence in the south is not worse now than a couple years ago? You actually believe that things are better now?

Gary ---- it is absolutely inappropriate to call them "airport terrorists". The cases against the PAD leadership are onoing ... so that would be a "yes"

Did I say that the violence in the South is worse or less? No. I said the human rights abuses are less.

Am I a Thaksin hater? Pretty much, as any rational person would be imho :) Just as it is clear that the yellows were the recipients of far more violence than the reds and not all of it from the hands of the government. Remember the grenade attacks at both Government House and Suwannapoom?

Now --- are you still going to lie about the ongoing cases against the PAD leadership?

Gary ---- it is absolutely inappropriate to call them "airport terrorists". The cases against the PAD leadership are onoing ... so that would be a "yes"

Did I say that the violence in the South is worse or less? No. I said the human rights abuses are less.

Am I a Thaksin hater? Pretty much, as any rational person would be imho :) Just as it is clear that the yellows were the recipients of far more violence than the reds and not all of it from the hands of the government. Remember the grenade attacks at both Government House and Suwannapoom?

Now --- are you still going to lie about the ongoing cases against the PAD leadership?

People who are wearing their yellow blinkers have the ability to filter reason out of their thoughts and vision. As for myself, I have an aversion for the elite who make even more money off the backs of the poor. The rich want to keep the working people poor and ignorant. Poor Thai people are easier to steal from because they have no choice other than to accept what the elite offer them.

Both my Thai wife and my best Thai friend were yellow shirt enthusiasts. I might add that my best Thai friend is educated and was an English translator before he retired. Both of them have come to the conclusion that all the veteran politicians are corrupt and that it makes no difference what party they profess to belong to.

GaryA --- how nice for you :)

You seem to have missed the last line of text that you quoted.

Thaksin fully fits your description of "elite". Everyone else on the board seems to know that for most of the people "elite" just seems to mean "rich people we cannot identify." The rank and file of the reds are for the most part under-educated and easy to control. Thaksin has demonstrated this. The rank and file of the yellows for the most part are FAR from being "elite". They are in fact, the relatively new class of people in Thailand. The emerging middle-class. The conclusion that ALL veteran politicians are corrupt is pretty ignorant, don't you think? I do think that most are. I certainly have high hopes for Abhisit and Korn.

MCOT: Thaksin urges supporters: Don't give up, 'I'm a symbol of injustice'...

post-6428-1268578933_thumb.jpg

The symbol of injustice!

post-6428-1268578988_thumb.png

Forget about Somchai...

post-6428-1268579015_thumb.jpg

...or the innocent victims in Thaksin's "War on Drugs." Never had a trial.

post-6428-1268579031_thumb.jpg

Perhaps someday Mr. Thaksin, you will get the justice you really deserve!

HOW CAN THE GENERAL THAI PEOPLE CAN BE

SERIOULY ACCEPTED THIS WHOLE ACTION SET

UP BY THAKSIN !

If i understand correctly, you are asking why we beleive that the reds are set up and organized by thaksin and his puppets right?

well the answer is because he openly admitted it when he phones in to the red, talk to the red+ wears a red shirt during his web cam talks with the reds, also because the red movement coincide too much with Thaksin's losses, has to be more than a coincidence right

Am I a Thaksin hater? Pretty much, as any rational person would be imho :D Just as it is clear that the yellows were the recipients of far more violence than the reds and not all of it from the hands of the government. Remember the grenade attacks at both Government House and Suwannapoom?

People who are wearing their yellow blinkers have the ability to filter reason out of their thoughts and vision. As for myself, I have an aversion for the elite who make even more money off the backs of the poor. The rich want to keep the working people poor and ignorant. Poor Thai people are easier to steal from because they have no choice other than to accept what the elite offer them.

Both my Thai wife and my best Thai friend were yellow shirt enthusiasts. I might add that my best Thai friend is educated and was an English translator before he retired. Both of them have come to the conclusion that all the veteran politicians are corrupt and that it makes no difference what party they profess to belong to.

Your post is spot on GARY! The yellow shirt bullies like JD would have you believe that the red shirts coming to protest in Bangkok represent a national securtity risk, while they play down the takeover over the governemnt buildings and the siege of the airport by the yellow shirts as a binine act :) If it wasn't so sad it would be funny! The government, military and police stood by while the yellow shirt hooligans layed siege to nthe airport and ransacked the government buildings, and now you see just the opposite reaction by the governemnt, when red shirt thais from the countryside try and come to Bangkok to have a peaceful protest the governemnt orders a massive military presence and roadblocks trying to prevent the protesters from entering the city :D It would seem that the present government has much fear of the voice of the people from the countryside :D

Your post is spot on GARY! The yellow shirt bullies like JD would have you believe that the red shirts coming to protest in Bangkok represent a national securtity risk, while they play down the takeover over the governemnt buildings and the siege of the airport by the yellow shirts as a binine act :) If it wasn't so sad it would be funny! The government, military and police stood by while the yellow shirt hooligans layed siege to nthe airport and ransacked the government buildings, and now you see just the opposite reaction by the governemnt, when red shirt thais from the countryside try and come to Bangkok to have a peaceful protest the governemnt orders a massive military presence and roadblocks trying to prevent the protesters from entering the city :D It would seem that the present government has much fear of the voice of the people from the countryside :D

Thaksin apologists are starting to whine now, probably because they know that so far this weekend has been a damp squib. Hilarious though that they do not include Thaksin as a member of the elite or the rich. Came to Bangkok to have a peaceful protest? I thought one of their leaders wanted to turn Bangkok into a sea of flame. Just like the reds tried last Songkran when they hijacked an oil tanker and attacked locals with baseball bats.

LOL ..

How's Vegas, vic?

I don't know where to begin ... but let's try Sept 08 followed by October 08 ---

Then you can discuss Arisman and Sae Daeng (and the lack of anything similar to Sept 08 and Oct o8 as a response) When you finish with that you can tell us about the peaceful red demonstration of Songkran 09 and Pattaya ASEAN 09 ...

(this should be good for a laugh!)

I hope Thaksin realizes by now that he has no political future left in Thailand. I know most Thais will forgive ppl after a few years if that person remains quiet (aka Suchinda) but not Thaksin. He just has to mess everything up.

Thaksin apologists are starting to whine now, probably because they know that so far this weekend has been a damp squib. Hilarious though that they do not include Thaksin as a member of the elite or the rich. Came to Bangkok to have a peaceful protest? I thought one of their leaders wanted to turn Bangkok into a sea of flame. Just like the reds tried last Songkran when they hijacked an oil tanker and attacked locals with baseball bats.

Yes next is 'Storming the 11th Infantry Barracks' what brilliant strategy!

Seems Abhisit camping out securly there will distract the Reds from going after

actually functioning government buildings, so work goes on anyway.

The bottom line is;

Thaksin has no support from any real authority figures in ALL of Thailand,

and so he is left to spend his money and TRY to cause trouble,

but they won't allow it to get out of hand.

he USED to be in that general authority group,

but he SCREWED UP BIG TIME... and continues to.

And his puppet party is isolated and can only try street action because as a viable opposition party

they are neutered. As long as the legitimate greivences of some of the red followers are harnessed to

the revenge and face recovery fantasies of Thaksin, they can NOT get justice no matter how legitimate

some of their wants may be..

Time to rethink their methods of getting things done.

Thaksin apologists or red Shirt rebranding PT weenies have a Sisyphusian mountain to climb in this one,

and they have not the moral and legitimate fortitude to keep pushing indefinitely.

This is like his 3rd 'last chance' already. It's like a final Eagles tour. With the estimated 400 Billion ++ Thaksin has hidden abroad, there is enough funding for many many more demonstrations and thuggery.

I am not sorry to make THIS statement,

HOW many Taksins are out there,how much money,cash or otherwise is abroad which belngs to the Thai gevernment and populace??

I must say,Switzerland,Liechtenstein,Andorra,BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS,Samoa Bahamas are Tax heavens(whoever coined that phrase is maybe a crook himself),those countrys should be punished for the aiding and abetting of Thiefery any hidden loot of the Taksins ilk.

Yes next is 'Storming the 11th Infantry Barracks' what brilliant strategy!

Seems Abhisit camping out securly there will distract the Reds from going after

actually functioning government buildings, so work goes on anyway.

The bottom line is;

Thaksin has no support from any real authority figures in ALL of Thailand,

and so he is left to spend his money and TRY to cause trouble,

but they won't allow it to get out of hand.

he USED to be in that general authority group,

but he SCREWED UP BIG TIME... and continues to.

And his puppet party is isolated and can only try street action because as a viable opposition party

they are neutered. As long as the legitimate greivences of some of the red followers are harnessed to

the revenge and face recovery fantasies of Thaksin, they can NOT get justice no matter how legitimate

some of their wants may be..

Time to rethink their methods of getting things done.

Thaksin apologists or red Shirt rebranding PT weenies have a Sisyphusian mountain to climb in this one,

and they have not the moral and legitimate fortitude to keep pushing indefinitely.

As this is a International Forum,let me say this: "make Taksin Staatsfeind numero uno" put a bounty on his head and you will see if 5 million baht would sway even his best and fiercest supporter.

I read in the Bangkok Pest (typo) that 2 motorcycles have been showing support of the red bloodhounds on their travel to Bangkok.

Stop them from travelling back home and put the worst in jail.

The motorcycles in fact were Choppers and Carabue fans,seems all misfits are supporter of the DEVIL in RED,why the Leader never himself wears a red shirt etc, because he is a coward par excellence,hiding behind the misleaded poor and desolates.

The elites and aristocrates are not the real probelm in Thailand.

Take all the hures and bargirls away from their liars and you see how many tourists will flock to Thaialnd.

See one church/temple etc and palast and you see them all.

As to the Taksins wealth,how many banks/SET etc have aided and abetted Him to shift his ill gotten wealth abroad??

Sure he left for Hongkong with 20 siutcases full of USD not monopoly thai baht,how many traveel to Mae sai and burma to moneylaunder thei money in the casino owned by Chavalit,same goes in Cambodia,thats why they opened the border so swiftly to go about th norman business and NOBADY check's you going out with any amount of money.

This is like his 3rd 'last chance' already. It's like a final Eagles tour. With the estimated 400 Billion ++ Thaksin has hidden abroad, there is enough funding for many many more demonstrations and thuggery.

but this gathering will gauge his support from the masses that swept him into power of the days of old,

you would have to think that if this weekends event is a flop, he will finally call it quits, heres hoping anyway

That as fair statement but unfortunately focuses on Thaksin instead of equal and fair access to government for all Thais.

The real question is "If the event is a flop (defined by many as record crowds), will the Thais who seeks equality disappear or will Thailand evolve to strive to include all Thais in the future development of their country?"

We don't yet know the outcome of the event nor do we know the impact it will have on the future of Thailand.

We should all hope that we will all learn from this experience and hope it leads Thailand in a peaceful and prosperous direction.

This fact you picked here, is the solution as the answer to the riddle, "The Nation" might be seen as "biased", as other Media like "Truth Today" is just as biased towards the "other end"!

BUT it shows neat and clear the core of the situation ...oooooppppss... ?

That the ones yelling for "genuine democracy" aren't really interested in "real, eatable democracy" and finding themselves more and more abandoned.... people may slowly understand what the red campaign basically really is all about!

Educate the rural masses!

Explain and inform them what this whole "Thaksin-Yellowshirt-Redshirt" Campaign over the last few years is all about. show some maturity, forget the "loss of face", the "mai pen rai, mai mee pen haa" attitude for a while, get real and explain the coup too, why and how this all, till today had to happen, in a way that everyone can understand, not cheap tricks, no lies just as is...!

...and then let the people decide!

I anticipate that most still have no clue and are let around blindfolded in the dark - THIS is The PROBLEM of this Nation!

Edited by Samuian

That fact of the matter is that the Thai elite, meaning the REAL power have a serious problem with no way out. They were able to outlaw the most popular political party but that did no good. They CAN'T have new elections because they would then have to scrap the present constitution and have another coup.

The problem is how to make sure the majority of Thai people are unable to vote. If Thaksin were assassinated today, this puppet government would still lose a new election.

That fact of the matter is that the Thai elite, meaning the REAL power have a serious problem with no way out. They were able to outlaw the most popular political party but that did no good. They CAN'T have new elections because they would then have to scrap the present constitution and have another coup.

The problem is how to make sure the majority of Thai people are unable to vote. If Thaksin were assassinated today, this puppet government would still lose a new election.

Quite amusing that Thaksin apologists persist with the idea that Thaksin is not a member of the elite. He is. He represents a spilt in the elite.

As for asking the question what would happen if Thaksin were not around. That would be wonderful.

The Thai stock market would roar and growth would be even higher.

The reds only exist as Thaksin's handmaidens, so with Thaksin gone they would likely either collapse or sell themselves off to the next would-be corrupt visionary in line.

Edited by yoshiwara