Portable Air Conditioners

naamjai

i am living in a rented house without any aircon. i like to cool down the bedroom (15 m2) to about 27 degree,

therefore i think to turn on the air-con only temporary. makro sells a "portable air-con" (attachment). does

anyone have any experience with this kind of air-con? how does it work, what do i have to install?

thanks for any comment

naamjai

air_con.pdf

It might work but you need to put the "condensor unit" outside. This means having a hole (somewhere) through which pipework etc will pass. The hole should be big enough to allow the pipework through without allowing air in or out.

Also, the indoor unit (evaporator) will accumulate water, which must be emptied unless there are adaptions for drainage (somehow).

I dubbed a similar unit "A heat to noise converter." The compressor is inside the main unit, together with a small reservoir for the condense water, which will fill up in a couple of hours. There will be a LARGE hose that will blow HOT air out, you will need a hole of at least 10x10cm to get it outside, or put it through a window. Problem is then the leakage of heat back into the room makes it only usable when you sit right in front of it.

Get a real unit.

• 10 months later...

I dubbed a similar unit "A heat to noise converter." The compressor is inside the main unit, together with a small reservoir for the condense water, which will fill up in a couple of hours. There will be a LARGE hose that will blow HOT air out, you will need a hole of at least 10x10cm to get it outside, or put it through a window. Problem is then the leakage of heat back into the room makes it only usable when you sit right in front of it.

Get a real unit.

If one had a "real unit" I suppose it would be able to keep up with the cool escaping via the hole in the wall. :o I know!................You could fill in that excessively sized hole in the wall!!!

The portable units have VERY high db levels. They are nothing like a real split system a/c unit except in the utility usage. It is not complicated to have "real" a/c installed, but be careful who takes out the a/c units when you move form the rental in terms of the "gas" inside the unit. You will not be happy with the consumer experience of a portable machine in my observation.

The portable air cons are really not to effective. Like posted you need to be right in front of the unit. Worth the extra 6000-7000 baht to get a real air con.I know people here that bought the portable & are only about twice effective as a ceiling fan at best. Something that generates heat as well as cool air is not very effective.