Why Do People Who Live Here Always Go Out Of There Way To Say How Good It Is ?

dave30

Of course, there are reasons other than cheap sex that one would want to live here;

The way that you are made to feel welcome, the ease of obtaining a visa and staying long term, the stability of the Government.

Thailand is virtually corruption free the police and Immigration are helpful and polite, you are treated as an equal everything that is ‘open’ to a Thai national is also ‘open’ to you at the same price.

The infrastructure is the best, excellent roads, abundant cheap fresh water, and guaranteed electricity 24/7 this coupled with a pollution free atmosphere ensures a stress free environment.

Driving in Thailand is a pleasure, the people are so courteous when driving, the taxi’s and tuk-tuk’s are safe and offer a cheap and reliable way to get around, fatal accidents are almost unheard of; if you are unfortunately involved in an accident, you can rest assured that you will receive the best available treatment at one of the many State hospitals, of course at the same price as a Thai national.

A visit to one of the numerous bars where you can engage in an intellectual conversation with one of the girls is a must. When you get fed up with the bar scene, you can take a massage, visit a temple or you can visit one of the many museums and art galleries scattered around major cities. Of course, you can simply walk around and take in the abundant amazing architecture.

Shopping is an experience not to be missed, you can rest assured that you will be given the fairest price; the local products are first class and all come with a ‘no quibble’ money back guarantee.

When it is time to eat there is so much to choose from, there is rice, noodles, frogs, insects all prepared personally for you in a hygienic environment, there are also plenty of cheap International restaurants.

If you decide to invest in Thailand, you may want to seriously consider purchasing a property this is a safe easy fuss free operation, and offers a great return on your investment.

You will soon make many friends in the land of smiles many of whom will at some time ask to borrow money have no fear these requests are genuine and prompt repayment is guaranteed.

Once you have ‘settled into’ your trouble free dream home and you have children there will come a time when you will have to start thinking about education, this is not an issue there are many affordable English Programme schools with highly qualified teaching staff. You always have the option of sending your children to a State School these offer some of the best facilities in Asia, then onto one of the many cheap internationally recognised Universities.

Oh, did I mention the cheap sex industry?

Brilliant, and all true. But somehow folk will still try to tell you Thailand is better than everywhere else. I just don't know how they do it. It's not like the weather/climate is even good here.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are eating Thai at 5 star restaurants then you are not eating real Thai food.

o f course not as 5-star restaurants do not exist, neither in Thailand nor anywhere else on this planet.

The vast majority of expats living in Thailand are living at a very low standard particularly in places like Pattaya they live in a 35sqm room similar to the size of a toilet in the west.

yeah, yeah, yeah... do you or anybody else you know have a toilet measuring 35m²? is that stuff you ingest legal? :)

I built a home in Thailand with cash, a nice home that would have cost me 3-4 times as much in the UK or US. And it's bought and paid for with no need to worry about the shackles of a 30-year mortgage. Doing that would never have been affordable or even possible in the US or UK.

Do you mean you built a house in your wifes name or a dodgy Thai company name? The only realistic way to hang onto 'your' property here is the 30 year lease dodge. In the UK of course you, or immigrants for that matter, can build and own their own houses on their own land, not here and not prospect of it ever happening. You ARE in denial if you think the house is yours, even the electricity bill is not allowed to be in a falang name.

From what i can see, the posters who seem to dislike thailand tend to have one thing in come- low incomes. To live anywhere comfortably requires some level of minimum income- any thing less and the constant watching of expenses and cost cutting will get you down and more generally down about where you live (whether in UK, USA or Thailand ).

i appreciate that you said it and i don't have to :)

I built a home in Thailand with cash, a nice home that would have cost me 3-4 times as much in the UK or US. And it's bought and paid for with no need to worry about the shackles of a 30-year mortgage. Doing that would never have been affordable or even possible in the US or UK.

Do you mean you built a house in your wifes name or a dodgy Thai company name? The only realistic way to hang onto 'your' property here is the 30 year lease dodge. In the UK of course you, or immigrants for that matter, can build and own their own houses on their own land, not here and not prospect of it ever happening. You ARE in denial if you think the house is yours, even the electricity bill is not allowed to be in a falang name.

not to forget that in UK you can take your house to the crematorium or to the graveyard when they lay you to rest. and as far as the electricity bill is concerned it is clear that you possess a wealth of no bloody idea.

Its cool, you're entitled to your own opinion but try to resist saying that you are speaking for "at least 50 % of the farangs who live here". That makes you look a bit of an ass.

We all go through phases here in Thailand and there is no use in trying to deny others their right to wear rose colored glasses for as long as they wish. There is room for everyone, negative and positive. I prefer to hang with the positive, however. Better for my disposition.

But in saying Thailand is great you have to push all of the things out of your mind that are not so great...

and enjoy one of the greatest advantages on earth which is living FREE of INCOME TAX. but that is of course beyond the comprehension of those poor boys who never earned enough to be liable for paying tax.

Its cool, you're entitled to your own opinion but try to resist saying that you are speaking for "at least 50 % of the farangs who live here". That makes you look a bit of an ass.

We all go through phases here in Thailand and there is no use in trying to deny others their right to wear rose colored glasses for as long as they wish. There is room for everyone, negative and positive. I prefer to hang with the positive, however. Better for my disposition.

make that ass² or ass³ :)

make that ass² or ass³ :)

arse?

First of all, try quoting the correct person.

I own the house and my partner owns the property. So what? We're at 6 years plus and going strong. If our relationship tanks someday, then she keeps the house which will then be passed on to her daughter. If our relationship continues to prosper, then when I die, she keeps the house which will then be passed on to her daughter. I'm not in any denial at all.

Second, if you have a 30-year mortgage and a wife and family in the west, who really "owns" the house?" Do you think that house belongs to you? If the value of the house has fallen below the balance on the mortgage, do you really "own" anything at all other than bad debt? What happens if the wife dumps you? Or if you lose your job and can't keep up with the payments? That will tell you who really "owns" the house.

So exactly who is in denial about what?

Edited by Spee

But somehow folk will still try to tell you Thailand is better than everywhere else. I just don't know how they do it. It's not like the weather/climate is even good here.

i agree with you but that is a matter or perception. tell the tourists at the beaches that the weather/climate is not good and they will call you a fool.

Brilliant, and all true. But somehow folk will still try to tell you Thailand is better than everywhere else. I just don't know how they do it. It's not like the weather/climate is even good here.

It may not be better than EVERYWHERE else, but it is still a great place to live.

I go back to Australia for a holiday, and it's clean, and it's quiet, and it's easy to get around, and it's SOOOOO BORING.

EDIT: Overall, it's what YOU think of it. Some people like the climate, some people don't. Some people like the cheap sex, some people don't. Most people live here for a long time because they don't like living in their native countries.

Edited by anotherpeter

Of course, there are reasons other than cheap sex that one would want to live here;

The way that you are made to feel welcome, the ease of obtaining a visa and staying long term, the stability of the Government.

Thailand is virtually corruption free the police and Immigration are helpful and polite, you are treated as an equal everything that is 'open' to a Thai national is also 'open' to you at the same price.

The infrastructure is the best, excellent roads, abundant cheap fresh water, and guaranteed electricity 24/7 this coupled with a pollution free atmosphere ensures a stress free environment.

Driving in Thailand is a pleasure, the people are so courteous when driving, the taxi's and tuk-tuk's are safe and offer a cheap and reliable way to get around, fatal accidents are almost unheard of; if you are unfortunately involved in an accident, you can rest assured that you will receive the best available treatment at one of the many State hospitals, of course at the same price as a Thai national.

A visit to one of the numerous bars where you can engage in an intellectual conversation with one of the girls is a must. When you get fed up with the bar scene, you can take a massage, visit a temple or you can visit one of the many museums and art galleries scattered around major cities. Of course, you can simply walk around and take in the abundant amazing architecture.

Shopping is an experience not to be missed, you can rest assured that you will be given the fairest price; the local products are first class and all come with a 'no quibble' money back guarantee.

When it is time to eat there is so much to choose from, there is rice, noodles, frogs, insects all prepared personally for you in a hygienic environment, there are also plenty of cheap International restaurants.

If you decide to invest in Thailand, you may want to seriously consider purchasing a property this is a safe easy fuss free operation, and offers a great return on your investment.

You will soon make many friends in the land of smiles many of whom will at some time ask to borrow money have no fear these requests are genuine and prompt repayment is guaranteed.

Once you have 'settled into' your trouble free dream home and you have children there will come a time when you will have to start thinking about education, this is not an issue there are many affordable English Programme schools with highly qualified teaching staff. You always have the option of sending your children to a State School these offer some of the best facilities in Asia, then onto one of the many cheap internationally recognised Universities.

Oh, did I mention the cheap sex industry?

You just broke the sarcasm meter.

I guess that many people are so happy about some pro's about Thailand that they just forget about the con's. Or maybe the cons do not apply to them because of age, income, family status...

not to forget that in UK you can take your house to the crematorium or to the graveyard when they lay you to rest. and as far as the electricity bill is concerned it is clear that you possess a wealth of no bloody idea.

Idiotic comments about taking your house with you to the crem, at least it IS yours and not some fantasy ownership as in the land of corruption. Do you have an electricity bill in your name?-of course you don't, just another fantasy merchant.

Title was a bit misleading - thought it is normally the other way guessing on the moaning that is normally here on TV.

Been coming here for since 1991, and lived here since 2005 - Thailand - it's not perfect, but then nowhere is. I still can't complain - if it's so bad for the OP, then there is a simple answer - look elsewhere.

Hold on... Where did i say Thailand so ' so bad ' ??? I never did i said Thailand was on about a even with living back in the UK

I guess it is wrong of me to say anything bad at all about Thailand. Thailand is the great country in the world. I hope that makes you all happy.

Farangs who live in Thailand are the most touchy and childish people there are.

There is nothing wrong with complaining about Thailand. Look in my post - "it's not perfect". I complain about it as well, I also have the choice to leave if I so wish. One day I may do that. The touchy person here is you.

I'm totally bummed that I dont have the electric bill for my home in Chiang Mai in my name, Oh wait it isn't in my name at my home in Los angeles either.

I like Thailand so much I bought a FANTASY home that I always wanted. And I don't care that it is in my wifes name!

Some people just don't know how to relax and enjoy life.

From what i can see, the posters who seem to dislike thailand tend to have one thing in come- low incomes. To live anywhere comfortably requires some level of minimum income- any thing less and the constant watching of expenses and cost cutting will get you down and more generally down about where you live (whether in UK, USA or Thailand ).

Yes and No, or rather No and Yes! :) I'm one of those on a low income so that's a no to people on low incomes disliking Thailand as I love it here. On the yes side, cost cutting and watching expenses does get me down a bit, but I'd still rather be a bit down here rather than back in the UK!

But somehow folk will still try to tell you Thailand is better than everywhere else. I just don't know how they do it. It's not like the weather/climate is even good here.

i agree with you but that is a matter or perception. tell the tourists at the beaches that the weather/climate is not good and they will call you a fool.

Yes, but most of them are here for two weeks. I'd say of those that come here for two weeks in the most hot and humid months would tell you them would not like it year round.

The climate here is atrocious. In places like the Uk people hope for a few weeks of sunshine. Sometimes they don't get it. In Thailand we hope for a months or so or reasonable temperatures. Some times we don't get it, like this year. Personally I think the unbearable humidity is more difficult to escape than the cold drizzle. Plus keeping a house cool with AC's is more expensive than keeping a house warm in the Uk.

Well I have seen this asked many times and have yet to see anyone give a valid reason.

I really beleive if there were not so many easy and cheap woman here there wouldn't be 2 men and a dog coming or holiday here

I agree. Whilst some are here for work I do think that if women could be obtained as easily in their own countries or the women were not available here most men would be going somewhere else. I don't just mean those using the sex industry, I mean old men married to young Issan girls too. The girl issue has got to be what people mean when they say 'it is fantastic' as there really is nothing else great about Thailand. I'm sure if Afghanistan had the same availability of women and bad beer, there would soon be men there saying how wonderful it was too.

"Second, if you have a 30-year mortgage and a wife and family in the west, who really "owns" the house?" Do you think that house belongs to you? If the value of the house has fallen below the balance on the mortgage, do you really "own" anything at all other than bad debt? What happens if the wife dumps you? Or if you lose your job and can't keep up with the payments? That will tell you who really "owns" the house.

So exactly who is in denial about what? "

This is so true, a few years ago I thought I owned a 350k house outright in the UK but then my misses had an affair, applied for a divorce and was given the house outright.

A man with a wife and children in the UK owns NOTHING!

What is so good about Thailand .....

the weather, I hate the cold and wet but it can never be too hot for me, I refuse to use air-con

the girls, back in the UK I wouldn't want to date with any girl who would date me (too old)

the housing, in the UK my council tax was higher than my complete housing cost out here (inc utils) and I'm in a 3 bed bungalow (not a toilet)

the food, fresh fruit, not picked unripe and put in cold storage for 6 months before being sold (as is common practise in the UK).

the efficient offices, try getting a driving licence in the UK in 1 day, try getting a bank account and debit card on the spot.

What is so bad about Thailand .....

Unfortunately I can't put that in this forum, I can think of many complaints, but none that the forum would like me to voice.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Where in UK can you have a lovely 80 sq m condo furnished for under 40,000 pounds,a meal out for 2 for under 10 pounds, a good car for under 15,000 pounds,a first class fitness centre for 140 pounds a year,,massage for 4 pounds for 2 hours?

Yes the pound a at a low point of a cycle-but it is a cycle and eventually it will change.

So on the economic side I still think the cost of living is about 40% cheaper even now.

Then if you can stand months of no sun and cold rain (even in summer!) I suppose the UK has some plus points.

But I am a fairly decent looking and fit 60 + and completely invsible to any reasonablec looking lady in the UKunder say 45-50.

I have a lovely 35 year old Thai wife ,educated to degree level,speaking good English from a middle class background-her parents are younger than me but supportive.My first relationship here was bad and I was told a lot of lies but as this is my 8th year in Thailand and I cannot imagine going back to live in the UK

Simple. Ease of life, and freedom.

If you have an actual stable job with a decent income, and know your way around, Thailand is the only place in the world you can experience true freedom.

Hands down, Thailand is the greatest nation on the face of the planet. If you don't like it, go home buddy!!! You won't be missed :)

Simple. Ease of life, and freedom.

If you have an actual stable job with a decent income, and know your way around, Thailand is the only place in the world you can experience true freedom.

Hands down, Thailand is the greatest nation on the face of the planet. If you don't like it, go home buddy!!! You won't be missed :)

Wow, one post and he already has the Thailand uber alles motto down perfect.

The OP seems to think that all people that live here experience Thailand in the same way that he does.

I don't need to go out of my way to say that life here is better (for me) than "back home". It also is not a lie.

Over the years in Thailand I have a close set of friends (mostly Thai but a few foreigners as well). I have a job I enjoy that challenges me every day. The cost of living is lower. There are constantly new things to discover. Travel and entertainment are less expensive etc.

Yes, there are challenges here. There are challenges EVERYWHERE! I just have the type of personality that likes change and challenge and the challenges "back home" were basically SSDD kind of things. Here the challenges that arise daily are new.

I think that not everyone that moves here should (move here). Many people vacation here a time or two and get caught up in the fun and when they move here they discover that life isn't always fun. They are unprepared emotionally (by temperment) to deal with what will come up. They don't learn the language and become either starved for real conversation/companionship or restricted to farang ghettos. The farang ghettos tend to draw people in similar situations and the isolation and negativity tends to build into a negative cycle that they can't break out of. Similarly the farang that move upcountry into the hinterland and fail to assimilate into the local culture at least somewhat have similar isolation issues without even the opportunity to talk about it.

It all boils down to "If life here makes you unhappy, then find some place to live where you ARE happy". Yes that is exeactly the same root meaning as "if you don't like it here, then leave" but with the meaning being more positive. Life is just too dam_n short to choose to live somewhere you are unhappy!

Some people like the cheap sex, some people don't.

Who prefers expensive sex? :D

Obviously those that live in Europe, North America, New Zealand and Australia. :)

And the guy who fell in love and immediately bought a house and a Hilux in someone else's name. :D