Is It Possible..

KMixon

do any of you know if its possible to buy a roundtrip ticket with no return date? we are about to buy our tickets to chiang mai and are exploring the option of not buying a one way. or is it possible to purchase the tickets and cancel the return, and recieve a voucher for it? hope this makes sense.

thanks.

an open return ticket valid for up to one year - but cheaper would be to book for an exact date and than change (usually there is $50-$400 fee). The best talk to the local travel agent with experience with flights to thailand. Those will give you as well the best deals.

One caution:

One year when I was flying Northwest I didn't know whether I would be having a6 or 7 week vacation and I wanted to maximize my time in Thailand. Friends convinced me to book an open return round-trip ticket. By the time I arrived in Thailand, I knew when I needed to return, so as soon as I arrived I went to the NW office to book my return. No seats were available anytime around my desired return date, even though it was almost two months away. My choices were to shorten my vacation by over two weeks! Or be late to work by 9 days! Both unacceptable to me. I ended up buying a one-way ticket on United. Ouch $$$.

Maybe it was just a bad year. And I know lots of people do it. But just know that the availability of flights in the future can be unpredictable.

Eva Air is the only company I know that allows open return option when booking online on their website and the price is pretty much the same as booking a regular round trip ticket. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe many airlines have stopped offering open returns and at the few that still do it is quite expensive and cost similar to two one way trips. Anyone know other airlines where open tickets can be booked online?